2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is 18 inch wheel swap possible for X model with 22s from factory?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2022, 07:09 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is 18 inch wheel swap possible for X model with 22s from factory?

I have a 90X with 22 inch wheels from factory. Before you ask, i bought like this from lot to avoid wait times.

I'd love to put 18s on, struggling to justify the cost to downsize to 20s for off-road tires you can't really air down.

As has been pointed out in forum, the discs rotors are larger so can't do the TuffAnt caliper swap, confirmed with them.

My only path to 18s I can think of is to swap brake setup to OEM as if I'd originally ordered 20 inch wheels from factory, and THEN do calliper swap or grind calipers.

BUT even the OEM swap on its own my Landy service centre said could void warranty. How can swapping down to what they put on the car themselves with 20 wheels void warranty?? 🤦

Or I can wait for someone to come up with a signed off breaking solution... Might be an old man by then.

Bit of a nightmare. Anyone solved this one or have more info?

Old 08-19-2022, 07:28 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 246 Likes on 131 Posts

it possible with enough $

https://lucky8llc.com/collections/de...brake-calipers

That's the only 'kit' i've found, there are plenty of do-it-yourself options too. I keep hoping there's a combination lift rod/20" tire option coming. i need the towing capacity and messing with the brakes isn't fun for that.

Old 08-20-2022, 01:07 AM
Drifting
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi Mike,

In case you decide to go the route of 20s. I have a mint set available: https://landroverforums.com/forum/market/113414
I sold my Defender and don't need them.
I'm located in Utah.

Old 08-20-2022, 09:53 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

The short answer is No.

The long answer is yes, if money is no object.

You will need to change out the full front brake assembly, rotor, caliper, etc.

You will need to change out the full rear assembly, and then also add the lucky 8 modification.

I too fell into your position, had a great deal on an inbound X that was speced exactly how I wanted, except the 22" wheels. I asked and asked if the 22's had different brakes and everyone and thing assured me that all p400 have the same brakes. Well, thats not true. So, congrats you got a free brake upgrade, but like me, you are just gonna have to eat it, and go with 20's and better tires. I am not past it. I have 33's on 20s now and I kinda love it. Plus the brakes are ridiculous.

The following users liked this post:
DrPizz (08-23-2022)
Old 08-20-2022, 11:27 AM
Mudding
Received 88 Likes on 56 Posts

as the others have said, it's possible, but requires a fair amount of work (and cash). anyway, i made the switch from 22's to 20's and that works just fine for my needs. but yeah, it's not gonna get all the off-road benefits an 18 will give you. good luck. keep us posted.

Old 08-20-2022, 07:21 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 185 Likes on 109 Posts

Side Question, but is the Off-Road Pack available with 22’s, because it comes with off- road tires which I know can’t be equipped with the 22’s, on least on my order’s model, SE? I ask because for most trims you can’t equip it on the build and price if it has them, but can equip 22’s on the X model which doesn’t even show the Off-Road Pack, so I’m assuming it’s standard, unless I’m wrong.

I ask because I would like the 22’s, and possibly the rear diff lock, but really hate the off-road tire selection and don’t want swap tires on my new order.

Old 08-23-2022, 04:22 AM
8th Gear

Thanks all. Appreciate hearing from others who faced this.

If the warranty issue wasn't a thing I'd maybe invest in the bigger conversion, but it would be a little crazy to spend that much and void the warranty. Paradigm, sj24k, I think I'll go with the 20s and some 33" too.

webops I'm over in Australia so not for me but cheers.

Royalist, sorry don't have a good answer for you, hopefully someone else will.

Old 08-23-2022, 09:13 AM
Mudding
Received 88 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by defendermike
I think I'll go with the 20s and some 33" too..
Just fyi you’ll prob need some type of lift to fit a 33. Take a look at the no lift tire guide thread to see people’s experience. My understanding and experience says closer to 32” is about as big as you can fit unlifted. But others here will be better qualified to confirm. Of course if you’re lifting the truck, then you’re good.

Old 08-23-2022, 10:15 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 185 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by defendermike
Thanks all. Appreciate hearing from others who faced this.

If the warranty issue wasn't a thing I'd maybe invest in the bigger conversion, but it would be a little crazy to spend that much and void the warranty. Paradigm, sj24k, I think I'll go with the 20s and some 33" too.

webops I'm over in Australia so not for me but cheers.

Royalist, sorry don't have a good answer for you, hopefully someone else will.
Yeah I might make a separate post about that question, thanks though.

Old 08-23-2022, 04:58 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by sj24k
Just fyi you’ll prob need some type of lift to fit a 33. Take a look at the no lift tire guide thread to see people’s experience. My understanding and experience says closer to 32” is about as big as you can fit unlifted. But others here will be better qualified to confirm. Of course if you’re lifting the truck, then you’re good.
Thanks for heads up. I should have said I'd been down that rabbit hole too and will be going with a lift. Even 34s were tempting given the large rim size, but then we get into cooler mods and trimming so 33s it is.