2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Coolant Leak Issue - Need recommendations on non OEM Coolant to top up

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2023, 09:15 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 92 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Another Coolant Leak Issue - Need recommendations on non OEM Coolant to top up

Basic gist. Started smelling pancake syrup IN the car. Figured coolant issues finally got me. 2023 130 with not even 4k on it yet.

Check the bottle tonight and its damn near empty. Baffling how it could be that low and no warning light.

Anyway I really do not want to have my vehicle towed (bad experiences in the past). I'm only about 15-20 min away from the dealer. Id like to top it up just to get it there.

I've got AutoZone, Advance Auto Parts, Orelily Auto Parts, and Napa all fairly close to me. Can anyone recommend the best non OEM antifreeze to use? I did a search and this seems to pop up more than once but I'm not confident on the discussion around it that it was the right stuff.

Open to all suggestions. Please give me your thoughts.

The following users liked this post:
WTFChuck (12-19-2023)
Old 12-11-2023, 09:44 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,508 Likes on 1,018 Posts
Default Yes. This is the correct stuff

This is what I keep on hand and bring when going remote. Oil too.

The following 2 users liked this post by GavinC:
starbai (12-11-2023), WTFChuck (12-19-2023)
Old 12-11-2023, 09:52 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 92 Likes on 57 Posts

Thanks gavin I just saw and replied to your other post on this. This stuff is at my local o'reiley's auto parts which i could grab quickly jut to get it to the dealership.

Old 12-11-2023, 10:13 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by starbai
Thanks gavin I just saw and replied to your other post on this. This stuff is at my local o'reiley's auto parts which i could grab quickly jut to get it to the dealership.
No worries. Hope they get you sorted out. OEM stuff is too expensive at the dealer and seems to be made from distilled unobtanium.

Old 12-13-2023, 01:02 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Napa should have Havoline XLC for $20

Old 12-19-2023, 07:06 PM
Winching
Received 653 Likes on 318 Posts

This thread popped up just in time, as I received a warning message to ‘Check Coolant Level’. I’ve been told by mechanics and read similar info that there are basically three types of coolant, delineated by their color as to their chemical makeup. Green, pink and orange and that there is very little difference in branding, of course except for the fact that any of these through a dealer will result in a much lighter wallet than when you walked in. So, is it safe to use any coolant from the usual parts stores, Autozone/Advanced Auto/O’Reillys etc, as long as it is the same color? And by that, I mean the major brands. I wouldn’t go with Walmart or Dollar General branded stuff obviously. Any thoughts?

WAFOX (12-20-2023)
Old 12-20-2023, 08:18 PM
Mudding
Received 100 Likes on 57 Posts

Zerex above is good. I used that too when I had my coolant leak.

WTFChuck (12-21-2023)
Old 12-20-2023, 09:18 PM
Mudding
Received 61 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by WTFChuck
This thread popped up just in time, as I received a warning message to ‘Check Coolant Level’. I’ve been told by mechanics and read similar info that there are basically three types of coolant, delineated by their color as to their chemical makeup. Green, pink and orange and that there is very little difference in branding, of course except for the fact that any of these through a dealer will result in a much lighter wallet than when you walked in. So, is it safe to use any coolant from the usual parts stores, Autozone/Advanced Auto/O’Reillys etc, as long as it is the same color? And by that, I mean the major brands. I wouldn’t go with Walmart or Dollar General branded stuff obviously. Any thoughts?
yea I need to buy some coolant just to have as backup, my 23.5 defender came with pink colored coolant. Sounds like some other years came with different color coolant.

Old 12-20-2023, 11:01 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by WAFOX
yea I need to buy some coolant just to have as backup, my 23.5 defender came with pink colored coolant. Sounds like some other years came with different color coolant.
Pink eh? Could be worse.

Old 12-21-2023, 09:27 AM
Winching
Received 653 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by WAFOX
My coolant is orange, but apparently both pink and orange are the same makeup, OAT, or Organic Acid Technology, meaning they are silicate and/or borate free, and produced for engines with more aluminum parts to prevent corrosion. They are interchangeable, but never use the old style green according to my search results.

WAFOX (12-21-2023)

Quick Reply: Another Coolant Leak Issue - Need recommendations on non OEM Coolant to top up