Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Australian Roo-Bars

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2021, 12:37 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,254 Likes on 746 Posts
Default Australian Roo-Bars

Finally, done!! That was not as straight forward as things were pre-COVID. I think I had to play Radar O'Reilly and scrounge across the globe, plot how best to grab things. I picked it up this a.m. and haven't had a chance for Glamor Shots or Instagram Pics, but you get the idea. Step 1 done. Now on to wheels.

Bull-bars, Roo-bars, brush-guards: Got them from New Defender Mods. Shipped from Australia. Like everyone on the planet, they are having supply issues. Get on their mailing list and when they email you that they have 2 or 3 at 4:00am in the morning, you BETTER order fast. When they get 3 or 5 in, they are shipping them globally, so be committed. Then I dealt with a vague DHL communication process and sketchy customs hurdles. Once arrived, they were beautiful, well packed, as advertised and authentic JLR accessories. Link.

Installation: The older I get, the less time I have to do what I want. I really wanted to install them myself but my wife was actually the one who pushed me to have someone else do it - she didn't want to lose me to the shop for two months' of weekends. I'm also VERY lucky to have a world class 3rd party Land Rover service shop within striking distance of me. Hill Country British (Link) in San Antonio has a great area reputation. They put on the annual Hill Country Rover Rally (Link) at an epic outdoor park (Link) near Marble Falls, Tx, so they definitely have the chops to do this kind of thing. They've installed a ton of winches but this was their first L663. I've talked to them a lot and they definitely have a rich history with Rovers so I had little anxieties. Plus I likely got the "Guinea Pig" discount! I think the Service Tech worked just on this for most of a week. When I told them it would have likely taken me two months of weekends, I got the polite smile that said "Yeah, you're a dope for that thought". He had WAY too much customer service skills, but I have deep experience in people giving me that look so I'm sure it was a raving fantasy that I could do it in that short of a time. They did exceptional work and I'm well pleased that they did it and not me. They also have an excellent relationship with Lucky8 (Link). BOY do I wish I lived close enough to go to them. I also recommend checking out their options as they become available as likely a sold/better alternative to the JLR ones. Definitely they should not cost as much! {Side note: Hill Country British is RIGHT next to the San Antonio airport. I would seriously recommend driving up your truck, take a cheap Southwest ride home and repeat for pick up if you have something serious you need done and you aren't close. I would have done something like this if Lucky8 were near an airport. If you are within a cheap SW flight, consider it.}

Winch: I wanted to stay relatively stock so I scoured around looking for a Warn Zeon 10-S. I looked EVERYWHERE. Finally talked to Warn and they said they wouldn't be available until Spring '22. Seeing them all on the Trek 21's I know where the limited supply went! Anyway, it eventually dawned on me that a Zeon 10 with a replacement synthetic line was technically the exact same thing. I found one in Montana on what appeared to be a very sketchy/old site. But true to their word, it showed up, it was perfect and they actually are nationally recognized - again, I'm the dope. They also have a massive amount of parts & technical expertise. Highly recommend "Montana Jacks Outpost" for your winching needs. No, I don't get a discount or payment or anything - I just had a good experience. (Link). At the time I was doing my scavenger hunt they didn't have the synthetic cable. So, I just went the easy route and grabbed the 100' 3/8" from Amazon. (
Link Link
).

500am Cut-off Switch: I think it was @TrioLRowner who put me onto the idea of a cut-off switch. I love the containment due to the quirkiness of the Defender electronics. I couldn't get this on Amazon as they were sold out so I finally scored it from some unknown eBay company. Fortunately, I must have been living cleanly that week because it arrived as advertised and worked! I can't find the e-mails/order, but as soon as I do I'll update it here. As mentioned search for @TrioLRowner 's winch build and you're likely to find the specs on his thread.

Undershield: As long as I (or someone else as it turned out) was going to be pulling everything off, it was time to get a Front Undershield (Link). If you plan to off-road your Defender and if they install it at the manufacturer or port, add this to you order specs. If they do it at the dealer, just do it yourself later or go like I did. My local couldn't source it and when I was in the Valley (Rio Grande Valley) a few weeks ago, it was a sourcing issue for most of the dealers. So I ordered it from Palm Beach Land Rover. It seems that every dealer has the same web page for Parts: Call us or fill out this form that no one EVER replies to. Only a hand full pay the extra bump to do on-line commerce. Palm Beach does. However, they are JACKED UP. Their fulfillment process stinks. Be prepared to follow up often, persistently and consistently. Be prepared to talk to different people who will give you different responses. Yeah that kind of place. Further, they kept swearing I was getting e-mail updates but once I told them to check their outbox mysteriously I had half a dozen within a couple hours. Anyway, they ordered it, shipped it and it EVENTUALLY showed up. (Link - go thru the green box selection until you have your vehicle's specs). If I had to do it again, I would have ordered it from PowerfulUk. They don't show it online if it's out of stock and I've NEVER had anything show up longer than 5 days (they're in England, I'm in Texas, US). It's likely price comparable (Palm Beach told me that the shipping was less and then didn't ship until I doubled down - it was more expensive than shipping from England). (Link).

Bits & Parts: Having a synthetic line, I went with the 1.5" Factor55 Fairlead (for synthetic lines it replaces the old roller style fairleads). Good old Amazon (
Link Link
). I like the "closed system" recovery styles so I went with the Factor55 ProLink. Entire chat rooms are consumed with dialog about winch hooks and optimal recovery gear, so start there. This is what I went with. (
Link Link
)

License Bracket: I'm screwed here. I didn't put my Radar skills to use in time. I thought I would go with one of the clip on covers that go over the fairlead. Finally I pivoted and decided to go with the Sly Brackets. But when I checked - Sold Out! So I'm being lawless in a state that requires both. I'll figure a way to mount one redneck style (aka duck tape, zip ties, or bailing wire) until I can score a Sly Bracket or find a style I like. Maybe about the time I find some lights I like putting on the bars. (Link).

I think that's about everything. Haven't really started playing with it yet or putting it to test. Will add more about that in the coming weekends. Also, don't have any Glamor shots yet, but hoping the specs & links help those who are planning on adding a winch/bars up front. And if you don't care, I'll still drink a pint with you at a Car/Rover Rally! Proud Defender Owners One and All.

In case anyone is wondering. The JLR Roo-bars/bull-bars move the sensors and cameras forward from the bumper/plastic trim into the actual bars themselves. You can see two sensors on either side of the fairlead and a camera directly above it. The LIDAR/RADAR/whatever that's hidden behind the grill bar (the silver horizontal bar with the green Land Rover badge) is unchanged and the bars are designed not to obstruct it. No issues to date, but not many miles. I predict it will be flawless. Or, as flawless as a Defender is between OTA software updates...

Last edited by GrouseK9; 09-23-2021 at 01:29 PM.
The following 7 users liked this post by GrouseK9:
ADVAW8S (09-23-2021), AustralianIdoma (10-05-2021), GavinC (09-23-2021), LandRanger (12-30-2022), Lnberger (09-28-2021), mammoth (09-23-2021), TrioLRowner (09-24-2021) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)