2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2023 Defender Digital Dash Retrofit from Analog

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2022, 08:12 PM
4wd High
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm surprised people havent been swapping the cluster really want to confirm if its possible I will do it.

Old 04-28-2022, 12:18 AM
LR Forum Vendor
Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts

Please re-read my previous post.This is all the help I’m going to give you. Seriously, stop acting like a millennial who needs a Dr. Phil hug. Life is about risk, the only certainties are death and taxes. This is my last post on the topic. I won’t respond to anymore pms either. If you can afford an 80,000 truck, you can afford to try it out. If you’re too unsure and feel like you can’t afford to waste money, then don’t do it. Seriously, it isn’t the of the world. If it doesn’t work then sell it or return it. I’ve gambled on 10k in upgrades. I have thousands in parts sitting in my garage. This isn’t a brag, I just know my budget and risk tolerance.

im thinking about upgrading my p300 engine to the p400 engine sitting on eBay collecting dust. It’s a challenge and that’s how I enjoy my life with challenges.

good luck, god speed and let us know of your success or failure.

Old 04-28-2022, 09:00 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,255 Likes on 747 Posts

@markjlr - I've done engine swaps. That's likely not a bad idea. Especially how quickly insurers are to "total" them. There are a LOT of engines starting to become available. Not every one of those Copart Defenders are going to a closet Goonzquad-ers. My question is - would you also do the transmission? Are they the same? Also, if you're going to go to a p400, any thoughts of waiting for a V8? Haven't seen any yet but its only a matter of time.

The following users liked this post:
markjlr (04-29-2022)
Old 04-28-2022, 09:09 AM
LR Forum Vendor

Absolutely I would do the tranny diff and driveline too. I probably won't do it but am trying to rationalize it! I think I would need the bcm and pcm too.

GrouseK9 (04-28-2022)
Old 04-28-2022, 10:33 AM
4wd High

Originally Posted by markjlr
Please re-read my previous post.This is all the help I’m going to give you. Seriously, stop acting like a millennial who needs a Dr. Phil hug. Life is about risk, the only certainties are death and taxes. This is my last post on the topic. I won’t respond to anymore pms either. If you can afford an 80,000 truck, you can afford to try it out. If you’re too unsure and feel like you can’t afford to waste money, then don’t do it. Seriously, it isn’t the of the world. If it doesn’t work then sell it or return it. I’ve gambled on 10k in upgrades. I have thousands in parts sitting in my garage. This isn’t a brag, I just know my budget and risk tolerance.

im thinking about upgrading my p300 engine to the p400 engine sitting on eBay collecting dust. It’s a challenge and that’s how I enjoy my life with challenges.

good luck, god speed and let us know of your success or failure.
Man you are self righteous. That is the point of forums, to discover, share experiences, and help others. I am not asking you to fly to my city and do it for me, I am simply asking for others experiences and knowledge so that when I do go about my swap I have all the tools needed to do so. If I need to buy a $3,000 programming tool as well, then I would do in advance of the project. It's not about money, its about time. It is an experiment you are right, and life IS about risks, however, in this risk, I will be swapping the dash between a 21 Defender being sold and a 23 Defender at a shop, so its not an ideal scenario where I have all the time in the world to tinker.

These Digital Dashes are very hard to find, and I don't see anywhere I can buy one, so this is my only option, of which I am going to go down the rabbit hole, however, time is against me, which is exactly why I am asking and researching as deep as I can before I undertake the process. Maybe you don't live your life this way and thats ok, we're all different, but some people like to research plan, and develop a strategy prior to undertaking things.

Last edited by kromix; 04-28-2022 at 10:37 AM.
GavinC (04-28-2022)
Old 04-28-2022, 10:40 AM
LR Forum Vendor

Cheers! God speed and good luck. Let us know how it works out! Mark

Old 04-28-2022, 10:44 PM
Mudding
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by kromix
Man you are self righteous. That is the point of forums, to discover, share experiences, and help others. I am not asking you to fly to my city and do it for me, I am simply asking for others experiences and knowledge so that when I do go about my swap I have all the tools needed to do so. If I need to buy a $3,000 programming tool as well, then I would do in advance of the project. It's not about money, its about time. It is an experiment you are right, and life IS about risks, however, in this risk, I will be swapping the dash between a 21 Defender being sold and a 23 Defender at a shop, so its not an ideal scenario where I have all the time in the world to tinker.

These Digital Dashes are very hard to find, and I don't see anywhere I can buy one, so this is my only option, of which I am going to go down the rabbit hole, however, time is against me, which is exactly why I am asking and researching as deep as I can before I undertake the process. Maybe you don't live your life this way and thats ok, we're all different, but some people like to research plan, and develop a strategy prior to undertaking things.
There are plenty of used clusters on eBay. Link below is from a 19' Discovery but when I was researching months back the part number is all the same across all models in the Jaguar/Land Rover lineup.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324807863668?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid =p2060353.m1438.l2649&autorefresh=true

https://www.ebay.com/itm/193880488524?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid =p2060353.m1438.l2649

Can it be done? Not sure from a programing standpoint, which is why we pulled the trigger when we found a 22' that had everything we wanted but was 5k more in price.

My gut says it can be done with programming.

markjlr (04-29-2022)
Old 04-30-2022, 11:49 AM
4wd High

Oh i didn't know that the part number is the same across all. Thats very good to know, thank you!

Old 07-07-2022, 08:46 AM
Drifting
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I've got a 2020 P300 with the digital dash and my 2023 P400 is coming with analog. Anyone here know if I can swap the clusters/displays? (i.e. have LR dealership do it)

Old 07-07-2022, 11:50 AM
LR Forum Vendor

At 400 bucks this isnt a major investment. Im probably 99% positive the dealer wont be able to program it but you could try plug and play.

Of course I will be crucified for not holding your hand on it, but heres what I say to those who criticize me: You buy a $60,000 to $110,000 dollar car but your afraid to spend 400 bucks to see if something works? I cant live my life afraid to spend 400 bucks when I just spent $80,000 on a car. I have 5-10k in parts sitting around my garage from failed experiments. Im happy I got the OEM fog lights, the OEM dash parts, the OEM adaptive cruise control working and it took 100's of hours of programming to make it happen and I have no regrets. Thats all the help I will offer. If you live in Southern California I can offer programming assistance in person only and cannot do remote programming but only if your willing to drive to Los Angeles. Thats the best I can offer. FYI dealerships dont have access to ccf programming changes. They can only push manufacturers changes but not really do any changes themselves besides tire size changes and service intervals resets.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/32522166592...Cclp%3A2563228

GrouseK9 (07-07-2022)

Quick Reply: 2023 Defender Digital Dash Retrofit from Analog