Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2022 Major malfunctions

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2022, 10:23 PM
Mudding
Received 70 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by stillruns
The new Defender should be a $60k SUV tops. Paying $75-80k for one of these is bonkers considering all the problems they are riddled with. The only logical conclusion as to why buyers are buying them is that they are visually in a class of their own. Noting comes close to the design. They catch looks around every corner and are conversation pieces at lunch. In a world of boring SUV's, the Defender stands out in the crowd. Other than that, they are junk.
Not to mention that even at 70+, cheap for a Land Rover - especially when vintage versions are 100+

Old 01-11-2022, 08:25 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,279 Likes on 764 Posts

I've thought of this for a while and have come to my own conclusion, ymmv. I don't think of it as a luxury vehicle, I think of it as a scarce vehicle. It's as utilitarian as you can find and it has the classic Land Rover/Lucas electronics problems. Only Lucas has been replaced with terrible software development & design. I don't think and didn't expect to be driving around in luxury when I bought mine. I get that Range Rovers are, but as they say - "this ain't that". I remember the early 1990's when they only came to the US for ~4 years and knew that it would be a low production vehicle with high demand based on heritage. With that in mind, I've never had any expectations of luxury (regardless of price) and little expectation of performance stability. I have been expecting it to continue to hold it's value and increase value, in fact, as the Defender 1 typically does. Especially RHD's in the US! If I bought a '65 Aston Martin, I wouldn't expect modern luxury. But oh man, it would be a sweet (and expensive) car to own & drive.

For those of you expecting a luxury vehicle comfort, performance, etc. - I hope that you get those out of your Defender. I just don't look for them.

The following 2 users liked this post by GrouseK9:
Barstoolman1127 (01-11-2022), Mechano2020 (01-11-2022)
Old 01-11-2022, 09:07 AM
Winching
Received 653 Likes on 318 Posts

Everyone has their own opinion, and I see my 2022 X-Dynamic SE as a luxury vehicle that eats Jeeps for breakfast. When I’m driving down a main road, this thing floats along like I’m in a Rolls Royce, has all the bells, whistles and technology of the highest end exotic car, feels like it could pull out tree stumps, yet when I park it, I have people come around ogling it’s looks. Has anyone sat in your own backseat? I have a 110, and one night after pulling into my garage, I got onto the back seat. A place I’ve rarely seen in years. I couldn’t believe the comfort, space, and feeling of luxury. Like I was in a limousine. The front seat compartment seemed far away. Yet for all its size, it handles nimbly, leaves most cars at the light without even trying, and is a joy to drive. Put it in Sport mode and stomp it and most cars on the road can’t even hold their own against it. When I had my Evoque, I went to the Outer Banks, North Carolina. Had been going there for over 25 years in many different 4-wheel drive vehicles, but was not sure of its performance because it was such a nice looking vehicle, but only a four cylinder, not excessive ground clearance, and seemed more like a cruiser. The local knowledge called for airing tires down to 12-15 lbs, even as low as 10 lbs., and it was a common sight to see all manner of vehicles, from Hummers to Jeeps to lifted pickups with monster wheels and tires, up to their hubs, stuck. With the owner digging frantically, looking for someone with a tow strap. I experimented with my own vehicle and found that I could lower my air pressure to 20-25 lbs and sail past all of these macho man trucks with ease. Land Rover makes a quite capable vehicle, while still providing everything an owner could want. So yes, the Defender is a head-turning, trail-crushing, luxury vehicle that provides comfort and technology all in one very awesome looking truck. I see a lot of jealous looks when I pass others.

The following 2 users liked this post by WTFChuck:
swajames (01-11-2022), warkeld (01-13-2022)
Old 01-11-2022, 09:42 AM
Mudding
Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts

For me, it is an emotion driven purchase. It is similar to when I got the first BMW 650i in my area. I got stopped by police asking me what it was.. Sure, the "back seat" barely held anything, and it had terrible gas mileage, and was insanely expensive, but to this day it remains one of my favorite cars. For the Defender, I went down the path of researching, designing, pricing restored Defenders. Despite the effort, at the end of the day, they are trucks. They might have new seats, new engines, etc, but they are what they are. My irrational but emotional choice on the 90x somewhat defies economics- but I'm very much fine with that. I also remember my father's Jag Vanden Plas in the 80s-90s. There wasn't a more beautiful, temperamental, or poorly built car out there. All of this said, there is a reason why I'm pairing it with an RS Etron GT (and if you thought the Land Rover supply chain was shaky, try getting one of these built)

Old 01-11-2022, 10:11 AM
Mudding
Received 70 Likes on 44 Posts

Ha - a cop pulled me over in 1984 in my new Porsche 944, asked me if it was one of those new Fieros!

As for comparing a Jeep to a new Defender, having owned Jeeps (and NAS Defenders), I agree on-road (i.e., New Defender, except similar with pricing, the 392 is faster). But off-road, the Jeep is much better, although not as comfortable. Also more reliable (no air suspension, no electronics controlling drivetrain). The Jeep can lock the front diff, the gear ratio is lower, shorter turning radius, higher approach angle, up to 35" OEM tire diameter, and the articulation is much better (Jeep still has live axles). And those are just on paper. Add to that a zillion aftermarket upgrades that can make it even more capable, if so inclined.

Old 01-11-2022, 10:13 AM
Mudding
Received 96 Likes on 41 Posts

For those like me who are waiting on an order, I'd love to hear both sides. If you love your defender and have just minor issues, it'd be nice to hear your experience.

So far the issues posted have not bothered me too much. I'm coming from a 2019 Tesla Model S, I feel like if some of you owned one of these you would've lost your minds by now. Been in service 8-9 times, continuous software glitches, locked out of features I've purchased due to my driving "score", considerably louder road/wind noise than the Defender, cheap interior and more. And yet I paid close to $100k for it and have still enjoyed it over the past few years.
I know some people in my circle who expect perfection when they purchase a new vehicle.. and I think that expectation may be a factor in overall satisfaction.

Old 01-11-2022, 10:21 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 700 Likes on 405 Posts

MacMia:

All in on the electric racey car, I see:

Whoa !! https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...n-gt-revealed/

Enjoy !

Pretty and pricey !

Old 01-11-2022, 11:06 AM
Mudding

the rs etron is insane- but guess what- a few recalls already as well!

Old 01-11-2022, 12:12 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,412 Likes on 713 Posts

Originally Posted by stillruns
The new Defender should be a $60k SUV tops. Paying $75-80k for one of these is bonkers considering all the problems they are riddled with. The only logical conclusion as to why buyers are buying them is that they are visually in a class of their own. Noting comes close to the design. They catch looks around every corner and are conversation pieces at lunch. In a world of boring SUV's, the Defender stands out in the crowd. Other than that, they are junk.
​​​​​​$85k. Zero problems. Absolutely love everything about it except it needs more interior storage (I got the fridge) and the Meridian system lacks presence.

Drives like a fu*king dream. Solid. Fun. Super comfortable.

$60k tops? Lol, the wait would be 3 years.

You know a vehicle is priced right when people complain that the price is high... as they're getting in line to wait 6-15 months+ to pay over the ask.

If you want $60k, buy a Bronco and tell yourself it's better. It's not even close. This is from someone who owns a Defender and also has a Bronco that just got built 2 days ago.

The following 4 users liked this post by _Allegedly:
Ben517 (01-11-2022), GrouseK9 (01-11-2022), MacMia (01-11-2022), swajames (01-11-2022)
Old 01-11-2022, 12:53 PM
Mudding

GrouseK9- what model and spec? btw, I really appreciate the bronco hammock, flag, t shirt, and calendar- despite them never being able to confirm the order

Quick Reply: 2022 Major malfunctions