2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st Wrecked Defender I’ve Seen in Person and Side Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2022, 10:33 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 174 Likes on 104 Posts

Meaning because it has AEB, Defenders shouldn't get in accidents? We know nothing about the cause of this accident.

The following users liked this post:
Royalist (06-12-2022)
Old 06-12-2022, 10:55 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 185 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by sblvro
What happened to the safety features to avoid this crash? AEB, pedestrian avoidance, etc
AEB doesn’t stop you from hitting a deer jumping out of nowhere or a car coming at you head-on/T-Bone. Kind of a silly statement.

Last edited by Royalist; 06-12-2022 at 10:58 AM.
Old 06-12-2022, 11:05 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,407 Likes on 710 Posts

What happened to the safety features to avoid this crash? AEB, pedestrian avoidance, etc
Copart always has the biggest selection of low mileage Defenders available.

https://www.copart.com/lotSearchResu...ch%22:false%7D

All the safety systems in the world won't stop people from pushing them past their reasonable limits.

Fortunately, only a couple are biohazard (body fluids).

Royalist (06-12-2022)
Old 06-12-2022, 03:32 PM
Winching
Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Royalist
AEB doesn’t stop you from hitting a deer jumping out of nowhere or a car coming at you head-on/T-Bone. Kind of a silly statement.
From the safety videos it actually stops accidents from happening. It actually turns the steering to avoid left turn accidents.

Old 06-12-2022, 04:41 PM
Rock Crawling

From the safety videos it actually stops accidents from happening. It actually turns the steering to avoid left turn accidents.
That’s an intersection assist based system not the base AEB, every system is different and every scenario is different. It will attempt to avoid a crash, depending on the environment, or will mitigate it. However, there is logic involved, ie, so many parameters have to be met. For instance AEB doesn’t do anything if the vehicle is stopped. AEB won’t prevent you from going into a ditch, and some instances a stationary object, like a pole or a tree. There’s a lot that goes into it, and it’s not just as simple as saying, AEB prevents frontal collisions every time or against other vehicles.

Old 06-13-2022, 08:33 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,254 Likes on 746 Posts

For 30 years I was a volunteer EMT. Saw a LOT of carnage. Sat in a lot of CEU courses. In one of them, I remember someone quoting a traffic statistic. No idea if it's true and really don't care. It's a reference point. The instructor said you had a 1 in 6,000 chance of dying in a traffic accident. So every time I hear about a vehicle self driving accident, I read where people expect the miraculous. They are shocked when a self driven car finally gets in an accident after a million miles. Or they get mad that the AI made a decision that resulted in a crash (or worse injury). If a car runs the intersection, when a cyclist is passing on the right, and a deer jumps into the road, all while a pedestrian is jaywalking - and it veers out of the road and hurts someone.... You get the point. There are frequent edge cases, difficult situations, or other Kobayashi Maru situations (aka, no win scenarios). Personally, I'm not looking for a perfect auto protection software. Heck, I would think it were a God send if we limited the fatalities to 1 in 20,000. And to get there, it's not the edge cases. Those represent a crazy fraction. Most of those are just straight up, plane jane, driver stupidity or distraction. THOSE are the things I love auto safe navigation for.

No ill toward anyone's statement about this particular use case. But, frankly, I'm ok with it. It's WAY better than a human and I'm pretty happy with the substantial help that's it's doing. And I accept there are lots of edge cases.

jusmax88 (07-10-2022)
Old 06-14-2022, 12:38 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,297 Likes on 948 Posts

Originally Posted by GrouseK9
....words .....Kobayashi Maru situations ....... and stuff
Do I like this post?

The following 2 users liked this post by GavinC:
GrouseK9 (06-14-2022), jusmax88 (07-10-2022)
Old 06-14-2022, 08:08 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,254 Likes on 746 Posts

Yeah, I just finished a 2 year quest to watch EVERY episode of EVERY series of Star Trek. All 12 series, close to a thousand episodes. Some are still running, but as of today: DONE for the next few years. It was a marathon and I'm done running for a while.

So, yeah, I had to stick that in there....(and thinks for the GIF!).

GavinC (06-14-2022)
Old 06-14-2022, 09:48 AM
Overlanding
Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Yulongtd6
I'd jump on the V8 at 10k over.
I ordered my v8 almost a year before it delivered and the dealer still required a $5k additional over MSRP because they were doing me a favor by letting me have it (not that I am bitter). Agree - $10k and you can have it immediately sounds like an OK deal in today's crazy market.

Old 06-17-2022, 02:28 PM
Rock Crawling

Yeah I decided to go with a Launch Stock Unit, a '23 Range Rover Sport at MSRP, at a local dealer. Only one who knows about it apparently so first in line for it.

Quick Reply: 1st Wrecked Defender I’ve Seen in Person and Side Question