2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accessing the front tow-hooks...

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2021, 03:05 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,394 Likes on 688 Posts
Default Accessing the front tow-hooks...

Hi.
My truck is at the port in England, so shouldn't be more than a month before I have her. Starting to assemble a few things.

I see reference to some packages, etc. having accessible tow-hooks in the front.

A) is that model-dependent, package-dependent, or neither? I have a 2022 X-Dynamic SE, with Off Road, Towing and Advanced Offroad packages. Air suspension.

B) If mine won't be accessible as it comes, is there a tutorial on how to make them so?

C) Ditto the same questions for rear tow hooks?

Old 05-10-2021, 04:08 PM
Mudding
Received 167 Likes on 98 Posts

There's a single central tow point in the front that is hidden behind plastic unless you get the alloy front under shield. I believe it's to meet EU pedestrian safety standards. Someone in a different thread had cut and trimmed the regular plastic under shield in front to expose the tow point. I have ordered the alloy undershield for extra protection and to expose the tow point

In the rear the tow points bolt into the rear bumper under the plastic trim. Powerful UK sell the tow loops in pairs and trim in a variety of colors - I plan on ordering them when my 110 arrives and may paint them. https://www.powerfuluk.com/vehicles/...d-inserts.html

Mystifying to me why the off-road package wouldn't include standard recovery points, but at least there are easy fixes available

The following 2 users liked this post by DoctorofRocks:
bobbyz95 (07-02-2021), Juancl (05-11-2021)
Old 05-10-2021, 04:33 PM
Pro Wrench

Thanks, Dr. Rocks. So I have the "Undershield -- DF0US" for $1000. Is that what gets me the accessible front tow point?

And is that what I'm seeing in the center, at the lowest point in the photo? If so, man, gotta hope I'm never actually stuck when I need to access it!

Old 05-10-2021, 04:59 PM
Winching
Received 246 Likes on 173 Posts

Yes and yes

Old 05-10-2021, 05:02 PM
Pro Wrench

Thanks, Moretti.

And I watched the P-UK video on rear bumper removal/installation. I'd do that and install their permanent hooks if there was no other easy solution, but I don't need to do it for the sake of looks, and since the functionality is there with the screw-in ones, I think I'll just go with that.

Cheers!

Old 05-10-2021, 08:01 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 698 Likes on 405 Posts

NoGABiker:

Just a heads-up .... There is one screw in recovery which comes with the vehicle for the rear, not two -- and it is only rated and called out in the manual as only being suitable for on-road recovery, not off-road. (I would not trust it not to bend under a heavy side load during recovery.)

The designed, off-road recovery design at the rear can handle off-road recovery loads (all shown at Powerfulukltd.com) -- plus you can paint and buy them in different colors -- if that is important to you.

Using the rear tow receiver for recover is limited to more gentle use, due to the fact that it is cantilevered below the main, rear transverse beam, but is what I (and others) on the forum are using until I can install the the proper rear recovery points.

Old 05-10-2021, 09:15 PM
Winching
Received 559 Likes on 252 Posts

If someone needs an extra one of those screw-in tow ring thingies, give me a holler. Now that I've installed the permanent ones in my rear bumper, that chunk of metal is dead weight in the car, and will likely stay in my garage closet forever - or until I move - otherwise.

Old 05-11-2021, 06:44 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 435 Likes on 203 Posts

I will make some more modifications to reinforce it and to make the opening more mud resistant.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/20...k-loop-105535/

Old 05-11-2021, 07:47 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 71 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Defendit..
I will make some more modifications to reinforce it and to make the opening more mud resistant.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/20...k-loop-105535/
NoGa Biker don't waste the money on the Undershield protection unless you really think you need a metal plate there in addition to the hook access. Defendit and I have done similar versions of the same mod, trimming away the plastic so the hook is always exposed as it should have been from the start, doesn't cost you any more just a few minutes of time on a weekend and has perfectly capable recovery ability in its current form, while saving you the time of removing the plastic cover in the field.

Old 05-11-2021, 07:51 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by merrion13
NoGa Biker don't waste the money on the Undershield protection unless you really think you need a metal plate there in addition to the hook access. Defendit and I have done similar versions of the same mod, trimming away the plastic so the hook is always exposed as it should have been from the start, doesn't cost you any more just a few minutes of time on a weekend and has perfectly capable recovery ability in its current form, while saving you the time of removing the plastic cover in the field.
Thanks for the instructions, but my Defender is already sitting at port in Southampton awaiting passage to the New World, and the under shield is part of the order. Also, I definitely want it for it’s protective capabilities. The truck will spend a lot of time off-road in Utah, Arizona, NM, NV and similar environs. $1000 is expensive for a skid plate, even an aluminum one, but the aftermarket for New Defender parts is awfully thin at present.

Quick Reply: Accessing the front tow-hooks...