Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2022 Defender recovery points / tow hooks

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2021, 09:58 AM
8th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question 2022 Defender recovery points / tow hooks

i was texting with my local Land Rover dealer yesterday, and asked which Defender model if any comes with recovery points and maybe even factory installed tow hooks. His response is this: "Also yes with the X-Dynamic trim you get black front and rear recovery hooks!". I've not been able to confirm this in Defender spec sheets or brochure. Have any of you purchased a 2022 110 X-Dynamic HSE and can you confirm what the recovery points / tow hooks situation is?

Note - I am not a DIY'er. I much prefer to buy factory installed...

Thank you,
- Looper

23JULl2021 update: Relevant info found on this website: The D7x platform also includes rated recovery points: one on the front and two at the rear. They have been rated to a 6.5-tonne dynamic ****** load – exactly what you need for off-road recoveries.

Last edited by looperdolly; 07-23-2021 at 01:39 PM. Reason: updated information
Old 07-19-2021, 09:30 PM
8th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Update: LR dealer recommends install a Front Undershield Part Number: VPLEP0436.
Photo attached.

Front Undershield A robust, 5mm anodised aluminum front undershield with a bright finish provides protection to the front lower bumper area and radiator when driving off-road. The undershield is also reinforced by the mounting assembly which enhances the protection. Allows easy access to the recovery loop which facilitates recovery of the vehicle if grounded. Rigorously tested to adhere to all pedestrian protection regulations, the undershield includes enhanced and comprehensive corrosion resist

Old 07-21-2021, 02:20 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 700 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by looperdolly
Update: LR dealer recommends install a Front Undershield Part Number: VPLEP0436.
Photo attached.

Front Undershield A robust, 5mm anodised aluminum front undershield with a bright finish provides protection to the front lower bumper area and radiator when driving off-road. The undershield is also reinforced by the mounting assembly which enhances the protection. Allows easy access to the recovery loop which facilitates recovery of the vehicle if grounded. Rigorously tested to adhere to all pedestrian protection regulations, the undershield includes enhanced and comprehensive corrosion resist
The front undershield is worth every penny, as removing the standard flimsy plastic cover to access the recovery point is a real pain while in the field (to the point where some on this forum have cut out a hole in the plastic cover in order to not twice suffer having to remove it), and the standard cover does not provide any meaningful protection.

I have gouged the OEM one across a rock, just recently, and it worked as promised.

There is not available yet in the aftermarket (I am pretty sure) a comparable option without resorting to converting the entire bumper to metal (Sarek offers that one).

Enjoy!

Last edited by TrioLRowner; 07-21-2021 at 02:23 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by TrioLRowner:
Bsooudi (07-21-2021), looperdolly (07-22-2021)
Old 07-21-2021, 02:24 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by looperdolly
i was texting with my local Land Rover dealer yesterday, and asked which Defender model if any comes with recovery points and maybe even factory installed tow hooks. His response is this: "Also yes with the X-Dynamic trim you get black front and rear recovery hooks!". I've not been able to confirm this in Defender spec sheets or brochure. Have any of you purchased a 2022 110 X-Dynamic HSE and can you confirm what the recovery points / tow hooks situation is?

Note - I am not a DIY'er. I much prefer to buy factory installed...

Thank you,
- Looper
Can confirm X-Dynamic HSE comes with recovery hooks.

The following users liked this post:
looperdolly (07-22-2021)
Old 07-21-2021, 03:22 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,403 Likes on 689 Posts

All X-Dynamics do. Mine's an SE.

And while all Defenders, to my knowledge, come with the front tow hook, as Trio points out, it's only if you order the thousand-dollar aluminum Front Undershield that you get access to the front one without having to unbolt anything. Or, as he also pointed out, you can cut a permanent hole in the standard plastic one, but that would qualify as DIY.

Cheers!

The following 2 users liked this post by NoGaBiker:
looperdolly (07-22-2021), TrioLRowner (07-21-2021)
Old 07-21-2021, 03:48 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,279 Likes on 764 Posts

As mentioned above, all X-Dynamics have the Rear eyes and the front can be accessed by dropping four trim screws. To have it permanently exposed with a lot better protection around it, you will need the front skid plate that @looperdolly referenced above.

Here's a link: https://www.ownerinfo.landrover.com/.../proc/G2389887

Last edited by GrouseK9; 07-21-2021 at 03:51 PM.
looperdolly (07-22-2021)
Old 07-21-2021, 04:14 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 700 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
All X-Dynamics do. Mine's an SE.

And while all Defenders, to my knowledge, come with the front tow hook, as Trio points out, it's only if you order the thousand-dollar aluminum Front Undershield that you get access to the front one without having to unbolt anything. Or, as he also pointed out, you can cut a permanent hole in the standard plastic one, but that would qualify as DIY.

Cheers!
$1000? Whoa, the price has gone up ! Or maybe that includes paying JLR to install it (likely).

I ordered separately and DIYed mine, and it is doable -- but does require a willingness to remove the front bumper and several other items. Mine was going off-road right away and I knew without it I would be risking the radiator.

Maybe not worth it if you do not plan to go off-road -- but again the rear ones would not be needed then, either.

In any case, the front undershield can always be added later. Enjoy !!

The following 2 users liked this post by TrioLRowner:
GrouseK9 (07-21-2021), looperdolly (07-22-2021)
Old 07-21-2021, 04:18 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,403 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by TrioLRowner
$1000? Whoa, the price has gone up ! Or maybe that includes paying JLR to install it (likely).

I ordered separately and DIYed mine, and it is doable -- but does require a willingness to remove the front bumper and several other items. Mine was going off-road right away and I knew without it I would be risking the radiator.

Maybe not worth it if you do not plan to go off-road -- but again the rear ones would not be needed then, either.

In any case, the front undershield can always be added later. Enjoy !!
$1000 is the cost as an option, installed in Nitra. Or at least it was on March 25th, 2021.

looperdolly (07-22-2021)
Old 07-21-2021, 04:27 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,507 Likes on 1,018 Posts

Yes it's 870 and change on the build website but a flat 1k as a factory installed option. I'm happy to pay the little bit more for beefy skid plate and not have to have the dealer remove the new bumper. All those clips and what not. There's no way they're going to get it factory new.

I'm a bit of a clutz and need a skid plate there.

Old 07-21-2021, 07:20 PM
Winching
Received 246 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by GavinC
Yes it's 870 and change on the build website but a flat 1k as a factory installed option. I'm happy to pay the little bit more for beefy skid plate and not have to have the dealer remove the new bumper. All those clips and what not. There's no way they're going to get it factory new.

I'm a bit of a clutz and need a skid plate there.
It's not a factory installed option unfortunately. It's a port install meaning someone takes apart your defender to install the under shield. If the port installers don't have the part in stock then it does not get installed.

The port install is cheaper than what the dealer charges for labor.

Quick Reply: 2022 Defender recovery points / tow hooks