Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aluminum Rear Tow Hooks

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2021 | 09:34 PM
|
Drifting
Default Aluminum Rear Tow Hooks

Has anyone seen/bought the aluminum CNC tow hooks for sale on Amazon? I realize that the cast iron hooks have way more strength than aluminum(of course, no specs), but weighing that vs rust coming the minute the powder coat takes a hit.

CHEYA Aluminum Alloy Rear Bumper Heavy Duty Trailer Hitch Tow Hook Fit for Land Rover Defender 2020 2021 (Red)

Old 05-21-2021 | 01:15 AM
Winching

If you are buying it solely for looks, sure. It looks like the OEM version, a bit too smooth and skinny perhaps but not a bad knockoff. I would not trust that thing for any type of light or medium tow though, let alone a real off-road recovery. It could be a deadly mistake, literally. And as knockoffs go, it's really not that cheap compared to the genuine article, which is surely 100 times better where it matters (construction, strenght.)

Old 05-21-2021 | 06:12 AM
|
Drifting

I know - if I thought they were anywhere near the strength of the cast ones, I would consider them - thanks for confirming my thinking.

Old 05-21-2021 | 07:05 AM
Mudding

I'd go with the OEM considering they are much cheaper. I found a pair of the rear in black for $93 from here (picture doesn't show loops, but that is the correct part #). But they will rust. Mine have very small rust spots already and haven't been used for a recovery.

Old 05-21-2021 | 08:18 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by John McGuinness
Has anyone seen/bought the aluminum CNC tow hooks for sale on Amazon? I realize that the cast iron hooks have way more strength than aluminum(of course, no specs), but weighing that vs rust coming the minute the powder coat takes a hit.

CHEYA Aluminum Alloy Rear Bumper Heavy Duty Trailer Hitch Tow Hook Fit for Land Rover Defender 2020 2021 (Red)

When you need safety equipment to work, you will be pleased you went with OEM steel. Otherwise, you could suffer real injury.

The following users liked this post:
Magnumforc (05-28-2021)
Old 05-21-2021 | 09:56 AM
Rock Crawling

Just like cast iron cookware, you season them with oil (e.g. olive oil) to prevent rusting. I wonder if you can do the same to the cast iron hooks.

Old 05-21-2021 | 11:00 AM
Rock Crawling

There’s no point in putting recovery points on if you can’t count on them to do what they are supposed to do. You might sell the car someday and some unknowing person could get killed because you put fake recovery points on. Those things should be banned from sale and should be avoided at all costs. If the oem ones rust a bit just put some rust oleum and they’ll be fine.

The following 5 users liked this post by Tartan:
Ahparke (05-21-2021), John McGuinness (05-21-2021), Juancl (05-21-2021), Mechano2020 (05-29-2021), TrioLRowner (05-21-2021)
Old 05-26-2021 | 12:58 AM
Three Wheeling

The problem with the OEM recovery hooks is that they are only finished with a thin coat of paint. And anything hanging off your rear bumper is bound to accrue scratches, even if it’s not being used as a point for hard core recovery towing… meaning the hooks are bound to rust whether they are used or not.

However there is a pretty easy solution. If you’re not planning on using your hooks all the time, but do want them for emergencies… Just get them powder coated. A really thick powder coat finish. Maybe even get them run through twice. This finish should stand up to all the every day scratches a piece of iron hanging off the rear bumper is bound to suffer. If the scratch can’t penetrate the finish, the iron below can’t rust.

That said, if you plan on using your recovery hooks a lot, then it just is what it is. No finish can stand up to that, so expect some rust.

Maybe one day someone will fabricate some stainless steel hooks…

Last edited by TheLittleEngineThatCould; 05-26-2021 at 01:10 AM.
Old 05-26-2021 | 06:17 AM
Rock Crawling

Overthinking this. A bit of rust will never be more than a cosmetic problem that a quick spray of rust oleum can’t solve. Putting aluminum tow points on this car as an alternative would be jus plain stupid.

Old 05-26-2021 | 07:56 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Tartan
Overthinking this. A bit of rust will never be more than a cosmetic problem that a quick spray of rust oleum can’t solve. Putting aluminum tow points on this car as an alternative would be jus plain stupid.
Rust is just another word for patina.

Quick Reply: Aluminum Rear Tow Hooks