Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2023 defender 130

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2022, 09:26 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
Default 2023 defender 130

Just picked up a "first edition" (which best I can tell is an x-dynamic with a few options and a sticker) with off road pack and a few other goodies, and have a few questions about it.

1, no power ports in the rear of the center console, just blank off plates. I couldn't find any options that would add them, so looks to be just omitted due to supply chain issues? Can they be added? I'd like them for device charging during trips for the kids. It has the 110 outlet in the rear cargo area, so at least the 3rd row can get some power.

2nd, what does the advanced off road stuff add vs with just the standard off road pack? Can it be added? Looks like all software along with the advanced trailer pack... It has tow package and I tow an airstream so if I can add the extra trailer assist stuff via software, it might be worth it to me. Seems like it's possible per this thread: https://landroverforums.com/forum/2020-defender-60/advanced-off-road-capability-pack-105697/
But is it worth it? It all looks like stuff that if you're experienced, you won't really need. I do love me some good gadgets and buttons to push, though.

Also trying to figure out what tires I can put on this thing as the Goodyear wrangler adventurers aren't going to cut it. I traded in a gladiator Rubicon and want to get close to the off road ability of that and tried reading through the tire thread and didn't get a great idea of what to do to. I'm most interested in capability, not looks, and the factory rims are fine. If I can change rims or space them to get bigger/better tires I'd be down to do that. I've had bfg ko2's and falken wild peak at3s on my Rubicon. Both were good, but the falkens were a bit better. Looks like a 275/55r20 will fit for more selection? In stock size, looks like the only upgrade are Goodyear duratracs, which are decent tbh, but would like to understand other options and what work well on these rigs.

Next, does it have an integrated brake controller or do I need to add one? My Jeep was wired for it so I just had to buy the correct pigtail and plug it in, same deal for this?

Lastly, I'd like to add a winch, I have a 9500lbs superwinch with synthetic line on my Jeep and when I've used it, I've needed it. It's not often, but it makes things a whole lot easier and is the difference between taking a few minutes to get out and a few hours... I'm done digging and ramming logs and rocks under the tires to get out, that was fun in my 20s, not so much in my 40s. It's much easier to hook to a tree (in the NE) and yank myself out. I prefer something integrated into the stock fascia, not a big fan of big bumpers and all that crap unless there's something particularly fragile that needs protecting.

Anyway, this thing is sweet so far, very comfortable and quiet with enough gadgets to satisfy my inner engineer. I was really happy with my Jeep as it could tow my airstream and car trailer, go to home Depot and the dump, let me take off grid camping trips and off road anywhere but... we just got a 2nd dog, my mom is moving next door, I have two kids getting closer to teenage years and man, we tried a fairly short trip with all of us and it was tight. Too tight. We need more room, which the 130 has in spades and ups both the towing and payload to boot. I just hope it can come close in off road ability as I will be taking it into locker/winch territory a few times a year.

I also have a series 3 109 ex-mod, so not new to the LR world, but this is my first new one. This should also be a good tow/rescue vehicle when I want to go get that thing dirty.

Appreciate any pointers and can't wait to see what this thing can really do! Here's one of the trips I'll be doing later this winter, weather can make it really rough conditions and there are tons off road trails to test it out: https://youtu.be/2LLdOI6bDuk

Old 11-30-2022, 09:39 PM
Received 176 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by bobzdar
Just picked up a "first edition" (which best I can tell is an x-dynamic with a few options and a sticker) with off road pack and a few other goodies, and have a few questions about it.

1, no power ports in the rear of the center console, just blank off plates. I couldn't find any options that would add them, so looks to be just omitted due to supply chain issues? Can they be added? I'd like them for device charging during trips for the kids. It has the 110 outlet in the rear cargo area, so at least the 3rd row can get some power.
I'll let others weigh in on your other questions but for the USB outlets start here. It's a "chip shortage" thing but they can be added, the previous link talks about it. I won't have my 130 for another week or so but I've got 3 USB A outlets waiting to be installed when it does come. There is a TOPIX bulletin (?) addressing the lack of outlets which, we assume, will be added by Land Rover as part of some service campaign in the future. You're also missing an outlet on the front passenger side that sits in the crossbeam ledge thing.

Old 11-30-2022, 10:03 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by EasternShoreDefender
I'll let others weigh in on your other questions but for the USB outlets start here. It's a "chip shortage" thing but they can be added, the previous link talks about it. I won't have my 130 for another week or so but I've got 3 USB A outlets waiting to be installed when it does come. There is a TOPIX bulletin (?) addressing the lack of outlets which, we assume, will be added by Land Rover as part of some service campaign in the future. You're also missing an outlet on the front passenger side that sits in the crossbeam ledge thing.
Yep, I noticed the blank off plate there. Manual shows ports in both locations. If they'll add them later, I'm cool with running longer cords temporarily from the front, my phone sits on the wireless charger so there are 3 unused ports (12v, usb_c and USB_a) on the dash for passengers, but if they're not putting them in I'd just as soon get them now.
Edit: Checked out that thread, I'm also missing the 12v ports in the 3rd row, but have the 12v port in the cargo area, so seems a bit hit or miss as some have had those 12v ports. I'll check with the dealer this weekend when I drop off my trade in and order ports if it looks like they won't be coming anytime soon.

Last edited by bobzdar; 11-30-2022 at 10:15 PM.
Old 12-01-2022, 08:12 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 157 Likes on 97 Posts

Pics of your 130 please. Thinking about ordering my wife one. She is not that happy with her RR Sport.

Old 12-01-2022, 08:58 PM
Three Wheeling

Here are a few. The first one is at access height, last one with the Jeep is at off road height. Let me know if there's anything you want to see.

The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (12-02-2022)
Old 12-01-2022, 10:06 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 157 Likes on 97 Posts

Thank you sir. Can you send a pic of the rear cargo area and 3rd row?

Is this your first defender, how do you like it so far. I am trying to get used to the looks of the 130. Our first defender was a D90 and was my wife’s ride. It is my favorite looking defender but was not practical at all. Just getting groceries for the week was annoying due to space. We now have a 110 X and it’s my daily. Got my wife a RR Sport. She does not like the ride and misses the ride of the defender. Just thinking if we are going to be a two defender house that the 130 may be the smart decision. Is your carpathian grey? Looks awesome. Thank you again.

Old 12-01-2022, 10:11 PM
Received 176 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Nuckle
if you need a little more after Nuckle's pictures, there are now loads of videos on Youtube of Defender 130 reviews. Defender 130 Playlist

Royalist (12-02-2022)
Old 12-01-2022, 11:20 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Nuckle

Is this your first defender, how do you like it so far. I am trying to get used to the looks of the 130. Our first defender was a D90 and was my wife’s ride. It is my favorite looking defender but was not practical at all. Just getting groceries for the week was annoying due to space. We now have a 110 X and it’s my daily. Got my wife a RR Sport. She does not like the ride and misses the ride of the defender. Just thinking if we are going to be a two defender house that the 130 may be the smart decision. Is your carpathian grey? Looks awesome. Thank you again.
Yep, Carpathian grey. Here's the cargo area, can take some better ones and pics of the rear seats tomorrow.

I have a series 3 109, so I've had the spiritual ancestor of a defender before.

This is my first modern one. So far I really like it. If I were ordering I'd make a few small changes, but nothing big.

Old 12-02-2022, 02:20 AM
Huc
Mudding
Received 173 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Brake Controller

Next, does it have an integrated brake controller or do I need to add one? My Jeep was wired for it so I just had to buy the correct pigtail and plug it in, same deal for this?
Yes, essentially same as what you had with the Jeep

While there is no integrated brake controller, the wiring harness plug to connect one is there from the factory (North America: it's under the driver side, left of steering column.) There are other threads here with detailed discussions re: brake controllers. I went with RedArc and installed the control **** below the emergency brake control handle left of steering wheel. The brains of the RedArc were installed below and left of the steering. If I recall correctly I ordered a Ford style plug to connect the RedArc to the LR factory installed trailer wiring harness plug. Thus far I've been thrilled with the performance and setup but have not pulled the trailer off-road as yet and only a few thousand miles on-road from Columbus OH to Denver CO.

Hope that helps

Last edited by Huc; 12-02-2022 at 02:22 AM.
bobzdar (12-02-2022)
Old 12-02-2022, 02:50 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 631 Likes on 206 Posts

2nd, what does the advanced off road stuff add vs with just the standard off road pack? Can it be added? Looks like all software along with the advanced trailer pack... It has tow package and I tow an airstream so if I can add the extra trailer assist stuff via software, it might be worth it to me. Seems like it's possible per this thread: https://landroverforums.com/forum/20...y-pack-105697/
But is it worth it? It all looks like stuff that if you're experienced, you won't really need. I do love me some good gadgets and buttons to push, though.

Also trying to figure out what tires I can put on this thing as the Goodyear wrangler adventurers aren't going to cut it. I traded in a gladiator Rubicon and want to get close to the off road ability of that and tried reading through the tire thread and didn't get a great idea of what to do to. I'm most interested in capability, not looks, and the factory rims are fine. If I can change rims or space them to get bigger/better tires I'd be down to do that. I've had bfg ko2's and falken wild peak at3s on my Rubicon. Both were good, but the falkens were a bit better. Looks like a 275/55r20 will fit for more selection? In stock size, looks like the only upgrade are Goodyear duratracs, which are decent tbh, but would like to understand other options and what work well on these rigs.

Lastly, I'd like to add a winch, I have a 9500lbs superwinch with synthetic line on my Jeep and when I've used it, I've needed it. It's not often, but it makes things a whole lot easier and is the difference between taking a few minutes to get out and a few hours... I'm done digging and ramming logs and rocks under the tires to get out, that was fun in my 20s, not so much in my 40s. It's much easier to hook to a tree (in the NE) and yank myself out. I prefer something integrated into the stock fascia, not a big fan of big bumpers and all that crap unless there's something particularly fragile that needs protecting.

Anyway, this thing is sweet so far, very comfortable and quiet with enough gadgets to satisfy my inner engineer. I was really happy with my Jeep as it could tow my airstream and car trailer, go to home Depot and the dump, let me take off grid camping trips and off road anywhere but... we just got a 2nd dog, my mom is moving next door, I have two kids getting closer to teenage years and man, we tried a fairly short trip with all of us and it was tight. Too tight. We need more room, which the 130 has in spades and ups both the towing and payload to boot. I just hope it can come close in off road ability as I will be taking it into locker/winch territory a few times a year.

I also have a series 3 109 ex-mod, so not new to the LR world, but this is my first new one. This should also be a good tow/rescue vehicle when I want to go get that thing dirty.

Appreciate any pointers and can't wait to see what this thing can really do! Here's one of the trips I'll be doing later this winter, weather can make it really rough conditions and there are tons off road trails to test it out: https://youtu.be/2LLdOI6bDuk
1. According to the bulletin, the usb will be added when available. I believe the wiring is there, just lack of parts. It will probably be a no cost fix at the dealership.
2. The advanced off-road pack is just software. It gives you a few features like configurable terrain response and automatic terrain progress control. Basically allows you to dial in the traction control, center diff lock, and rear diff lock(if equipped) to make custom modes. It doesn't really make the vehicle more capable off road, just the ability to dial in some settings. Cool, but not really necessary. I have it, and needless to say, I don't really use it much at all. Terrain progress control is like cruise control off road. Put it this way, I used it on the beach just for fun. Cool piece of tech. Haven't used it since.
Advanced tow assist is a similar piece of tech. Using the climate rotary **** to steer the vehicle when backing up a trailer. Pretty cool to watch the steering wheel move when you rotate the ****. I used it once. Might be more beneficial for someone who has never backed up a trailer.
3. Highly suggest to look for at least an all terrain with 3 ply sidewalls. I currently run 18 inch Maxis Razr MTs . These are mud terrains, but are pretty quiet and very good off road. I believe they have an AT option. The stock Duratracs can have some sidewall weaknesses. If you stay in the 32 to 33 inch tire range, you should not have any issues with rubbing. Your biggest limitation to larger tires is your front bumper area where the stock additional coolers are located (not the best location for radiators for off-road use). There are some mods that people are doing to gain some clearance and trimming. I think Saltek makes some relocation brackets. One benefit to having a proper winch bumper, is some offerings relocate or replace the coolers to completely open up the front wheel arch area. this opens up the tires size options and removes the risk of damaging the coolers. I am sure some folks that run 20s will chime in here to offer some great feedback.
4. Yes, with any heavy towing you will need to add an electric brake controller. Just get the Ford / Land Rover adapter plug. It is located under the dash near the pedals. Then just run the controller of your choice.
5, There are a few options for winch setups. I suggest a Warn product and I shy away from wireless remote controls. Superwinch was right up there with Warn, but they went out of business for a while and parts are still hard to come by. Wireless remotes are a cool piece of tech, however, a corded remote is more reliable and safer in my opinion. Hidden winch setups are on the market including the JLR kit. If you want to maintain factory crash ratings and prevent frame damage in an accident, stick with the factory kit. It does have some major drawbacks as far as using the winch in an off road setting. It is mounted very low and JLR uses a completely wireless Warn winch due to no accessibility. You cannot see the winch drum while spooling the winch. This is not ideal. The winch is also hard to service and more prone to getting stuffed with mud and dirt. The LK8 kit is affordable and does let you keep the factory bumper, It also has a window so you can at least see the winch drum a bit. Still not ideal for most of the reasons mentioned above, but better than the factory kit for off road. This kit and i believe most other hidden kits do not have any crush cans or sacrificial cans engineered in to offer some protection during a collision.
There are some winch bumpers available including some that offer a lot of protection. The new defender is nothing like your super sexy 109 and your jeep. There is a lot of plastic and items like the additional radiators that can easily get damaged if using actively off-road. Some offer crush cans, replace and relocate the coolers, keep all the cameras, pdc sensors, and collision avoidance fully functional. Not many have an optimally located winch for off-road use and use aluminum to keep the weight down, but I know of one. If using the winch as a tool, this is ideal. If only needing for emergency, hidden is better than no winch. just my 2c.

Congrats on the 130! I saw a bunch at Destination Defender and it is nice!

The following 2 users liked this post by sarek:
bobzdar (12-06-2022), GrouseK9 (12-02-2022)

Quick Reply: 2023 defender 130