2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone’s Dealer like to Upcharge on Parts?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2024, 07:12 PM
Mudding
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Anyone’s Dealer like to Upcharge on Parts?

My dealer quoted me $1,791 for LR140076, which is $1,125 online from official dealerships across the country. I asked me SA and he said they will allow me to order the part, but won’t warranty the repair. I asked if they will come close to the price quoted online and have yet to get a response 8 hours later.

Is this a normal dealership tactic? They havent done this to me before, and are usually pretty good about this type of thing.

Old 05-16-2024, 09:12 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 101 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by EchorecT7E
My dealer quoted me $1,791 for LR140076, which is $1,125 online from official dealerships across the country. I asked me SA and he said they will allow me to order the part, but won’t warranty the repair. I asked if they will come close to the price quoted online and have yet to get a response 8 hours later.

Is this a normal dealership tactic? They havent done this to me before, and are usually pretty good about this type of thing.
that alone should make people think about extended warranty. $2K for shocks plus labor....

Old 05-16-2024, 09:16 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by TeddyG
that alone should make people think about extended warranty. $2K for shocks plus labor....
my warranty won’t cover it because they think a nut went loose and the shock experienced damage as a result… the nut is loose BECAUSE the thread on the dampening shock is failing. An extended warranty will not help you. They’re asking $2,800 to fix.

I am considering selling the Defender after the repair is made. Mine is not high mileage nor has it been abused.

Old 05-17-2024, 07:10 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 130 Likes on 87 Posts

If you buy an OEM part and get whatever dealer you chose to install it, there is zero reason for this not to be covered under warranty. Make sure you keep the invoice that shows the part is an OEM part purchased from an authorized LR dealership and not ebay (unless it is LR dealer ebay store) A lot of LR dealers across the US sell parts online for a discount. My dealer has always matched other dealer's online prices. I would talk to the parts manager at the dealership where you want to install it and get them to match the price. You service advisor is not the route I would take.

Old 05-17-2024, 09:35 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

I have found some of the on-line dealers charge very heavy on the shipping.

The following users liked this post:
NativeTexan (05-18-2024)
Old 05-17-2024, 09:37 AM
Mudding
Received 125 Likes on 79 Posts

Buy the part online and have an independent shop install it. They are an easy swap, maybe two hours of shop time.
Don't buy parts from the dealer if it's not being covered under warranty. I wouldn't be concerned about them not offering a warranty on the part if you change it. Odds are that part will last at least 70k miles, which is typically when the air struts start to wane in reliability.

https://www.scuderiacarparts.com/par...rber-rear.html

Old 05-17-2024, 11:22 AM
Mudding

FYI this part is on national backorder with no ETA. I’ve called everywhere, seems to be out of stock. Not even my dealer (who was ripping me off) had it in stock.

I placed an order with Autonation Parts who allegedly have the part in stock. We’ll see. What a headache.

Old 05-18-2024, 06:46 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,297 Likes on 948 Posts

FYI this part is on national backorder with no ETA. I’ve called everywhere, seems to be out of stock. Not even my dealer (who was ripping me off) had it in stock.

I placed an order with Autonation Parts who allegedly have the part in stock. We’ll see. What a headache.

https://landrover.oempartsonline.com...embly-lr140076

Land Leaping seem to have it. MSRP is $1480.22 but they have it for less. $1135

Seems like your dealer is tacking on a nice fat Dealer fee to the part. I'd buy it and bring it to an independent place or DIY.

Old 05-21-2024, 03:08 PM
Mudding

I have called just about every parts distributor/seller in the US. The part is on national backorder unfortunately. I thought I had a deal with AutoNation Parts but they also do not have the part.

Very frustrating given how many dealerships/stores show it as in stock.

Old 05-21-2024, 05:26 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,297 Likes on 948 Posts

Misery loves company @EchorecT7E .

Took my skilled dealer over a week to figure out they also needed a shock. They supposedly looked at it a week or so ago after me walking them to the issue and asking them to inspect the shock. "yeah shock is fine just needs mount" to "Oh yeah the shock is broken." Now we wait for ~10 days to get the part. I suspect the tech never bothered to inspect the shock as I asked and just lied to me. Same guy told me he'd replaced a broken clip on the tailgate and the one I was pointing at was the new one he'd installed. Same scratch from a ski pole and busted plastic tip on the new one too. Remarkable.

Shock mount and shock parts even comes as a full unit. Shock and mount together.

7 working days for them to figure stuff out and it's exactly what was outlined and suggested to them. They couldn't diagnose it without me in the car. Truly epic level efficiency from the LR team.

Who knows what the actual true time line on the part is. They have always been next to useless in that dept. More lies and BS to come no doubt.

Last edited by GavinC; 05-21-2024 at 08:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Anyone’s Dealer like to Upcharge on Parts?