Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any Regrets?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2022, 02:52 PM
Drifting
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Any Regrets?

I've got a deposit down on a 2023 110 P400 X-Dynamic SE (Dealer order) which has landed in Canada but likely 2-3 weeks away from delivery. I'm currently trying to decide if it's worth moving to a Defender with the current market prepped for a nose dive. I know timing the markets is impossible but the car market is already starting to decline in my opinion. My current Velar lease (Family/Friends deal) still has another 14 or so months left on it, at a very friendly $730 a month lease payment. I could wait till next year to decide as this Defender is not spec'd 100% right for me. Also, I don't care for Velar anymore, it's tight on leg room (car seat) and doesn't have air suspension which makes the ride quite hard. The Defender gives us some needed leg room and cargo space which we need right now - plus it's freaking cool and would be fun to get out on the trails.

Is anyone else in a similar situation and happy they made the jump? Anyone go the other way and get an RR Sport or Disco? Maybe I should ride it out?

Old 07-13-2022, 03:04 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,299 Likes on 949 Posts

Defender is a lot of fun to own.

The following 7 users liked this post by GavinC:
BulldogDefender (07-13-2022), D-Fens (07-13-2022), robn (07-14-2022), Rover57 (07-13-2022), skeptical (07-13-2022), tkiel (07-13-2022), yocut33m (07-24-2022) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-13-2022, 03:21 PM
Mudding
Received 129 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Finite
I've got a deposit down on a 2023 110 P400 X-Dynamic SE (Dealer order) which has landed in Canada but likely 2-3 weeks away from delivery. I'm currently trying to decide if it's worth moving to a Defender with the current market prepped for a nose dive. I know timing the markets is impossible but the car market is already starting to decline in my opinion. My current Velar lease (Family/Friends deal) still has another 14 or so months left on it, at a very friendly $730 a month lease payment. I could wait till next year to decide as this Defender is not spec'd 100% right for me. Also, I don't care for Velar anymore, it's tight on leg room (car seat) and doesn't have air suspension which makes the ride quite hard. The Defender gives us some needed leg room and cargo space which we need right now - plus it's freaking cool and would be fun to get out on the trails.

Is anyone else in a similar situation and happy they made the jump? Anyone go the other way and get an RR Sport or Disco? Maybe I should ride it out?
If you don’t need 7 seats, I can’t think of any reason to buy the Disco over the Defender. The RR sport is very expensive, but if you very rarely plan to go off road and like the look of the RR sport, it does have a more upscale cabin. I’m in the market for a short SUV due to street parking and no kids, so the only competitor to the 90 for me from LR was the Disco sport (which is actually pretty nice imo).

With all that said, I wouldn’t pay over MSRP for a car that isn’t to my liking if I didn’t need to. In 12-14 months you might be able to get a Defender for under MSRP and you could even order it from the factory and get all the features you want. At the very least I would order one now from the factory exactly as I want and it should probably arrive in 6 months.

Old 07-13-2022, 03:32 PM
Drifting

Yea, there's no need for 7 seats - just a toddler and dog. I personally would love a 90 V8 but I need the extra doors. If the kid was older and could climb in the back and what not, that would be the one I'd be chasing down.

I'm getting the 110 at MSRP but I have to spend a certain amount on dealer options, e.g. 3M, mud flaps, interior protection package. etc. So the price is as good as it gets (all the dealerships within a 3-4 hour drive are owned by the same company). I think I might consider ordering one instead, but then I likely lose out on the trade-in equity of my Velar (10k positive on a lease is pretty insane). I don't think I see that 10k equity from my lease next year because of the market dip/crash I previously mentioned.

I also don't see Defender prices falling as much as other vehicles in the LR lineup either. I was looking at 1-2 year old ones, and they are only 5-10k cheaper than brand new ones...assuming you are able to purchase or find one at MSRP.

Old 07-13-2022, 03:33 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 698 Likes on 405 Posts

I hold the personal view (IMO) that if one is not buying the new Defender for: a) its off-road / overlanding capability OR b) for its looks being quite different from other current, JLR products, OR c) leasing it for a short time frame as a change of pace, there might exist more efficient and capable on-road vehicles available from JLR. I bought for reason a).

The RR sport is certainly popular and people who own it seem very happy with it.

I loved the minimalist styling of the Velar, but didn't decide that was a reason sufficient to own it. As well, I miss my 2016 Evoque every time I see one at the dealer -- but it is too small for my current needs. I remain very happy with my two D4s, as they were the most off-road capable vehicle available when they were offered, tow great, have a roomy, third row seat and carry a ton of stuff inside.

Enjoy whichever makes you the happiest !!

The following 2 users liked this post by TrioLRowner:
Finite (07-13-2022), jusmax88 (07-13-2022)
Old 07-13-2022, 03:54 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by TrioLRowner
I hold the personal view (IMO) that if one is not buying the new Defender for: a) its off-road / overlanding capability OR b) for its looks being quite different from other current, JLR products, OR c) leasing it for a short time frame as a change of pace, there might exist more efficient and capable on-road vehicles available from JLR.
I fall under B/C and hoping to be under A as well. I used to camp and "overland" to get to some fun fishing spots growing up and would love to introduce that to my kid as well. I think I'll get a lot of smiles per miles with a Defender whereas the Velar was just nice to look at, but less so driving it short or long distances. I just wish the 11.4" screen was available, since I think it makes the cabin look more complete/modern.

I guess I shouldn't have come on these forums looking for someone to change my mind, you all probably love your Defenders to death...

The following users liked this post:
jusmax88 (07-13-2022)
Old 07-13-2022, 04:12 PM
Mudding
Received 88 Likes on 56 Posts

since everyone is different and every situation unique, i think you just gotta follow your heart and do what makes you happy.

when it comes to first-world, luxury issues like this, i say: if you love it, want it, and can afford it – then buy it.

no one knows what the future has in store. good luck!

Finite (07-13-2022)
Old 07-13-2022, 04:37 PM
Drifting
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Owned 3 Range Rover Sports before the Defender. I've only had this car a few months and received more compliments than any vehicle I've had. There are so many RRS and Velars on the road... Defender is more unique, at least right now.

The following 3 users liked this post by rangebros:
Finite (07-13-2022), jusmax88 (07-13-2022), MacMia (07-15-2022)
Old 07-13-2022, 05:10 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,299 Likes on 949 Posts

Originally Posted by Finite
I fall under B/C and hoping to be under A as well. I used to camp and "overland" to get to some fun fishing spots growing up and would love to introduce that to my kid as well. I think I'll get a lot of smiles per miles with a Defender whereas the Velar was just nice to look at, but less so driving it short or long distances. I just wish the 11.4" screen was available, since I think it makes the cabin look more complete/modern.

I guess I shouldn't have come on these forums looking for someone to change my mind, you all probably love your Defenders to death...
There are a few threads discussing issues where unhappy campers share their thoughts. Myself included.

A thread of sadness here Major malfunctions

Some have gotten rid of theirs after months of unhappy driving/issues but by and large this is a forum of happy owners.
This is my first JLR vehicle and it ticks all the boxes for what I wanted and more.

It opens up loads of new playgrounds to get mucky and have generally have a blast. It can haul stuff, haul ***, and get you places that are not possible in a regular clearance vehicle.

A fun thread here. Defenders in the wild

I find myself occasionally giving it the odd gentle pat on the tire or hood from time to time or stealing a crafty backward glance at it, as I walk away every. Daft I know.
I've never driven a Velar so don't know if that would evoke the same feelings in me. Who knows?

The following 2 users liked this post by GavinC:
Drednot (07-13-2022), Shropshire007 (08-18-2022)
Old 07-13-2022, 05:16 PM
Mudding
Received 155 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by GavinC
There are a few threads discussing issues where unhappy campers share their thoughts. Myself included.

A thread of sadness here Major malfunctions

Some have gotten rid of theirs after months of unhappy driving/issues but by and large this is a forum of happy owners.
This is my first JLR vehicle and it ticks all the boxes for what I wanted and more.

It opens up loads of new playgrounds to get mucky and have generally have a blast. It can haul stuff, haul ***, and get you places that are not possible in a regular clearance vehicle.

A fun thread here. Defenders in the wild

I find myself occasionally giving it the odd gentle pat on the tire or hood from time to time or stealing a crafty backward glance at it, as I walk away every. Daft I know.
I've never driven a Velar so don't know if that would evoke the same feelings in me. Who knows?
I still do a lot of looking back as I walk away... and just walking into the garage to appreciate it. It's also my first JLR vehicle and I was going to get a Bronco, but certainly no regrets here. I've never been the type to try to play any games with what the market might do, or deal with resale calculations - if I like it and can afford it, I get it. I got it, it makes me happy, that'll cover depreciation or anything else.

GavinC (07-13-2022)

Quick Reply: Any Regrets?