2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Actual material of Defender front interior?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2023, 12:23 PM
Mudding
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Actual material of Defender front interior?

Hey guys,

What material is the front dash/top for refrigerator lid, it's almost like a suede, but not suede? Yeah - I'm sure i'll get laughed at, lol -

Trying to figure out what type of interior cleaner I should purchase - most everything is for vinyl, and not sure if that would be too harsh for this?

I really appreciate the insight!

Old 07-17-2023, 12:38 PM
Mudding
Received 100 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by KamboMD
Hey guys,

What material is the front dash/top for refrigerator lid, it's almost like a suede, but not suede? Yeah - I'm sure i'll get laughed at, lol -

Trying to figure out what type of interior cleaner I should purchase - most everything is for vinyl, and not sure if that would be too harsh for this?

I really appreciate the insight!
It may be Alcantara (what I have on the steering wheel and seats, feels like suede) but I don’t have that over the fridge lid nor on the dashboard. Can you share a picture?

Old 07-17-2023, 12:47 PM
Mudding
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by is21447
It may be Alcantara (what I have on the steering wheel and seats, feels like suede) but I don’t have that over the fridge lid nor on the dashboard. Can you share a picture?
the material thats showing stitching, above the monitor and immediately under the center air vents. sorry my car is currently out for the day - I feel like it'll absorb any liquid I spray on it, so want to be mindful I'm not getting something that would ruin it. my door handles are also made of this material - and probably a few other places.

Old 07-17-2023, 02:19 PM
Drifting
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Pretty sure its neoprene.

Old 07-17-2023, 02:31 PM
Mudding
Received 100 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by KamboMD
the material thats showing stitching, above the monitor and immediately under the center air vents. sorry my car is currently out for the day - I feel like it'll absorb any liquid I spray on it, so want to be mindful I'm not getting something that would ruin it. my door handles are also made of this material - and probably a few other places.
Gotcha, I just clean these with water and a micro fiber cloth. It doesn’t really get dirty but I also don’t go overlanding like other folks so maybe someone else has had to use other cleaners.

The following users liked this post:
Migs8416 (07-17-2023)
Old 07-17-2023, 09:03 PM
Drifting
Received 119 Likes on 25 Posts

^^^ This. Water and a cloth will go a long way. The neoprene-y stuff is relatively easy to clean. Only gripe is the cordura/canvas around the seats that show water stains etc and need a quick hit with an auto upholstery foam every once in a while to refresh. $4.75 a can is a decent trade-off for the abrasion resistance. Can't speak for the newer or fancier seats.

Old 07-17-2023, 10:03 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 63 Likes on 25 Posts

It’s Alcantra which, believe it or not, is a woven product similar to microfiber cloth like used for lens cleaning. Interesting stuff, and I haven’t a clue as to the best product for keeping it clean. The door arm rests can get kind of grimy.

Old 07-18-2023, 02:21 AM
Winching
Received 293 Likes on 190 Posts

This material LR call "Robustec" is on the inside door handle and after 6,000 miles it already looks the worst for wear in my 90 Commercial

l am hoping someone will start offering a plastic door handle to replace the standard one.

Old 07-18-2023, 04:39 AM
Mudding
Received 141 Likes on 71 Posts

I have a 110 with the “acorn” lighter interior. A couple of weeks ago I had a cut on my right elbow; when I rested it on the padded top of the center console I got bloodstains on the light material. I was worried, but when I got home hours later I used a baby wipe on it and the blood came right off. Looks like new. I was impressed.

Old 07-18-2023, 06:13 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 682 Likes on 410 Posts

Interior materials vary slightly by year. For example, the rounded trim piece that runs across the dash looks and feels like leather on our 2021 but it is that softer "neoprene" material on our 2023. I had to take apart the dash on our 2021 and line the back if that trim piece with adhesive felt to stop it from squeaking. The 2023 neoprene version has been silent from day one.

I've been using Mckee's Fast Interior Detailer on both interiors. Even cleans hard plastic areas, rubber cupholder liners, touch screen, etc.

https://mckees37.com/products/fast-i...0aAppVEALw_wcB

Quick Reply: Actual material of Defender front interior?