2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2023 Defender Digital Dash Retrofit from Analog

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2022, 10:48 PM
Drifting
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

are we saying that racking up 8-16% cost of the car in parts as a result of failed experiments is the way to go here?

Old 07-08-2022, 04:32 AM
LR Forum Vendor
Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts

no that was on 10 different projects including successfully adding the oem locking differential and digital dash board and clear sight mirror and winch tray with a 10 yr old warn winch. I just have lots of leftover parts.

‘’your missing the point, the instrument cluster is a 400 part. If 400 hurts you after spending 80k on the car for a feature you really want is really antithetical to your own desires. If 400 breaks you go buy a 20k Kia Soul and give up on JLR products seriously. I just don’t understand why you wouldn’t spend 400 too see if it works, but there are a lot of live at home with mummy keyboard kommandos who couldn’t stomach the thought and need pepto bismol daily if risking 400 bucks.

Originally Posted by cardude
are we saying that racking up 8-16% cost of the car in parts as a result of failed experiments is the way to go here?

Old 07-08-2022, 05:34 AM
Drifting
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by markjlr
no that was on 10 different projects including successfully adding the oem locking differential and digital dash board and clear sight mirror and winch tray with a 10 yr old warn winch. I just have lots of leftover parts.

‘’your missing the point, the instrument cluster is a 400 part. If 400 hurts you after spending 80k on the car for a feature you really want is really antithetical to your own desires. If 400 breaks you go buy a 20k Kia Soul and give up on JLR products seriously. I just don’t understand why you wouldn’t spend 400 too see if it works, but there are a lot of live at home with mummy keyboard kommandos who couldn’t stomach the thought and need pepto bismol daily if risking 400 bucks.
sorry, my bad. i thought your point on 5-10k was relevant for your argument. don't fully understand why not wanting to throw 400 bucks out the window equals breaking you. although i do not have this retro fit issue, and i spent quite a bit north of 80k on the car, i wouldn't wanna throw a 100 bucks out the window if i can avoid it by doing some research. it's not about spending extra, it's just decreasing the possibility of failure if possible. you would, and that's quite alright - different people, different approaches - no need to take it emotionally.

Old 07-08-2022, 12:31 PM
LR Forum Vendor
Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts

im not upset. I think you’re missing my point. Death and taxes are the only guarantees in life. People want factory oem parts added after the fact. No one can guarantee they will work. I bought a factory clockspring for the airbag from a 20 defender thinking I needed it for my 22 defender when I swapped out the non fog lights turn signal stalk to the oem turn signal stalk. Guess what I wasted 140 bucks because the connections were different. The turn signal stalk with fogs worked with my newer clockspring so it was a guess and wasted 140 bucks. If I was so worried about 140 dollars I would rush to put it back on eBay to get my money thrown out the window. I really don’t care and that’s the attitude people need to take because no dealership is going to modify the vehicle except for ladders bash plates awinches and maybe tow bars. You’re on your own with this and there is risk involved. If it really upsets you to risk wasting money then please don’t do it. I don’t mind the risk or lost money. I enjoy these challenges.

Originally Posted by cardude
sorry, my bad. i thought your point on 5-10k was relevant for your argument. don't fully understand why not wanting to throw 400 bucks out the window equals breaking you. although i do not have this retro fit issue, and i spent quite a bit north of 80k on the car, i wouldn't wanna throw a 100 bucks out the window if i can avoid it by doing some research. it's not about spending extra, it's just decreasing the possibility of failure if possible. you would, and that's quite alright - different people, different approaches - no need to take it emotionally.

Old 07-08-2022, 12:37 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,167 Likes on 627 Posts

What I would do

1) Find the plug(s) on the rear of the digital display
2) Find the plug(s) on the rear of the analog dials display

Are they the same? If so, then a very good chance it'll swap with some programming. If the plugs are not the same... run in the other direction because messing with the main harness isn't worth it.

The following users liked this post:
markjlr (07-08-2022)
Old 07-14-2022, 06:38 PM
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by kromix
MY23 Defender X-Dynamic came with 10" screen and Analog Dashboard. Took delivery anyway, but very sad about this downgrade.

#1) If one were to source the right part for the digital dash, is it plug and play or are additional modifications required has anyone tried? Hoping the computer system just outputs the same data to both dash styles and the dash units are plug and play.

#2) How complex of a job is it to get to the dash for a swap, how much takedown is required?

Checking in to see if you or anyone else pulled the trigger and did this. There is a site in the UK that does it and they told me by email it can be done for a 2023 and its the same part as prior years. They wouldnt tell me if it was easy or if I had to flash it or program. But they said it can be done. I am hoping someone here has done it or a shop starts doing it here in the US.

Old 03-15-2023, 04:52 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 634 Likes on 381 Posts

I wish I had the analog dash since I never change the view and I'm tired of the digital dash dimming whenever it wants.

Old 05-13-2023, 10:04 AM
Mudding
Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Bumping the thread. About to pull the trigger on a 130 that is absolutely perfect and in stock. Except it's got the half digital gauges.

Just wondering if anybody's actually successfully done this on the 23 yet. Because it's something I definitely want to upgrade If I pull the trigger.

Old 06-07-2024, 11:03 AM
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by markjlr
At 400 bucks this isnt a major investment. Im probably 99% positive the dealer wont be able to program it but you could try plug and play.

Of course I will be crucified for not holding your hand on it, but heres what I say to those who criticize me: You buy a $60,000 to $110,000 dollar car but your afraid to spend 400 bucks to see if something works? I cant live my life afraid to spend 400 bucks when I just spent $80,000 on a car. I have 5-10k in parts sitting around my garage from failed experiments. Im happy I got the OEM fog lights, the OEM dash parts, the OEM adaptive cruise control working and it took 100's of hours of programming to make it happen and I have no regrets. Thats all the help I will offer. If you live in Southern California I can offer programming assistance in person only and cannot do remote programming but only if your willing to drive to Los Angeles. Thats the best I can offer. FYI dealerships dont have access to ccf programming changes. They can only push manufacturers changes but not really do any changes themselves besides tire size changes and service intervals resets.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/32522166592...Cclp%3A2563228
hello, I’m sorry to bother. I’m I’m the LA area and I’m wondering how much you would charge for the adaptive cruise control and all the other features for the defender? I have a 23 90 SE and I’m still sad I don’t know how to code good enough to check out the software in my car. I hope to hear from you soon!

The following users liked this post:
markjlr (06-09-2024)
Old 06-07-2024, 02:26 PM
Overlanding
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm not clear - did you order a build that should have come with digital but they showed up with analog? Or did ppl knowingly (or mistakenly) oder vehicles that were spec'ed with analog?

Quick Reply: 2023 Defender Digital Dash Retrofit from Analog