Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2023 Defender 110 - HAM Radio Antenna Spare Tire Mount

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2023, 09:23 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2023 Defender 110 - HAM Radio Antenna Spare Tire Mount

I have a 2023 Defender 110 V8. As an avid HAM operator, looking for a good mount for a Yaesu ATAS-120a antenna on the spare tire. There are some Chinese solution out there but prefer to find something made in America... or Europe, at a minimum. Also looking for an overhead head unit mount for a Yaesu-891A - similar to the one offered by Plumb, but again, not Chinese.

Thanks!

Old 02-12-2024, 08:24 AM
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Yaesu Setup in the 2023 Defender 110 V8

Update: I ended up mounting the ATAS-120a on the right side of the rear door using a Diamond K400 (K400S) mount. The cable runs in thru the door jam and feeds under the rear platform and Styrofoam container to the radio which is mounted just behind and under the rear seats. I ran the power connections around the passenger side of the Defender to the battery under the passenger seat. Audio and control connections run on the driver's side, under the passenger seat, and along the left side of the center console up to the head unit. The head unit is mounted to the front of the cup holder with a RAM mount. The audio connection is run into a small Bluetooth tx/rx unit that's paired with the Defender and allows receive audio with no issues. The FT-891 is grounded to a single point in the floor of the "trunk". The antenna is not grounded and I'm not using any bonding straps on any of the Defenders body panels. I can easily tune 1:1 on 20m and can get 1.5:1 on 40m but typically just stay in the upper bands. Some additional performance tuning is needed but it works fairly well for the work that I've put into it.

Last edited by dp1098; 02-12-2024 at 08:29 AM. Reason: Minor corrections
The following 2 users liked this post by dp1098:
Renzo (04-13-2024), Unibrain (02-12-2024)
Old 02-12-2024, 08:37 PM
Mudding
Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by af1ro
I have a 2023 Defender 110 V8. As an avid HAM operator, looking for a good mount for a Yaesu ATAS-120a antenna on the spare tire. There are some Chinese solution out there but prefer to find something made in America... or Europe, at a minimum. Also looking for an overhead head unit mount for a Yaesu-891A - similar to the one offered by Plumb, but again, not Chinese.

Thanks!
I only have a few Plumb items and so far, impressed. Not sure that helps. Only negative I’ve read is the fellow who had their carbon fiber and it weathered quickly which isn’t cool but I stay away from carbon fiber anyway.

im thinking about the radio mount. If I do it, will update.

Any favorite places to mount the radio in a defender?

edit to add nm you already described! Post pics when can, sounds good.

Old 02-12-2024, 10:02 PM
3rd Gear
Default 2023 Defender FT-891/ATAS-120A Install

Originally Posted by Chris.Gio
I only have a few Plumb items and so far, impressed. Not sure that helps. Only negative I’ve read is the fellow who had their carbon fiber and it weathered quickly which isn’t cool but I stay away from carbon fiber anyway.

im thinking about the radio mount. If I do it, will update.

Any favorite places to mount the radio in a defender?

edit to add nm you already described! Post pics when can, sounds good.
The actual radio is mounted behind the rear seat under the styrofoam insert. Fits firmly in between a couple of the beams and stays in place with double sided sticky tape, believe it or not. That said, I'm not doing any major off road activity so take that for what it's worth. Eventually, I plan to add a FT-500 and would prefer to have a metal rack mounted in the rear cargo area with the radios exposed and accessible. But, for now, what I have works. The head unit is mounted in front of the cup holder using a RAM mount. Works quite well and is in a great location to tune and make changes without having to fumble around. I'll gather some pics of the radio location and post them soonest. DM me if you have additional questions.

Old 03-08-2024, 01:22 PM
Mudding

Ok becoming a hammie. Bought the book and started studying.

also started with mobile rig:
Icom 2730
Saltek hood/fender mount
2m/70cm antenna
plumb radio face holder

Aiming to put transceiver in storage on floor between seats.

Old 03-11-2024, 04:08 PM
Mudding
Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris.Gio
Ok becoming a hammie. Bought the book and started studying.
Same here! I also got my GMRS license, since it really is just a fee.

Old 03-11-2024, 04:43 PM
3rd Gear

If you haven't sat around running thru different frequencies on a transceiver, I highly recommend that you put the head unit down low. Your arm is going to hate you if you put it in the Plumb face plate holder up high... just sayin.

Old 03-11-2024, 04:47 PM
Mudding

If you haven't sat around running thru different frequencies on a transceiver, I highly recommend that you put the head unit down low. Your arm is going to hate you if you put it in the Plumb face plate holder up high... just sayin.
oh geez, well too late! Though the icom 2730 has many of the buttons on the hand microphone which may help? We will see…

all parts ordered and passed my technician yesterday.

Old 03-13-2024, 10:31 AM
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 1 Post

I came across this mount recently that seemed really nice and stout, but couldn’t find many more details. Seems like there’s an ARB compressor mount integrated as well behind the spare.

Thanks!

Old 03-13-2024, 01:13 PM
Mudding

Ok passed test and installed antenna—still waiting on radio to arrive. Now I guess folks can call me KO6DUK!

Quick Reply: 2023 Defender 110 - HAM Radio Antenna Spare Tire Mount