Sponsored by:

Awning Advice Sought

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2023, 07:47 AM
Winching
Received 574 Likes on 302 Posts
Default Awning Advice Sought

Greetings all -

I'm in the initial phase of looking at an awning for my 110. My goal this year is to do a lot of car camping as preparation for a much longer trip across the states and back (maybe back ) next year. I don't have and won't have a RTT - I have a dog and I'm afraid I'd fall out of it at night getting up to pee.

I'd love your thoughts and experiences when considering an awning and suggestions for specific awnings for the Defender.

I've searched but really have found what I was looking for.

Thanks much

The following users liked this post:
Ludders54 (03-05-2023)
Old 03-04-2023, 10:35 AM
Drifting
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Default James Baroud Falcon

I've seen the James Baroud Falcon 270 awning in some of the Defender camping videos on YouTube (
) and it looks great. This is the awning that I will eventually get. https://www.mainlineoverland.com/pro...baf6439e&_ss=r Not sure if anyone here has any experience with it, but this is on my list of things to add to my 110.

Tim

MattF (03-05-2023)
Old 03-04-2023, 11:01 AM
Received 176 Likes on 115 Posts

Haven't pulled the trigger yet but I'll be ordering the Bush Company 270 XT Awning before summer starts. They also have the 270 XT Max which is larger but requires a bit more support. IMO, it's the toughest awning on the market and doesn't require leg supports.

The following 2 users liked this post by EasternShoreDefender:
Huc (03-04-2023), MattF (03-04-2023)
Old 03-04-2023, 12:45 PM
Huc
Mudding
Received 173 Likes on 74 Posts
Default +1 for Bush Company

A solid SECOND on the Bush Company rig.

I did a deep dive at last years Overland Expo on that unit when the AUS owner was here in Colorado - nothing like first hand data! Rock solid and materially better than the FoxWing 270 awning I've had on my Toyota FJ Cruiser for well over 8 years. While the FoxWing is nice, I loved it, and has served me brilliantly over the years, it REQUIRES poles. Not a down side per se but well worth noting. I have damaged my own FoxWing when NOT following my own stake down rules. My mistake, and I was able to replace the damaged and broken parts, and repaired the tear, after it flipped over my FJ in a micro burst as I was setting it up. Proof one should always follow ones own 'rules' in that context. We also have tapered zip on side panels for the FoxWing which have proven very useful: an accessory worth considering regardless of the awning purchased.

In short I loved the FoxWing (and others of same design) but will upgrade a new 110x awning to the Bush Company setup, wanting the convenience and security of a materially more sturdy rig and no poles required (unless side panels installed). Having done the deep dive on various awning designs for the second time now (2006 and 2022) the cost increase / performance difference is worth it for my circumstances. The Toyota FJ and Foxing fit in my standard height grade. My only concern is will the Bush Company setup on the 110x fit as elegantly - I believe the lower ride height choice when parking more than makes up that difference in rack and mounting height - but I do need to triple check the math before pulling the trigger this season.

In any case, a 270degree awning has been a great piece of kit and well worth the investment in setup/take down time, and functional application in rain or sun, etc.. The increased coverage of a 270 worth it for how we use(d) the kit.

Related: In conversation with the Bush Company AUS owner / originator of his design - their info last year in Colorado was the "smaller" of their 270 awnings was the one to fit the LRD best. I'd double check that fact as they now have more time with the LRD rigs and may have tweaked their mounting system or made other minor revisions.

Originally Posted by EasternShoreDefender
Haven't pulled the trigger yet but I'll be ordering the Bush Company 270 XT Awning before summer starts. They also have the 270 XT Max which is larger but requires a bit more support. IMO, it's the toughest awning on the market and doesn't require leg supports.

The following 2 users liked this post by Huc:
EasternShoreDefender (03-05-2023), MattF (03-04-2023)
Old 03-05-2023, 02:11 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Huc
A solid SECOND on the Bush Company rig.

I did a deep dive at last years Overland Expo on that unit when the AUS owner was here in Colorado - nothing like first hand data! Rock solid and materially better than the FoxWing 270 awning I've had on my Toyota FJ Cruiser for well over 8 years. While the FoxWing is nice, I loved it, and has served me brilliantly over the years, it REQUIRES poles. Not a down side per se but well worth noting. I have damaged my own FoxWing when NOT following my own stake down rules. My mistake, and I was able to replace the damaged and broken parts, and repaired the tear, after it flipped over my FJ in a micro burst as I was setting it up. Proof one should always follow ones own 'rules' in that context. We also have tapered zip on side panels for the FoxWing which have proven very useful: an accessory worth considering regardless of the awning purchased.

In short I loved the FoxWing (and others of same design) but will upgrade a new 110x awning to the Bush Company setup, wanting the convenience and security of a materially more sturdy rig and no poles required (unless side panels installed). Having done the deep dive on various awning designs for the second time now (2006 and 2022) the cost increase / performance difference is worth it for my circumstances. The Toyota FJ and Foxing fit in my standard height grade. My only concern is will the Bush Company setup on the 110x fit as elegantly - I believe the lower ride height choice when parking more than makes up that difference in rack and mounting height - but I do need to triple check the math before pulling the trigger this season.

In any case, a 270degree awning has been a great piece of kit and well worth the investment in setup/take down time, and functional application in rain or sun, etc.. The increased coverage of a 270 worth it for how we use(d) the kit.

Related: In conversation with the Bush Company AUS owner / originator of his design - their info last year in Colorado was the "smaller" of their 270 awnings was the one to fit the LRD best. I'd double check that fact as they now have more time with the LRD rigs and may have tweaked their mounting system or made other minor revisions.
Any thoughts on this one? Seem pretty similar to the Busch Company one. https://www.kinsmenhardware.com/products/awning

Last edited by AAJR; 03-05-2023 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Forgot to add link
Old 03-05-2023, 04:39 AM
Mudding
Received 144 Likes on 62 Posts

I fitted the ARB aluminium case 2.5m awning to mine 2 years ago now, I love it for its versatility. If we’re out and about without our camping pod, we attach the ARB deluxe awning room and have our own built in tent 👌🏼

The following 3 users liked this post by Ludders54:
Huc (03-05-2023), MattF (03-05-2023), WAFOX (03-05-2023)
Old 03-05-2023, 10:13 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 417 Likes on 171 Posts

I have the overland pros wraptor 270 and love it. I would say you can't go wrong with any 270. The best thing about them is that they are freestanding and you can deploy and put it away in 30 seconds. The ease of use will probably increase the number of times you use it. Then, if its windy and you need more stability you can deploy the legs and tie the awning down.

https://overlandpros.com/product/wraptor-2500/

The following 2 users liked this post by inater:
Huc (03-06-2023), MattF (03-05-2023)
Old 03-05-2023, 11:01 AM
Huc
Mudding
Received 173 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by AAJR
Any thoughts on this one? Seem pretty similar to the Busch Company one.
As a + 8 year FoxWing owner - and moving to Busch Co - I can say the Busch Company and FoxWing awnings are materially different. That's reflected in their respective cost and deployment.

The primary difference is in frame design and construction. Busch Co vastly different aluminum frame allows it to be free standing (no poles) and handles wind: the FoxWing requires poles for any deployment, calm or wind with its basic tube frame. There's truly is a vast difference in the frame construction used in those two designs. From a deployment perspective pretty much all 270 awnings will be materially the same. Various awnings design use a range of single tube frame (e.g. FoxWing/BatWing), box frame (e.g. James Baroud/Wraptor/Drifta Stockton), then truss frame type awnings like Busch Co.. Some even extent farther than 270 which can be an added bonus. All do the job well (shade, rain shelter, etc). All have varying metrics on cost, strength, and deployment requirements. I found it really takes a deep dive into nuances to find what's most appropriate for a specific use case.

MattF (03-05-2023)
Old 03-05-2023, 01:22 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Huc
As a + 8 year FoxWing owner - and moving to Busch Co - I can say the Busch Company and FoxWing awnings are materially different. That's reflected in their respective cost and deployment.

The primary difference is in frame design and construction. Busch Co vastly different aluminum frame allows it to be free standing (no poles) and handles wind: the FoxWing requires poles for any deployment, calm or wind with its basic tube frame. There's truly is a vast difference in the frame construction used in those two designs. From a deployment perspective pretty much all 270 awnings will be materially the same. Various awnings design use a range of single tube frame (e.g. FoxWing/BatWing), box frame (e.g. James Baroud/Wraptor/Drifta Stockton), then truss frame type awnings like Busch Co.. Some even extent farther than 270 which can be an added bonus. All do the job well (shade, rain shelter, etc). All have varying metrics on cost, strength, and deployment requirements. I found it really takes a deep dive into nuances to find what's most appropriate for a specific use case.
I apologize, I did not send the link. Here it is and I'll fix my original post. https://www.kinsmenhardware.com/products/awning

Thank you for the feedback on the Busch Co.

Huc (03-06-2023)
Old 03-10-2023, 07:51 AM
Mudding
Received 70 Likes on 44 Posts

I don't see many pics here or at manufacture's sites of D90s. Do most fit the D90, or do you need shorter versions?

Quick Reply: Awning Advice Sought