2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2022 P300S impressions after ~ 400 miles local and ~ 2,600 mile road trip

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2021, 08:09 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 185 Likes on 109 Posts

I love my '22 90 S (P300), it's awesome. Didn't notice all that much difference in the P400 vs P300 tbh.

Old 08-02-2021, 08:19 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 254 Likes on 156 Posts

Nice write-up, I agree with a lot of what you said, I still say JLR made a blunder by giving just about every press car reviewer the P400 for like the first six months, that's about all I ever saw on Youtube. The P300 engine was far too good to be ignored IMO.

The mid-grade of the Meridian stereo that I went for is underwhelming, coming from my Q5 which if I recall was the base stereo system it was a solid notch better than mid grade here. I thought it was a no-brainer to go above the base stereo for like $400 add the Meridian but in retrospect the base stereo can't be much worse than this. If I had it to do over I'd either go with the base and live with it or go all the way up to the full surround Meridian. I mean so far it's ok, that's all it is. Maybe it's something about the acoustics and the cathedral ceiling.

I didn't go for any wood finishers but in retrospect I wish I had seen some more of it on test drives. The rough cut walnut you went with sounds good. For those still getting ready to order they might want to be careful with the wood trim finishers and posted pics because the colors can be 'off', either that or there's a lot of variability in the richness of the colors. With that said I love the vehicle, just adding some thoughts for folks still hanging out with the 'configurator'. It was a really good way to spend last winter. lol

Last edited by Chief65; 08-02-2021 at 08:42 PM.
Old 08-09-2021, 05:15 AM
Drifting
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

This is very good info. I just ordered a 90 with the p300. I was second-guessing my choice of the four cyl over the 6. This review made me feel a little better.
Thanks,
Michael

Old 08-09-2021, 07:54 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 132 Likes on 63 Posts

michaellenzi - I see from your signature photo that you likely have a WRI STI. I had a nicely-modded Evo 9 for quite a while (400+ whp). While the p300 isn't going to keep up with a STI/Evo, it's plenty peppy enough around town. Moving the shift lever over to sport mode in the Defender helps with faster transmission shifts and lets you hold the RPM in a gear longer which also helps.

You're going to love the Defender - congrats!

Old 08-09-2021, 08:32 AM
Drifting

Thanks. Yeah, I have a 2015. Lots of mods. It went from fairly subtle to obnoxious in a heartbeat! You know how it goes.
I am right at 375 hp to wheels with pump gas. I may do built block and slightly larger turbo. Who knows. The Defender is now the new kid so it will monopolize my cash for the near future.
Take care,
Michael
Originally Posted by RedAustinIX
michaellenzi - I see from your signature photo that you likely have a WRI STI. I had a nicely-modded Evo 9 for quite a while (400+ whp). While the p300 isn't going to keep up with a STI/Evo, it's plenty peppy enough around town. Moving the shift lever over to sport mode in the Defender helps with faster transmission shifts and lets you hold the RPM in a gear longer which also helps.

You're going to love the Defender - congrats!

Old 08-09-2021, 08:36 AM
Drifting

RedAustinIX:
Did you opt for the Terrain2 Pack? I did. Not sure if I wasted my money or not.
--Michael

Old 08-09-2021, 10:16 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 700 Likes on 405 Posts

I just passed through 10,000 miles, with quite a bit of off-road use, on my P300 D110 S with Terrain response 2. I have concluded that the AUTO mode in TR2 is the value of the purchase.

AUTO is my default mode now and so I almost never see the (useless?) comfort mode engaged and I find that for all non-momentum based off-roading ( anything not in heavy mud, heavy snow or heavy sand -- where turning off DSC is necessary), letting the computer decide is optimum -- over having to choose the mode as differing surfaces are encountered (required in TR1).

Jumping between off-road modes is necessary in my LR4 (TR1) and it gets old in mixed environements. With TR2, I must only decide if I am in a momentum maintenance situation, choose the mode and turn off DSC (if it is safe to do so).

I continue to fiddle with the TR2 configuration panels and am as yet unable to better the computer in those situation where Auto mode use applies. Possibly if one modifies the vehicle into a rock crawler, some of the detailed control adjustment may be necessary?

The following users liked this post:
michaellenzi (08-09-2021)
Old 08-09-2021, 10:38 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by TrioLRowner
I just passed through 10,000 miles, with quite a bit of off-road use, on my P300 D110 S with Terrain response 2. I have concluded that the AUTO mode in TR2 is the value of the purchase.

AUTO is my default mode now and so I almost never see the (useless?) comfort mode engaged and I find that for all non-momentum based off-roading ( anything not in heavy mud, heavy snow or heavy sand -- where turning off DSC is necessary), letting the computer decide is optimum -- over having to choose the mode as differing surfaces are encountered (required in TR1).

Jumping between off-road modes is necessary in my LR4 (TR1) and it gets old in mixed environements. With TR2, I must only decide if I am in a momentum maintenance situation, choose the mode and turn off DSC (if it is safe to do so).

I continue to fiddle with the TR2 configuration panels and am as yet unable to better the computer in those situation where Auto mode use applies. Possibly if one modifies the vehicle into a rock crawler, some of the detailed control adjustment may be necessary?
Great to know. It mirrors what I have read and heard from others. Thanks for sharing that info.
--Michael

Old 08-09-2021, 11:47 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 132 Likes on 63 Posts

Yes, although I got TR2 as part of the towing pack. I wanted the towing hitch, and didn't want to risk not getting the TR2 software -- in the end it wasn't that much more $$ to just go for the towing pack. I haven't had the chance to do any off-roading yet, so no comments as to the usefulness. Sounds like a great STI -- my advice: never sell it.

Ed

Old 08-14-2021, 06:08 PM
Mudding
Received 125 Likes on 75 Posts

I can’t seem to add the 11.4” screen to my P300 S build. Is anyone else seeing this too?

Quick Reply: 2022 P300S impressions after ~ 400 miles local and ~ 2,600 mile road trip