Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

Super helpful man - thank you so much.

Old 03-17-2022, 10:59 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,505 Likes on 1,016 Posts

Originally Posted by therift72
Super helpful man - thank you so much.
No worries.

Here is my effort at installing the recovery loops. I must have watched the install video a million times going back and forth helping me locate the screws.

Disclaimer: Probably put down a bit of cardboard .

Old 03-17-2022, 11:06 AM
Mudding
Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

My dealer is installing the tow hooks as they are removing both bumpers so their paint shop can spray them gloss black anyway.

Best,

Old 03-17-2022, 01:06 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,279 Likes on 764 Posts

I think it was stated already, but I think everyone should be clear on ANY vehicle they ever buy: if you add anything to your vehicle that is not OEM, you put yourself at warranty risk (understanding that the risk in the US is limited to the components impacted). This is not a Land Rover thing. In almost every Dealership, it is the MANUFACTURER that reimburses them for warranty work. Same with the JLR Dealerships. So there's a little tension here: if they file a warranty claim, they only get paid a flat rate that is typically less than the actual work so they hate it. On the other hand, the costs and parts are covered so they want a good customer experience so they try (at least pre-COVID, usually non-JLR Dealers) to help you get something covered by a warranty. Either way, you take a risk when you start doing the work, when you add anything non-OEM, or certainly follow Simon, BillyBob or anyone else on YouTube. I'm sure there are zillions of disclaimers that should be made on YouTube videos, but no one would watch them if they had to scroll through the current vehicle arbitration agreements first.

RE the VAT vs. Admin costs: the crazy thing about the internet is that it has forced an extreme view towards racing to the bottom line of costs. That's what has corrupted Amazon from a once valued seller to now you can't buy much that is "name brand" or has a semblance of quality. If you don't like the cost of PowerfulUK, you can easily go somewhere else. Personally, they ALWAYS beat the Dealers when I call for pricing, even with shipping and an hour drive away or across the country. Call it shipping, call it VAT, call it admin, call it pricing, call it PITA - I only care about the number at the bottom and it's almost always a value to me. YMMV so if you can find items cheaper, PLEASE post them on here. I've been a Defender junkie and would love to find another source of supply for my addiction.

I agree with all the posts about SuperTweaks. Somewhere around here is a thread on 3rd party / aftermarket sources. That thread should be pinned and I dream of a "Yelp Style" voting of stars for them.

The following 4 users liked this post by GrouseK9:
markjlr (03-18-2022), nashvegas (03-17-2022), starbai (06-01-2023), WMN (03-18-2022)
Old 03-17-2022, 01:23 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,253 Likes on 672 Posts

Originally Posted by Mechano2020
POWERFUL UK is not a saint either.... yes, they are a legit outfit, and the guy is an innovator.
But I do not like a bit when some one is trying to charge VAT on an overseas sale, and claim it to be "admin costs".
That is a price increase for me of 22%, and a profit for him of 22%. Those are money "under the table" for him, and is not honest. I won't participate in that no matter how great youtube videos he has.
I buy other things from UK, quite a bit, and no one I know charges VAT for US customers.
I've placed and received 3 orders from PowerfulUK in the past few months. No VAT was charged, and no fees mentioned above. In fact VAT zero's out on their site when you add in your address.

Side note, I've found them to be absolutely lovely to deal with, I love the videos online "right! right!" , and things come packaged brilliantly and DHL shipping arrives in less than a week to be on the West Coast US. I think they make owning a couple Land Rovers an altogether slightly better experience.

Last edited by nashvegas; 03-17-2022 at 01:30 PM.
The following 7 users liked this post by nashvegas:
GavinC (03-17-2022), GrouseK9 (03-17-2022), Huc (10-29-2022), Jjohn581@aol.com (10-30-2022), markjlr (03-18-2022), Mike_F (06-02-2023), WMN (03-18-2022) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-17-2022, 02:08 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by nashvegas
I've placed and received 3 orders from PowerfulUK in the past few months. No VAT was charged, and no fees mentioned above. In fact VAT zero's out on their site when you add in your address.

Side note, I've found them to be absolutely lovely to deal with, I love the videos online "right! right!" , and things come packaged brilliantly and DHL shipping arrives in less than a week to be on the West Coast US. I think they make owning a couple Land Rovers an altogether slightly better experience.
This is exactly my experience too.

The following 2 users liked this post by GavinC:
GrouseK9 (03-17-2022), Mike_F (06-02-2023)
Old 03-17-2022, 05:12 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by GrouseK9
RE the VAT vs. Admin costs: the crazy thing about the internet is that it has forced an extreme view towards racing to the bottom line of costs. That's what has corrupted Amazon from a once valued seller to now you can't buy much that is "name brand" or has a semblance of quality. If you don't like the cost of PowerfulUK, you can easily go somewhere else. Personally, they ALWAYS beat the Dealers when I call for pricing, even with shipping and an hour drive away or across the country. Call it shipping, call it VAT, call it admin, call it pricing, call it PITA - I only care about the number at the bottom and it's almost always a value to me. YMMV so if you can find items cheaper, PLEASE post them on here. I've been a Defender junkie and would love to find another source of supply for my addiction.
I am afraid you did not get my point - more, I did not explained it correctly.
I am not debating his prices, whatever they may be, but when they try to BS with stuff like that, I would rather pay some one else more, than buy from some one who I think is dishonest, in my view.
What he does is not ethical to say the least. Too old to put up with his crap.
Charging the US customers more ? then build it in price, but don't give me that admin BS.

The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (03-17-2022)
Old 03-17-2022, 05:22 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by nashvegas

You may have a special treatment .... this is just a test order today .... and yes, VAT is charged.

Old 03-17-2022, 06:19 PM
Pro Wrench

I'd say it's a major pain in the **** trying to keep the VAT return in order for the small percentage of non-UK purchases.

I'd say like most retailers in UK and Ireland they use a flat rate of VAT for their sales. It's just not worth their while to jump through all the hoops to withhold the VAT from their return.

When an angry yank emails them about VAT they just want the easiest solution and call it an admin fee. (They're paying the VAT to the UK government as without collating all the BS paperwork they've no option). Call it whatever you want. Old John Bull is getting his slice of the action, not Simon and co.

My guess is most US customers aren't going out of their way to report the duty and/or sales tax in their home state on UK purchases. Maybe nothing is due. Maybe it is. Maybe I do a disservice to the honest posters in the thread who've paid Uncle Sam his bit on their PowerfulUK purchases.

My ethics leave a lot to be desired.

Exporting goods from the UK to the US

The majority of goods exported to the US can be zero-rated for VAT. In other words, you don’t need to charge VAT on the exported goods or the extra charges such as shipping and delivery.

You will, however, need to keep sufficient evidence of the export, such as the invoice, the delivery note, a bank statement proving the purchase or a customs document. This proof should be kept for at least 7 years.

You’ll also need to report the net value of the sale on your VAT return in box 6, which includes the total value of sales and all other outputs excluding VAT.

If your business is on the VAT Flat Rate Scheme, then this export will be included in the turnover amount on which the flat rate is paid. Therefore, if you do several exports to the US, it may be beneficial to not be on the Flat Rate Scheme. I would suggest speaking to your accountant if you think this may affect your business.

Old 03-17-2022, 08:53 PM
Rock Crawling

@GavinC
Quoting with comments :
I'd say it's a major pain in the **** trying to keep the VAT return in order for the small percentage of non-UK purchases.
*** There is software for that
I'd say like most retailers in UK and Ireland they use a flat rate of VAT for their sales. It's just not worth their while to jump through all the hoops to withhold the VAT from their return.
*** None of the UK retailers from which I am buying are charging VAT on exports to the States ( not even Supertweaks !!!)
When an angry yank emails them about VAT they just want the easiest solution and call it an admin fee.
*** Oh goodie ! More dineros for them
(They're paying the VAT to the UK government as without collating all the BS paperwork they've no option). Call it whatever you want. Old John Bull is getting his slice of the action, not Simon and co.
*** Not true: this is called "VAT claw back" - they claim VAT return later form HMRC, for an export, so in short you just paid 20% more to Simon.

My guess is most US customers aren't going out of their way to report the duty and/or sales tax in their home state on UK purchases. Maybe nothing is due. Maybe it is. Maybe I do a disservice to the honest posters in the thread who've paid Uncle Sam his bit on their PowerfulUK purchases.
*** Uncle Sam gets didly-squat from UK on the VAT paid to an UK company. There is no mechanism in place for that. On some items from UK (based on value) I am paying duty, on some, not. Not my call.
My ethics leave a lot to be desired.

Again, I appreciate his entrepreneurial style, just not his BS.

Quick Reply: Avoid Supertweaks at all costs