Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone Tried one of these?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2021, 01:54 PM
Mudding
Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Anyone Tried one of these?

So I was rummaging around on the interwebs looking for side tube steps for my 110 and happened to stumble across a site that sold a dashcam that is integrated into the defenders rain sensor cover. I was amazed it existed without getting a mention on here, so I felt it deserved a post :P It comes with a little piggy back harness and is completely plug and play, you just pop off the rain sensor cover, plug it in, and snap it on instead of the old cover. Seems like the dream dashcam solution for the defender.

I found it on newdefenderparts here : https://www.newdefenderparts.com/col...40457685762202

but you can also order them for less directly from aliexpress in china here : https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...47664985%22%7D

Anyone tried one of these? It's a brilliant idea if they work, I'm definitely going to order one and hope it does.

One a side note, the tube steps I was actually looking for I never found. Was hoping for something that looks like the Lucky8 rock rails without the underbody armor so it can bolt onto the OEM side step mounts. Easier install, less weight, and I won't be rock crawling...

The following 2 users liked this post by Iceman153:
GrouseK9 (09-07-2021), mammoth (09-08-2021)
Old 09-07-2021, 02:38 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 238 Likes on 97 Posts

Love the idea and implementation. I've just been looking at dash cams, but don't like the cluttered look of extra gadgets and was just thinking in the last week how brilliant it would be for someone to do exactly what you've found! This solution looks OEM and factory built in. I just wonder if their software and bluetooth is as good as say Garmin's, and if they have utilized the existing wiring in the upper console for plug and play installation. Never like to pull down headliners and A pillars to run wires. Please give us a follow up of your experience!

Old 09-07-2021, 02:44 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,412 Likes on 713 Posts

Why oh why does it not come with a rear camera add-on?

Old 09-07-2021, 02:53 PM
Mudding

@drcoop Will do, just placed the order. According to the videos and the description it comes with a wiring harness that plugs into the rain sensor, so there shouldn't be any wiring to run at all, it should just plug in. There are models with a rear camera, and obviously for that you'd need to run a wire.

I'm sure the software is not going to be as good as something from a brand name like Garmin, I think it uses wifi to connect to your phone and view/download the videos. As long as it works and actually records decent quality video it doesn't really matter how clunky the software is as I won't be using it often. Having it all hidden and clean like that is far more important to me.

The following users liked this post:
drcoop (09-07-2021)
Old 09-07-2021, 02:54 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by _Allegedly
Why oh why does it not come with a rear camera add-on?
If you search on aliexpress there are other models that allow a rear camera, I couldn't find any 4k ones, but there are 1600p/1080p versions with a rear camera.

Old 09-07-2021, 06:49 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,412 Likes on 713 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceman153
If you search on aliexpress there are other models that allow a rear camera, I couldn't find any 4k ones, but there are 1600p/1080p versions with a rear camera.
I have a Vava now and it's excellent. Front & rear with motion detection. It works flawlessly and the picture is far more than good enough for the purpose. Problem with 4k dual cams is the data rate for recording. This card gets a little hot as it is. It would need 2.

I have it hardwired and it's a clean install but it just doesn't disappear into the vehicle.

Old 09-07-2021, 07:39 PM
Winching
Received 561 Likes on 252 Posts

Great idea and design, but they should post some sample video as well, that's how you sell dashcams. With the lens a fair bit away from the windshield (or so it appears in the photos), that camera may be picking up quite a bit of reflections from the dash, especially on bright / sunny days. I have a Street Guardian in that position and eventually installed a polarized filter that pretty much eliminated 99% of reflections. They were quite substantial otherwise. Sample video below from a recent trip to our local mountains.

Last edited by umbertob; 09-07-2021 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Added sample video
Pangea123 (12-28-2021)
Old 09-07-2021, 09:12 PM
Mudding
Received 164 Likes on 93 Posts

@drcoop Will do, just placed the order. According to the videos and the description it comes with a wiring harness that plugs into the rain sensor, so there shouldn't be any wiring to run at all, it should just plug in. There are models with a rear camera, and obviously for that you'd need to run a wire.

I'm sure the software is not going to be as good as something from a brand name like Garmin, I think it uses wifi to connect to your phone and view/download the videos. As long as it works and actually records decent quality video it doesn't really matter how clunky the software is as I won't be using it often. Having it all hidden and clean like that is far more important to me.
Thanks for posting! Looks a lot cleaner than all the other dash cams systems. Let’s hope the WiFi interface and video quality works well. Probably not though. I look forward to your review. I haven’t looked at the website blurb Tom much but it looks like there is no way to adjust the lens up/down. I agree with umbertob that polarizing lens will penalty be needed. Perhaps it has a threaded lens attachment.

Last edited by TheMoke; 09-08-2021 at 06:45 AM.
Old 09-08-2021, 12:49 AM
Mudding

Yeah I don't have high hopes for the quality of the video, but I'm mainly after it for accident/insurance protection, as long as it can make out number plates I'll be happy. If I want to actually record something important for memories I'd mount the gopro which will beat out any dashcam for image quality.

I'll post back with how well it works, I got the 4k model, I probably won't actually record in 4k as usually the cheap Chinese cams usually upscale just to say they record in 4k. Hopefully if I set my expectations low enough it should exceed them...

DefendTheFarm (09-08-2021)
Old 09-08-2021, 08:40 AM
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah I don't have high hopes for the quality of the video, but I'm mainly after it for accident/insurance protection, as long as it can make out number plates I'll be happy. If I want to actually record something important for memories I'd mount the gopro which will beat out any dashcam for image quality.

I'll post back with how well it works, I got the 4k model, I probably won't actually record in 4k as usually the cheap Chinese cams usually upscale just to say they record in 4k. Hopefully if I set my expectations low enough it should exceed them...
I’m following this closely.. if you remember, please tag me when you post an update. Thanks for being the guinea pig.

Iceman153 (09-08-2021)

Quick Reply: Anyone Tried one of these?