Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Active rearview mirror with camera

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2021, 07:12 AM
Winching
Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by _Allegedly
No offense, didn't you total your truck by backing into a pole?

Were you using Clearsight at the time?
He didn't need a clear view mirror for it. A mere driver side rear view mirror would have sufficed? The 360 projection camera would have helped too.

Old 09-03-2021, 08:38 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,408 Likes on 711 Posts

Originally Posted by sblvro
He didn't need a clear view mirror for it. A mere driver side rear view mirror would have sufficed? The 360 projection camera would have helped too.
​​​​​​Probably but I've had more than 1 vehicle with a little blind spot. Didn't know if the Defender has one?

I'm also the silly type to walk around real quick every time before I get in to look at the tires and see if I'm going to run over anything. Took flying lessons before I ever drove and that part stuck.

Old 09-03-2021, 09:56 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 234 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by _Allegedly
​​​​​​Probably but I've had more than 1 vehicle with a little blind spot. Didn't know if the Defender has one?

I'm also the silly type to walk around real quick every time before I get in to look at the tires and see if I'm going to run over anything. Took flying lessons before I ever drove and that part stuck.
funny you mentioned pre-flight check. I have a similar/related thoughts in regards to aviation when i use the on-road and off-road cameras when i park and/or navigate tight areas, it was kind of like flying IFR.

I love the clearSight rear view mirror. With the spare wheel obstructing a meaningful amount of view along with cargo in the back, the clearSight rear view mirror is all i ever use.

Old 09-03-2021, 10:02 AM
Winching
Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts

The clear sight doesn't give you a close up of the vehicle if there is one close to your tail. Most of the time in McDonald's drive thru I just see the roof of the car behind me. Me I'm raised mode!

The following users liked this post:
Mechano2020 (12-13-2021)
Old 10-09-2021, 10:46 PM
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just wondering what led you to deciding it wasn't feasible? Interested in retrofitting on my end.

GrouseK9 (10-10-2021)
Old 10-10-2021, 10:21 AM
Mudding
Received 70 Likes on 44 Posts

I drove 90 with the mirror, and found it takes a second to focus on detail in it. It is different then looking at a regular mirror, as your eyes are focusing on the items there at a far distance, whereas the trueview, your eyes need to focus on the mirror itself.

Think of driving a long, and occasionally glancing in your rearview mirror. So looking straight ahead, your eyes are focused for distance. With the normal rearview, when you turn from straight ahead to the mirror, then back straight ahead, you are using the same distance focus. But with clearview, you shift from distance to close up (12"-18"), then back to distance, takes second (or nano second) to change your eyes focus back and forth. Kinda bugs me enough I wouldn't use it/want it.

Chief65 (10-10-2021)
Old 12-13-2021, 07:30 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 133 Likes on 38 Posts

Hi, everybody. I finally got the original rearview mirror mounted with the camera. At my dealer, however, they informed me in advance that they could order the parts but would not guarantee the rollout. I went for this risico and parts - mirror, wiring and rear fin camera I ordered. The seller, after delivering the parts, which took about a month to install. Unfortunately, despite the original diagnostics, they were unable to get the mirror to work. They've been working on it for a week! The problem was that in the VIN diagnostics, the mirror was not visible in the vehicle's equipment, making it impossible to get it to work. My salesman asked Central in GB for the possibility of modifying the kit for my car, unfortunately with a negative opinion despite the reapplication. The answer has always been that LR wants to keep tabs on their cars' equipment and does not conform to their policy on recall. I see some logic in that, but to me as a customer, it's nonsense. The manufacturer will never offer everything the customer wants and therefore, even in the future, cars will be equipped with accessories. In the end, I was helped by a firm called RETROFIT from GB specifically from London, which made the mirror work for £150 in 20 minutes. Only now am I a satisfied customer of the Landrover only the management of the Land rover does not realise this and makes it difficult for customers to own a car with their inadequate decisions. I will say again that the car was ordered with a mirror with a camera like an MY21 unfortunately LR arbitrarily changed the model to an MY22 without notice where there is already a mirror as extra equipment and I just wasn't fitted. Perhaps my contribution will help others to solve a similar problem.

Mechano2020 (12-13-2021)
Old 12-13-2021, 07:42 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,256 Likes on 747 Posts

@mopadzi - Congrats on making it work! I'd like to do the same path. Can you specifically list which part #'s you purchased before having them install it? I appreciate the time it takes to list them out.

Old 12-13-2021, 05:58 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 232 Likes on 141 Posts

I spent months in the configurator and still have several regrets for the decisions that I ultimately made. I do love the vehicle but can't stress enough that everyone should take their time, do several test drives and get the order just right.

Old 12-13-2021, 11:25 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 212 Likes on 140 Posts

JLR may start loosing some customers if they are so assenite ... (not that they really care - but ultimately, they may )
In the end, I was helped by a firm called RETROFIT from GB specifically from London, which made the mirror work for £150 in 20 minutes.
So JLR had a solution, they could do the right thing for the customer, and they choose not to help. Bean counters at it again. Sad.
Congrats @mopadzi !!!

​​​​​​​

Quick Reply: Active rearview mirror with camera