Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto High Beam Assist

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2021, 09:46 AM
Mudding
Received 78 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Auto High Beam Assist

Not sure if this was addressed yet, but in terms of another annoying electronic gremlin.....on my vehicle I toggled "on" my auto high beam assist (AHBA) under settings. However, every few days it will toggle off and be deactivated, then I have to go into settings and toggle it back on. I really love AHBA and it works flawlessly in my Discovery (and in past LR vehicles). Does anyone know a trick so that it stays enabled in the new Defender so you don't have to go back into settings to toggle it back on?

----------------------------------------------------------
2020 Defender 110 First Edition Indus Silver (Current)
2020 Discovery HSE Luxury Si6 Fuji White (Current)
2015 RRS Autobiography Fuji White (Former)
2011 RRS Supercharged Fuji White (Former)
2008 LR2 Fuji White (Former)

Old 01-24-2021, 09:59 AM
Vin
Mudding
Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts

I contend auto high beam is one of the greatest evolutions in automobiling in the 2010’s, perhaps second only to the Defender’s rear-view camera/mirror. (To round out the top three, I also have to mention the stop/hold feature).

From my observations it seems the auto high beam feature toggles whenever there’s a software update, but I seem to have also had issues when using the fogs.

Old 01-24-2021, 12:58 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 700 Likes on 405 Posts

I believe the high beams are not enabled to be used when the front fog lights are on. I think this is a set design feature.

Old 01-24-2021, 02:58 PM
Vin
Mudding
Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts

Sorry, I should’ve clarified. You are correct that fog lights are disabled when the highbeams are on, but what I was saying is that turning on the fog lights appears to affect auto high beam feature on subsequent starts.

The following users liked this post:
Tucker Woods (01-24-2021)
Old 01-25-2021, 11:27 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 268 Likes on 168 Posts

My high beam assist toggles off every time I park the car. Drives me nuts as I usually realize it’s not working right when I end up blinding some poor sod coming at me. Will ask dealer about this.

Old 01-25-2021, 11:47 AM
Mudding
Received 90 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Tartan
My high beam assist toggles off every time I park the car. Drives me nuts as I usually realize it’s not working right when I end up blinding some poor sod coming at me. Will ask dealer about this.
Mine doesn't do it every day. Normally I can get 3-4 days before it has to be manually toggled on my Defender.

Old 01-25-2021, 08:55 PM
Mudding
Received 78 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by crewcabrob
Mine doesn't do it every day. Normally I can get 3-4 days before it has to be manually toggled on my Defender.
Same with me. I can go 3-4 days also w/o having to toggle it back on. I don't find a relation with using the fog lights.....happens every few days regardless if I used fog lights or not.

/

Old 02-03-2021, 09:17 AM
Mudding
Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Mine had not turned off in a few days maybe a week and then it turned off in settings yesterday. It happened about the same time the fault on startup for emergency steering and braking occurred. At next ignition cycle the fault was gone and I toggled the AHBA back on. Makes me think it is software.

I am positive that fog lights don’t run with high beam. That is by design. Last vehicle was the same. I wrote and posted somewhere an update on the AHBA manual intervention and using the left hand stalk to manage that. It didn’t work as the book said and some light symbols just don’t exist on my Defender as the book says but do on our Discovery. It’s all good as long as I understand it. But with all my fiddling checking out the lights the AHBA stayed toggled to ON. So there is some intermittent gremlin or action that causes it to toggle off

Old 02-03-2021, 09:23 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 681 Likes on 409 Posts

On a related note...for anyone new to Land Rover you can run the parking lights and fog lights together with the main headlights still off. I have actually used this feature when driving in a insane blizzard where my own headlights were blinding me. Rear fog lights are a nice feature during blizzard driving as well.

Old 02-03-2021, 12:14 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 700 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by PaulLR
On a related note...for anyone new to Land Rover you can run the parking lights and fog lights together with the main headlights still off. I have actually used this feature when driving in a insane blizzard where my own headlights were blinding me. Rear fog lights are a nice feature during blizzard driving as well.
Yes, I have done the same in a blizzard and also in order to not excite the chickens after they have roosted for the night.

I think the rear fog lights are something that are an effective, common sense design rule -- we could use in the U.S. in place of the less useful car design rules.

Quick Reply: Auto High Beam Assist