Sponsored by:

2022 P400 - Off-road tires

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2021, 07:13 PM
Drifting
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 2022 P400 - Off-road tires

Greetings everyone,

First ever post on this forum. I placed an order for a 2022 P400 SE (20 inch wheels) a month ago. I’m a complete newbie in the Landrover world.

I plan to do a little bit of off-roading every now and then (never done it before, but really looking forward to it), but the car would mostly be daily driven in the city/highway. It is mandatory in Quebec, Canada to have winter tires installed during the winter season. My dealership recommended that I can order the defender with all season off-road tires and technically it’s legal to drive with them all year.

However, my biggest concern is road noise. Does it significantly go up with off-road tires? I don’t know exactly what brand off road they come with, but I vaguely remember seeing one defender at the dealership and I believe they were goodyear wranglers.

If anyone has any experience, please advise.

thnx

The following users liked this post:
Royalist (08-02-2021)
Old 08-02-2021, 08:03 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 185 Likes on 109 Posts

I have the off-road tire option with 19's on my '22 90 S. As far as noise, they aren't really loud at all. All I know is, I'm not all that impressed with them at all in the rain really; and I got into an accident in inclement weather with the all-seasons version of these goodyear wranglers on my previous '19 Ram 1500, and they were the number 1 reason why. My '21 Ram 1500 had Falken Wildpeak A/T's and those were awesome.

I live in the snow-belt and am going to see how these perform in light-snow, otherwise I'm going with the Nokian Hakkapeliitta 10 SUV tires specifically for Winter Tires, Continental for All-Terrain's, and/or Pirelli's for Summer's.

Old 08-02-2021, 08:08 PM
Received 92 Likes on 40 Posts

I had the off-road tires last winter and they were not good at all in the snow / ice. I was torn between getting a true winter tire or trying a 3MP AT tire. In the end I opted for the BFG KO2 that is 3MP rated. We’ll see how that goes …

As to noise, I don’t notice any difference between the very mild mannered Wrangler Adventures (OEM AT Tire) and the KO2s (much more aggressive). But, that may be because I also have the roof rack and it covers any other noise issues - though I don’t consider it to be bad -)

Royalist (08-02-2021)
Old 08-02-2021, 08:17 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,298 Likes on 949 Posts

Originally Posted by DefenderRR
Greetings everyone,

First ever post on this forum. I placed an order for a 2022 P400 SE (20 inch wheels) a month ago. I’m a complete newbie in the Landrover world.

I plan to do a little bit of off-roading every now and then (never done it before, but really looking forward to it), but the car would mostly be daily driven in the city/highway. It is mandatory in Quebec, Canada to have winter tires installed during the winter season. My dealership recommended that I can order the defender with all season off-road tires and technically it’s legal to drive with them all year.

However, my biggest concern is road noise. Does it significantly go up with off-road tires? I don’t know exactly what brand off road they come with, but I vaguely remember seeing one defender at the dealership and I believe they were goodyear wranglers.

If anyone has any experience, please advise.

thnx
The Offroad tire option on the Defender is the Wrangle Adventure. As I learned on this forum and upon further research confirmed, it is not rated for snow. It does not have the Triple peak snowflake rating so might be worth your while checking the local requirements in Quebec for winter tires. My guess is without the Snowflake icon they won't fit meet your street-legal seasonal needs.

The dealer Duratracs option fall similarly short.

Quebec Law: Since December 15, 2014, only tires on which this pictogram is found and studded tires are considered winter tires under the Highway Safety Code.

Per the website Winter Tire Law From Quebec Government

Royalist (08-02-2021)
Old 08-02-2021, 08:51 PM
Drifting
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Oh wow! Thank you all for such quick responses. I think, I’ll get a set of winter tires.

Royalist (08-02-2021)
Old 08-02-2021, 09:49 PM
Drifting
Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Ontario resident here with a 110 on factory 19inch off-road tires, as stated by other posters already they do not have the mountain/snowflake pictogram and are not winter rated. Unlike QC, here in ON it’s not mandatory to have the winter-rated tires but many folks put them on when the snow starts to fly. Makes total sense. I recently bought a package of Continental Viking Contact 275/55 R20s on non-OEM rims in readiness for winter. They are fat, sticky, and I’m kinda hoping they won’t rub, we will see come November!

Old 08-03-2021, 11:35 AM
Drifting
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It's tricky, the LT version of the off-road tires are supposed to be 3MP rated, but those aren't the tires fitted on the "off road" pack. So it's tricky.

Royalist (08-03-2021)
Old 08-03-2021, 12:17 PM
Received 92 Likes on 40 Posts

I just went through the GY Duratrac (OEM recommended ) vs BFG K02 (275/55r20) ... and went with the KO2 - specifically because they are more available and also because they are 3MP rated. No issues with fitment. The KO2 was recommended by Discount Tire.

Old 08-04-2021, 09:55 AM
Mudding
Received 90 Likes on 51 Posts

So I have a 2022 90 with 19" wheels and I selected the off road tire. I still have time to change. I am in Illinois and we get snow, so is this tire the wrong choice?

X-

Old 08-04-2021, 10:09 AM
Drifting
Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Correct. No 3 peak on that tire. See pic.

Quick Reply: 2022 P400 - Off-road tires