Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Avoid Supertweaks at all costs

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2022, 07:47 AM
Mudding
Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Avoid Supertweaks at all costs

Has anyone on here had any issues with the aftermarket company Supertweaks? I have had nothing but bad experiences with them since early last year - including outrageous shipping charges, damaged items and parts clained as OEM that have been modified. I purchased 'OEM' wheel nuts that my dealer then told me were not OEM, and subsequently had to have a 22" rim CUT OFF as the nut had seized on the wheel. My dealer even contacted them to ask about options for removal and they ignored them. When I reached out they said my dealer must have ripped me off. Currently I am disputing a charge with my credit card company for an order that was placed but subsequently cancelled, and they even told me the order had been cancelled, and the order is not showing on my account on their site, yet I have to prove that the order was not received before I can get a refund.

These guys are crooks - Goggle 'Supertweaks reviews' and see how many people have taken them to court or have been ripped off. AVOID THEM AT ALL COSTS.

The following 2 users liked this post by therift72:
kiwi.tango (03-21-2022), SATMAN13 (10-29-2022)
Old 03-17-2022, 08:58 AM
Mudding
Received 147 Likes on 83 Posts

I got an oem bash plate from them. Horribly packed and beat to ****, with the inside hooks bent 45 degrees.

The following 2 users liked this post by Mcdooogs:
SATMAN13 (10-29-2022), therift72 (03-27-2022)
Old 03-17-2022, 09:14 AM
Mudding

Terrible packing - I bought some OEM mud guards and one of them got beat to sh*t from a copper staple inside the box rubbing on the part during shipping. I had to pay my dealer for a replacement - their response was 'its a genuine Land Rover product so take it up with them if you want it replaced'.

The following users liked this post:
SATMAN13 (10-29-2022)
Old 03-17-2022, 09:32 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

They do not even show a physical address in the "UK" - if they are there.... Domain name registration - private. Phone is a relay service. Very "legit" looking

Old 03-17-2022, 09:38 AM
Mudding

Sketchy at best. If you google them you come across ALOT of complaints and people trying to sue them.

Once again - AVOID THEM AT ALL COSTS.

Stick with Powerful UK and New Defender Parts.

Old 03-17-2022, 09:45 AM
Rock Crawling

POWERFUL UK is not a saint either.... yes, they are a legit outfit, and the guy is an innovator.
But I do not like a bit when some one is trying to charge VAT on an overseas sale, and claim it to be "admin costs".
That is a price increase for me of 22%, and a profit for him of 22%. Those are money "under the table" for him, and is not honest. I won't participate in that no matter how great youtube videos he has.
I buy other things from UK, quite a bit, and no one I know charges VAT for US customers.

The following 2 users liked this post by Mechano2020:
DefenderSISU (09-20-2023), Jarrodrex (10-29-2022)
Old 03-17-2022, 09:54 AM
Mudding

Couldn't agree more - they have good options for accessories but I purchased some tow hooks that did not come with the necessary 8 bolts to install them - no doubt LR will charge me for these when they get installed.

The VAT part sucks and is super sketchy. 20% 'Admin Costs'?? Not cool.

I also disagree with their DIY videos - there needs to be a disclaimer that makes it clear - if you install anything on your own, you run the risk of voiding your warranty.

Old 03-17-2022, 10:26 AM
Rock Crawling

@therift72 - I have to give it to them, their videos are the best infomercials I have ever seen. The guy is smart, and pretty good technical.
Have you noticed that at the end of a video, or a series, that they always offer that product for sale ? Very clever.
On the VAT here is what they answered to me:"All deliveries outside the UK are subject to zero UK VAT but will incur a 20% overseas surcharge to cover our international insurance and administration costs. (As detailed above, the customer is responsible for paying all local import duties and taxes due in the destination country)."

Our international insurance and administration costs - what a load of crap. Insurance is paid in the shipping costs, and admin costs ??? is called cost of doing business. And by that token, the UK customs are not charged that ? They really think we are stupid here in the US.
So on VAT it is only 20% not 22% - I stand corrected.

The following users liked this post:
Jarrodrex (10-29-2022)
Old 03-17-2022, 10:38 AM
Mudding

His videos are very informative but I'm not about to do any of those jobs and risk voiding my warranty - there's this general vibe of backyard mechanic and thats fine if you're working on a 30 year old rusty 110 Defender - but not a $100K new Defender.

Admin costs for international shipping is a **** take.

VAT in the UK used to be 17.5% but went up to 20% a few years back.

Old 03-17-2022, 10:45 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,505 Likes on 1,016 Posts

Originally Posted by therift72
Couldn't agree more - they have good options for accessories but I purchased some tow hooks that did not come with the necessary 8 bolts to install them - no doubt LR will charge me for these when they get installed.

The VAT part sucks and is super sketchy. 20% 'Admin Costs'?? Not cool.

I also disagree with their DIY videos - there needs to be a disclaimer that makes it clear - if you install anything on your own, you run the risk of voiding your warranty.
I bought my recovery loops from them (Powerful UK) . Excellent service. I think you might be confused. You don't need the 8 bolts as they are already on the car holding the stock recovery plates. You simply remove them and reuse the bolts. Eight beefy bolts. They ship the OEM parts and throw in some replacement clips and OEM or their proprietary trim pieces. Bolts not included or required in either.

Stock plates to receive the on-road recovery loop

The 8 bolts that come with the Defender reused with the OEM recovery loops.

Not sure why any disclaimer is needed. It's Youtube. Watch the videos to learn what you want and be entertained. Or don't watch them and don't stress about following their advice. Have your dealer do all the work.

Even with all these supposed nefarious charges purported above, they were still the best price. From their store to mine in 5 days.

I've followed their videos to install the ladder, roof rack and recovery loops. I don't believe for a second my dealer would have taken the same care as I did. Everything torqued to spec. Nothing broken etc.

The one after factory item that was installed on mine (The OEM bash plate and heavier front recovery point done at port) was not installed correctly. Bolts cross threaded, not torqued to spec, plate loose. Only one data point but it's daft to worry about loss of warranty from doing simple bolt on items like these.

Last edited by GavinC; 03-17-2022 at 10:52 AM.
The following 6 users liked this post by GavinC:
GrouseK9 (03-17-2022), Jjohn581@aol.com (10-30-2022), Jomara (03-17-2022), lightning (06-01-2023), markjlr (03-18-2022), WMN (03-18-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Quick Reply: Avoid Supertweaks at all costs