2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

25k Mile Update in 10 months - What has broke/been fixed

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2022, 05:27 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,251 Likes on 671 Posts

@GrouseK9 -- here's a copy/paste and a copy of the document attached.

LAND ROVER TSB #SSM75281
svc action - front air springs replaced if dates are between 01/08/2020 and 20/11/2020, replace the Shock Absorber Air Spring Assembly

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
MC-10188074-0001.pdf (66.2 KB, 54 views)
Old 10-12-2022, 10:01 AM
Drifting
Received 36 Likes on 14 Posts

Question here, for you high mileage folks. Have any of you or are you planning on getting extended warranties? My dealership mentioned that if I wanted extended warranty, I have to buy it before 25,000 miles. I’ve currently had nearly 0 issues with the car at 20,000 miles, and I do plan to own it for a long time. Any thoughts on extension.

Old 10-12-2022, 10:09 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 418 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by ponder
Question here, for you high mileage folks. Have any of you or are you planning on getting extended warranties? My dealership mentioned that if I wanted extended warranty, I have to buy it before 25,000 miles. I’ve currently had nearly 0 issues with the car at 20,000 miles, and I do plan to own it for a long time. Any thoughts on extension.
Hmmm that's interesting and idk if that is true? Mine says I just need to extend before my current one expires. They will get more expensive the more miles you put on but I haven't heard that you have to do it before 25k. Unless that's for a LR warranty and not a third party? Either way new to me.

I did extend mine when buying it to 75k

Old 10-12-2022, 10:31 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,400 Likes on 688 Posts

I haven't had any problems and don't intent to extend.

If I decide to keep the Defender and sell the Grenadier when it comes in I will think about extending before OEM warranty runs out. But I've never paid for a warranty before on anything so I doubt I'll do it. So far, with 44 cars owned I've yet to regret that choice. The few problematic cars I've had were when I was young and they were 10+ years old when I bought them, and I wasn't aware of any warranty extensions available for them at that time (the 1980s.)

Old 10-12-2022, 07:31 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 252 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by ponder
When facing a $2500 automotive repair bill is it debit or credit? If the latter I would say you need it and you're late because it should've been rolled into your financing from the start. Donald Trump doesn't need this, let's put it that way.

Old 10-12-2022, 08:00 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

Ive never bought an extended warranty in my life but I think for the Defender it will be a first.
I intend on ordering in the next few months.

Old 10-12-2022, 09:29 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 418 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Chief65
When facing a $2500 automotive repair bill is it debit or credit? If the latter I would say you need it and you're late because it should've been rolled into your financing from the start. Donald Trump doesn't need this, let's put it that way.
I understand what you're saying but regardless of financial status isn't it just a game of probability? At least to me it is. If I'm buying a Toyota I'm definitely never getting a warranty but if it's my first LR felt like a good idea....

Old 10-12-2022, 10:27 PM
Mudding
Received 78 Likes on 48 Posts

Thanks for the report OP. This is going to be my first LR and have fingers crossed. Speaking of warranties/service, is there an after market service/extended warranty policy? I got one for my Raptor, 10yr/100K bumper to bumper and extended service contract package accepted at any Ford dealership. Only thing I’ve paid for since 2017 were tires. The policy even covered my brake pads. IIRC,

Does that kind of package exist for the Defender?

Old 10-12-2022, 11:18 PM
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Were you having any issues with the doors before the receiver relocation? My doors and rear door often choose not to open every once in a while and I wonder if that could be the issue.

Old 10-13-2022, 04:56 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 252 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Jiman01
Thanks for the report OP. This is going to be my first LR and have fingers crossed. Speaking of warranties/service, is there an after market service/extended warranty policy? I got one for my Raptor, 10yr/100K bumper to bumper and extended service contract package accepted at any Ford dealership. Only thing I’ve paid for since 2017 were tires. The policy even covered my brake pads. IIRC,

Does that kind of package exist for the Defender?
The one I have is from Continental, that's what my LR dealer offered and recommended. Evidently they've worked claims in the past with Continental and had good results. $0 deductible and it extends you out to the 100k mile mark. By the time it runs out I would expect for most people the vehicle is essentially paid off anyway which was what I was looking for. What I don't want to have happen is a large repair bill on top of a large payment. Keep in mind it's not a genuine LR factory warranty, it's 3rd party offered by dealerships. I'm unexpectedly trading my Defender in soon at just 20k miles so I should get a pro-rated refund for the entire cost of the extended warranty.

Not sure if there is a 'genuine' LR extension of the factory warranty. I wasn't offered one so I suspect at least for the Defender it either doesn't exist or is so expensive they didn't bother to quote me on it, or maybe it was just the timing of when I bought my 2022. They didn't have an 'official' prepaid maintenance plan available at the time either so they had to put together a custom plan for me to cover the first several scheduled maintenance to the 42k mile mark. Again it's all rolled into my financing at the time of purchase. This does not add that much to the payment @ 72 months so IMO it's worth consideration.

Last edited by Chief65; 10-13-2022 at 05:10 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Jiman01 (10-13-2022)

Quick Reply: 25k Mile Update in 10 months - What has broke/been fixed