Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any Regrets?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2022, 06:08 PM
Mudding
Received 167 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by RedAustinIX
DoctorofRocks - the compressor is a port-installed accessory, so you can still add it!
I'm keeping a close eye on eBay looking for salvage part-outs - hopefully I can snag one there and install it myself

Old 07-15-2022, 08:03 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts
Default A regret

There was a period of time in which I could alter my spec before it was manufactured. I wish I had upgraded to the air suspension if no reason other than to be able to get in an out of the car! That seat is waaaay up there. :-)

Old 07-15-2022, 10:21 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 231 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by NeedaHobby
There was a period of time in which I could alter my spec before it was manufactured. I wish I had upgraded to the air suspension if no reason other than to be able to get in an out of the car! That seat is waaaay up there. :-)
Yea I don't know how you guys do it without air. That's nut torsion waiting to happen unless you're 6ft 6. If I went for coils then I would've had to go with side-steps so on cost it's probably a wash.

The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (07-15-2022)
Old 07-15-2022, 11:40 AM
Mudding
Received 95 Likes on 41 Posts

The happy owners are the silent majority. It's such a fantastic car. I've had my '22 Defender X since January and I'm still trying to find excuses to take it out. It's been on major road trips and zero hiccups.

What I like best about the Defender is that it can play the offroad role, but also dress in a tux to be in a city/suburb as well. There are little no other vehicles that can do this so well. It's also a very unique vehicle as you won't see any other Defenders for miles.. at least in my area (U.S. - NorCal)

The following 3 users liked this post by AgentMir:
Craig_RRS2013 (07-27-2022), GrouseK9 (07-15-2022), skeptical (07-15-2022)
Old 07-15-2022, 05:38 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,255 Likes on 747 Posts

Spot on @AgentMir . I'm going to curse myself: but it has been flawless, fun, enjoyable and I love it. I've had a few minor issues, but those were either self inflicted and then cured or minor enough that I took care of them. Definitely my favorite vehicle at the moment. Though, when my Ineos number comes up, I may have to make a hard decision.

Old 07-15-2022, 09:33 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,394 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by GrouseK9
Though, when my Ineos number comes up, I may have to make a hard decision.
With the forecast July 2022 deliveries in UK and Europe not even close to happening it looks like you and I won’t have to worry about making that decision for quite a while. Maybe we’ll be tired of our Defenders by then.

Old 07-15-2022, 09:40 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,394 Likes on 688 Posts

…and for the record (hopefully not damning myself to flickering headlights by saying this) 13 months, 14,600 miles in and nary a hiccup, as my grandmother used to say. 400 more miles and I’ll be at the point my 2-year-old Wrangler blew its engine so I’m getting close to “as reliable as a Chrysler/Fiat”, and may surpass that lofty standard early next week. Woohoo!

Seriously, other than replacing the two little front corner trim pieces right behind the front wheels (DON’T GET THE CLASSIC MUD FLAPS IF YOU OFF-ROAD WITH THE LEAST BIT OF SERIOUSNESS!!! They come off and pull the trim piece with them) and the windshield (branch fell on it in a hurricane), literally nothing.

I’ve replaced the rear brakes so I could run 18” wheels when going on an off-roading trip, added a LK8 winch on the front, and added 18” OEM steelies (black) and Cooper RT tires. Otherwise stock.

Old 07-15-2022, 10:10 PM
Winching
Received 610 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by D-Fens
I still do a lot of looking back as I walk away... and just walking into the garage to appreciate it. It's also my first JLR vehicle and I was going to get a Bronco, but certainly no regrets here. I've never been the type to try to play any games with what the market might do, or deal with resale calculations - if I like it and can afford it, I get it. I got it, it makes me happy, that'll cover depreciation or anything else.
D-Fens: Thanks for your confession of the urge to ‘just walk into the garage to appreciate it’. I thought it was just me, and kept it to myself. I know the feeling. So many reviews and comparisons to the Bronco, but when I pull up next to one, it doesn’t measure up in terms of looks or equipment or sheer curb appeal, IMO.

D-Fens (07-16-2022)
Old 07-16-2022, 02:20 PM
Drifting
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Been busy with work, but came back to lots of other great comments and feedback. I've got an appointment to sign the paperwork later this month, so it sounds like it's a done deal from my end. I have been reading some of the issues/cost-saving measures so that's tempered my excitement a bit but you never know with a JLR. You might be issue free for years, or might be going to the dealership a few times a year.

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Seriously, other than replacing the two little front corner trim pieces right behind the front wheels (DON’T GET THE CLASSIC MUD FLAPS IF YOU OFF-ROAD WITH THE LEAST BIT OF SERIOUSNESS!!! They come off and pull the trim piece with them) and the windshield (branch fell on it in a hurricane), literally nothing.
I asked the Dealership to install the Front/Read Classic Splash Guards. Are these the ones you are referring to? There are also Splash Guards and Classic Mudflaps too. Which I opted not to go with.

Last edited by Finite; 07-16-2022 at 03:34 PM.
Chief65 (07-16-2022)
Old 07-16-2022, 02:59 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 231 Likes on 141 Posts

Although I'm trading mine in soon I do think anyone who gets a strong urge for one should buy one. There's a lot to like about the vehicle. Plus I think this is a good opportunity for the OP given the trade equity situation. Yes I've had a number of issues with mine including several that are ongoing and would probably not repurchase one anytime soon but it was still good having first hand experience and several visits to the local dealership to see how they treat customers. If your local JLR dealer is bad and / or your nearest dealer is a long distance that's where I'd really recommend thinking twice tbh.

ficklma1 (01-02-2023)

Quick Reply: Any Regrets?