Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2022 Defender Stop/Sell?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2021, 10:34 AM
Overlanding
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 2022 Defender Stop/Sell?

I just received an email from my dealership this morning concerning my 2022 Defender X order which is due to be delivered any day now.

“We just found out yesterday that there is a recall on all Defenders that is considered a safety issue. It has something to do with brakes lights and they don't have a fix at this time. To say this is disappointing is an understatement. Nonetheless, we can't sell them.

Yes, it came out yesterday as a stop sell.

So I'll keep you posted, but we can't sell right now because of this.”

My dealership is Land Rover Asheville NC.

Has anyone else with a pending order/delivery heard this?

Old 06-11-2021, 11:19 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Oh wow that's very unfortunate.

Not sure if its the same issue but I have seen on the New Defender FB groups that people have had issues w/ brake lights going out after a bright light had been shined on them. Ex: a car waiting behind at a stop light. People were able to re-create this issue by shining a flashlight on their brake lights. The lights would be completely out until re-starting the car. Definitely a safety issue.

Old 06-11-2021, 11:36 AM
Winching
Received 246 Likes on 173 Posts

There is a video on the FB group of someone showing how the brake lights go out when shining a flashlight at them. It looks like he has been trying to sort out the problem for several months now. Pretty scary since this is something hard to recognize when you are driving.

Can anyone test this on their defender? It might have to be in a dark area or at night to work?

The following users liked this post:
GFranklin (06-11-2021)
Old 06-11-2021, 12:21 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 236 Likes on 97 Posts

I've got one in the pipeline for delivery in the next few weeks... Nothing showing up on the NTSA website, Land Rover Topix or anywhere I can find. My local dealer has no knowledge of this. Something so critical, I expect should be more widely known...

Old 06-11-2021, 12:40 PM
Winching

Im wondering why the rear lights would have a light sensor built into them.

Ahparke (06-11-2021)
Old 06-11-2021, 01:32 PM
Drifting
Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

This is the best answer i've seen from the FB group -
"The lights on the defender maybe acting like a photo diode increasing the current in the circuit causing an overload that causes the circuit to shut down.¬
https://wiki.analog.com/.../electronics-lab-led-sensor "

Also since this is happening across the board to all of the tail lights my guess is that all of our cars will be held until a fix is issued =(
edit: saw an update on this from the same poster:
JLR has a fix for the known issue. Expected to roll-out in 7-8 weeks. All Defenders impacted will be notified. Not certain to the number impacted yet and if it will be a recall.

this is just internet info so not guarantee's on any of it

Last edited by p010sp0rt8; 06-11-2021 at 01:35 PM.
Old 06-11-2021, 01:38 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by p010sp0rt8
This is the best answer i've seen from the FB group -
"The lights on the defender maybe acting like a photo diode increasing the current in the circuit causing an overload that causes the circuit to shut down.¬
https://wiki.analog.com/.../electronics-lab-led-sensor "

Also since this is happening across the board to all of the tail lights my guess is that all of our cars will be held until a fix is issued =(
edit: saw an update on this from the same poster:
JLR has a fix for the known issue. Expected to roll-out in 7-8 weeks. All Defenders impacted will be notified. Not certain to the number impacted yet and if it will be a recall.

this is just internet info so not guarantee's on any of it
JLR having a fix probably bodes well for any recently built defenders. My build date is today, so I guess that is good news if its correct (for me and future builds).

Would love to see someone from this forum test it out their current defender....

GFranklin (06-11-2021)
Old 06-11-2021, 01:55 PM
Mudding
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

I too am expecting my MY22 to arrive at the dealer in the next few/several days - haven't heard anything as of yet, but will certainly post up if the dealer tells me anything.

Old 06-11-2021, 06:15 PM
Overlanding
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Heard back from my dealer this afternoon and they checked Topix and it’s changed from being on a truck for delivery due today to being back at the port with expected delivery/handover now 06/18.

My build date was 04/16 so I don’t know if certain build dates or build date range is being held from being sold or is this just a ker****le the dealer is experiencing and relaying in an imperfect way. I actually dunno what to think at this juncture. Until another member chimes in that they cannot take delivery for the same reason this may very well be a dealer anomaly.

Old 06-11-2021, 06:18 PM
Mudding
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by MrBreeze
I too am expecting my MY22 to arrive at the dealer in the next few/several days - haven't heard anything as of yet, but will certainly post up if the dealer tells me anything.
Just got word that my 4/16 build, just arrived at the dealer (Phoenix) and ready to pick up. They made no mention of any no sell issue.

Gman53 (06-12-2021)

Quick Reply: 2022 Defender Stop/Sell?