2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Actual used Defender for sale over MSRP

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2022, 02:50 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 186 Likes on 112 Posts

I've heard they are pulling allocations from dealers exhibiting this behavior, can the insider confirm?

Old 02-16-2022, 02:53 PM
Mudding
Received 310 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Jespey
Ok. How do I order one? I’ve had my build in to the dealer for over three months now, and still they haven’t had any allotments open up yet, so my build hasn’t even been sent to LR. And I can’t buy one from any dealer outside a set small radius of my house, per LR rules. Maybe 150 miles. That leaves very few dealers to even visit, much less buy from. And the dealer that had a few added $12,000 over the MSRP. The dealer near me hasn’t had one for months now. So it seems to me that LR is the one causing the problems that you seem to imply we should avoid. What is your solution? A real solution, not a “trust us and wait and be happy with what we give you”.
What type of Defender are you trying to order? Be specific with trim, powertrain and options. We have only just opened P300 orders for this month.

If you are struggling with your current retailer I would encourage you to look outside your area and start a dialogue. Unfortunately, US franchise laws are brutal and vary state to state and each retailer tends to operate in a different manner. We have the power to do certain things, but are powerless (just like Audi, BMW and Mercedes) in other areas.

As for the suggestion we are causing the problem- I certainly hope you don't think that. If we don't sell cars and keep production rolling we have to cut jobs and projects. That affects people at all levels and is traumatic to an organization. We went through some of that at the start of the pandemic and hope never to have to go there again.

The problem is we (Land Rover) are holding up our end of things at the factories and have OUR engines and chassis and various in-house parts ready to go, but suppliers in the industry (many of whom also service BMW, Mercedes, etc) keep missing their deliveries to us. You hear about microchips and that's definitely a problem, but little things like a part for the sunroof, brake rotors, tyres, taillight assemblies, and other small parts promised by large corporations fail to show up as promised. Unfortunately, when this happens you can't just suddenly shift your business elsewhere. We paid and arranged for the delivery of one million widgets and we expect them- and have to wait.

Part of the reason I decided to join this forum (which is surely not authorized) was to try and share some insights into JLR and let people know we care and are trying, as well as let people know why we do the things we do. There are people that worked over the Christmas holiday away their families to try and keep things moving in the background. Unfortunately, once the car makes it to the US and into retailer hands we lose control over the process to some degree.

We sincerely apologize that buying a LR has turned into a great mess, but we are doing absolutely everything we can to alleviate it while juggling the economic stability of the company and ensuring everyone has a job.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by The Insider; 02-16-2022 at 03:11 PM.
The following 7 users liked this post by The Insider:
angelboing (02-20-2022), BulldogDefender (02-16-2022), Elektrapops (02-19-2022), GavinC (02-16-2022), GrouseK9 (02-17-2022), Kev M (02-20-2022), W1NGMAN (02-27-2022) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-16-2022, 03:10 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Yulongtd6
I've heard they are pulling allocations from dealers exhibiting this behavior, can the insider confirm?
I can't in good conscious comment on pending legal matters or some of the specific steps, but I'll do my best to answer this. While I'm present on this forum to share things you wouldn't otherwise know about-I am not here to undermine JLR or give away any secrets.

That said, the US office has been aggressively monitoring pricing and complaints and have taken numerous actions. I won't get into specifics, but there are certain retailers that no longer have their franchise. Lots of buy and sell actions have happened in the background. Same name...different owner as of recently. No, I can't say who.

In some cases, we might have a legacy retailer that's being stubborn for the sake of being stubborn. It's complicated and political. Some of the owners have an Audi, BMW, Lexus and Mercedes franchise and LR isn't a focus-for others it's their only retailer.

What I will say is that anyone opening a brand new JLR arch facility should be offering top notch service. There was a significant vetting process to get those and we have high expectations.

The following 2 users liked this post by The Insider:
Elektrapops (02-19-2022), GavinC (02-16-2022)
Old 02-16-2022, 03:15 PM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The Insider,

Appreciate your presence and spending the time trying to explain things we don't see. All are making sense except the market is market. I used to think the same but the reality is if I'm going to wait for something that may never happen I would rather pay up to get the experience and get out while I can. That's exactly what happened to me anyway. I think the delta cost difference for ownership would be very similar but at least I get to enjoy it much sooner. No one wants to overpay anything but it's a luxury item that one doesn't really need either. It's a free market that's how I see it.

Old 02-16-2022, 04:53 PM
4wd High
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Things are crazy in the used market but you can expect it when you have dealers charging well above what they should for an order you have to wait 8 months for. This was an interaction with a local dealer, blocked out the salesman’s name for his privacy.

Old 02-16-2022, 05:20 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by eddieisreal
Things are crazy in the used market but you can expect it when you have dealers charging well above what they should for an order you have to wait 8 months for. This was an interaction with a local dealer, blocked out the salesman’s name for his privacy.
What retailer made this claim? I don't need to know the salesman-just the retailer.

Old 02-16-2022, 05:21 PM
Drifting
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default LR isn’t the problem?

Originally Posted by The Insider
What type of Defender are you trying to order? Be specific with trim, powertrain and options. We have only just opened P300 orders for this month.

If you are struggling with your current retailer I would encourage you to look outside your area and start a dialogue. Unfortunately, US franchise laws are brutal and vary state to state and each retailer tends to operate in a different manner. We have the power to do certain things, but are powerless (just like Audi, BMW and Mercedes) in other areas.

As for the suggestion we are causing the problem- I certainly hope you don't think that. If we don't sell cars and keep production rolling we have to cut jobs and projects. That affects people at all levels and is traumatic to an organization. We went through some of that at the start of the pandemic and hope never to have to go there again.

The problem is we (Land Rover) are holding up our end of things at the factories and have OUR engines and chassis and various in-house parts ready to go, but suppliers in the industry (many of whom also service BMW, Mercedes, etc) keep missing their deliveries to us. You hear about microchips and that's definitely a problem, but little things like a part for the sunroof, brake rotors, tyres, taillight assemblies, and other small parts promised by large corporations fail to show up as promised. Unfortunately, when this happens you can't just suddenly shift your business elsewhere. We paid and arranged for the delivery of one million widgets and we expect them- and have to wait.

Part of the reason I decided to join this forum (which is surely not authorized) was to try and share some insights into JLR and let people know we care and are trying, as well as let people know why we do the things we do. There are people that worked over the Christmas holiday away their families to try and keep things moving in the background. Unfortunately, once the car makes it to the US and into retailer hands we lose control over the process to some degree.

We sincerely apologize that buying a LR has turned into a great mess, but we are doing absolutely everything we can to alleviate it while juggling the economic stability of the company and ensuring everyone has a job.

Hope this helps.
I want to buy a 110s, white with black roof and the black appearance package, and the 4cyl engine.

If I want to buy a LR and can’t because there aren’t any, you think it’s the supplier’s problem! I’m not buying from the suppliers, I’m trying to buy from you! And I can’t! Therefore I have to buy used and pay the premium. If LR would admit it’s their problem then perhaps they would start solving the problem. Just don’t try to excuse it as “not my fault”, the standard losers lament.

Old 02-16-2022, 05:26 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 186 Likes on 112 Posts

What a dumb response, you sound like a child.

Old 02-16-2022, 05:39 PM
4wd High
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by The Insider
What retailer made this claim? I don't need to know the salesman-just the retailer.
Land Rover West Columbia in Clarksville, Maryland

The following users liked this post:
The Insider (02-16-2022)
Old 02-16-2022, 05:51 PM
Mudding
Received 108 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Jespey
I want to buy a 110s, white with black roof and the black appearance package, and the 4cyl engine.
Even in the before times, to get exactly what you want you would generally need to order custom. One of the major problems with JLR is too many SKUs. They know this, it’s negatively impacting their business and they are (I suppose) trying to simplify.

You’re not entirely wrong however: JLR mismanagement landed the company in a worse-off spot compared to competitors.

Quick Reply: Actual used Defender for sale over MSRP