Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Baby Defender Incoming

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2023, 08:21 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,407 Likes on 710 Posts
Default Baby Defender Sport Incoming

No surprise here. Baby Defender on the way.

Last edited by _Allegedly; 08-08-2023 at 02:24 AM.
The following users liked this post:
inater (08-08-2023)
Old 08-15-2023, 03:19 PM
Mudding
Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

Just me - but I think this is a waste of time and effort for JLR. The Defender needs to be more off road ready from the dealer, and given dealers already have a 2 door 90, isn't this just more of the same? JLR missed their chance to do something productive. Like what? Well, how about 18" rims, more durable tires, front and rear bumpers, and making a Defender with a solid roof? I know, all that is for folks setting out for an adventure, but isn't that the point of buying a Defender? (Instead of the RR). The new Lexus GX has an overtrail trim that pretty much includes all the gripes folks have slung at the New Defender for the past few years. There's nothing wrong with someone buying a V8 with 22" rims, glass roof, low profile tires, and then going to Whole Foods with it. That's pretty much what those options suggests you do, and if that's for you, great. But none of those specs are helpful to the adventure driver, and they don't help someone in an off road or remote driving situation. JLR is pretty much going to lose the adventure market by willful neglect, and looking at the GX, I can surmise Toyota was listening. JLR production of Defenders is already stretched, and I don't get the value of bringing out more models when the existing line up still needs work. There's been a number of posts about what may be a thinner windshield (really bad idea if so), and some tech problems with the suspension. None of this should stop the forward movement of the SUV, but fixing what exists is a good way to build brand loyalty. I think JLR needs to focus. The EV platform is really slated for their widget models: Velar, Evoke, and Disco Sport. None of those are unique, and making them EV instead of ICE will help the overall emissions stats for JLR, so no harm to consumers and benefit to JLR. But the Defender is the complete opposite of a widget, and if JLR did anything to the Defender, it should focus on making what is out there more reliable, dependable, and versatile. It's also possible JLR saw the Grenadier (plus Bronco & Wrangler) and figured "we have zero chance of making a better ICE off road SUV, thus we'll cede ICE off road to Grenadier and others by default, and go up-market to folks thinking a G Wagon is too small for a family cargo SUV." EVs right now seems all about marketing 0-60 speeds, and if you're driving a dirt road, it doesn't matter. Don't break down; don't have a computer malfunction; don't crack a window or glass roof (as that lets rain in), provide an actual roof I can use or stand on - not glass, basic stuff is what sells to me, so EV defender is like 22" rims - it's not for everyone. If Grenadier ever goes upscale with their interior, JLR is going to have even more problems than what's coming their way with the GX.

Originally Posted by _Allegedly
No surprise here. Baby Defender on the way.

The following 2 users liked this post by curb-optional:
Migs8416 (08-15-2023), The Phantom Menace (05-20-2024)
Old 08-15-2023, 05:18 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,407 Likes on 710 Posts

Originally Posted by curb-optional
Just me - but I think this is a waste of time and effort for JLR. The Defender needs to be more off road ready from the dealer, and given dealers already have a 2 door 90, isn't this just more of the same? JLR missed their chance to do something productive. Like what? Well, how about 18" rims, more durable tires, front and rear bumpers, and making a Defender with a solid roof? I know, all that is for folks setting out for an adventure, but isn't that the point of buying a Defender? (Instead of the RR). The new Lexus GX has an overtrail trim that pretty much includes all the gripes folks have slung at the New Defender for the past few years. There's nothing wrong with someone buying a V8 with 22" rims, glass roof, low profile tires, and then going to Whole Foods with it. That's pretty much what those options suggests you do, and if that's for you, great. But none of those specs are helpful to the adventure driver, and they don't help someone in an off road or remote driving situation. JLR is pretty much going to lose the adventure market by willful neglect, and looking at the GX, I can surmise Toyota was listening. JLR production of Defenders is already stretched, and I don't get the value of bringing out more models when the existing line up still needs work. There's been a number of posts about what may be a thinner windshield (really bad idea if so), and some tech problems with the suspension. None of this should stop the forward movement of the SUV, but fixing what exists is a good way to build brand loyalty. I think JLR needs to focus. The EV platform is really slated for their widget models: Velar, Evoke, and Disco Sport. None of those are unique, and making them EV instead of ICE will help the overall emissions stats for JLR, so no harm to consumers and benefit to JLR. But the Defender is the complete opposite of a widget, and if JLR did anything to the Defender, it should focus on making what is out there more reliable, dependable, and versatile. It's also possible JLR saw the Grenadier (plus Bronco & Wrangler) and figured "we have zero chance of making a better ICE off road SUV, thus we'll cede ICE off road to Grenadier and others by default, and go up-market to folks thinking a G Wagon is too small for a family cargo SUV." EVs right now seems all about marketing 0-60 speeds, and if you're driving a dirt road, it doesn't matter. Don't break down; don't have a computer malfunction; don't crack a window or glass roof (as that lets rain in), provide an actual roof I can use or stand on - not glass, basic stuff is what sells to me, so EV defender is like 22" rims - it's not for everyone. If Grenadier ever goes upscale with their interior, JLR is going to have even more problems than what's coming their way with the GX.
Probably almost everyone in this forum would agree with you.

Unfortunately they don't care. If you look at the owner surveys they send out, they're purposeful disconnected from everything you said. Their questions are more carefully crafted than the cars - to prevent any of your actual opinions from getting back to them.
​​​​​​
This is a c-suite yes-fest about hitting a price point using the badge from an already popular vehicle to rehash the idea of a baby suv like that dreadful Disco Sport, the Evoque/F-Pace combo, and the I-Pace. They're sitting there trying to figure out how they can finally find a crossover that doesn't post sales figures in the hundreds of units annually worldwide.

Maybe they can make this work and lots of private school girls will get one for their sweet 16. Those same girls passed on all of JLR's other attempts though so, unless they get Taylor Swift to drive one, it's unlikely.
​​​​​

The following 2 users liked this post by _Allegedly:
curb-optional (08-16-2023), NativeTexan (08-19-2023)
Old 08-15-2023, 05:23 PM
Winching
Received 273 Likes on 174 Posts

Electric only makes it useless as an Overlander and not much good for towing anything except lightweight trailers.

However l suspect the target market is the Urban Driver

DrPizz (08-16-2023)
Old 08-15-2023, 07:21 PM
Mudding
Received 74 Likes on 35 Posts

"The Defender needs to be more off road ready from the dealer, and given dealers already have a 2 door 90, isn't this just more of the same?"

It's not the same. The 90 is a beast so please don't link it as a baby. Just my opinion.

Old 08-16-2023, 02:19 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,166 Likes on 626 Posts

I think you're spot on with this comment above "They're sitting there trying to figure out how they can finally find a crossover that doesn't post sales figures in the hundreds of units annually worldwide"

Old 08-16-2023, 07:08 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 634 Likes on 381 Posts

Well, at least we now know what will replace the Discovery Sport as service loaner vehicles in 2027.

The following 3 users liked this post by PaulLR:
DrPizz (08-16-2023), GavinC (08-16-2023), nashvegas (08-16-2023)
Old 08-16-2023, 05:34 PM
Mudding
Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

I agree the 90 is super capable: i was thinking it was more like a Rubicon with 4 doors or 2 - it's a choice - and they both are great at the job. However, if JLR goes all "baby bronco," well, the baby bronco is not really a bronco- it's an entirely different vehicle. The baby bronco is a small sedan, whereas the bronco is a beast. so I get your point - if the baby defender turns out to be a totally different suv, then yea, i'd rather a 90 because you can do stuff in a 90. the folks buying baby bronco's - I don't know what you do with those. they are tiny, underpowered, and have very little in common (from what I've seen) with the bronco. you may be correct though, maybe JLR will take away all the off road capability, cheapen the parts, and then call it a baby defender, same as the baby bronco did. who knows...

Originally Posted by JMF20
"The Defender needs to be more off road ready from the dealer, and given dealers already have a 2 door 90, isn't this just more of the same?"

It's not the same. The 90 is a beast so please don't link it as a baby. Just my opinion.

JMF20 (08-16-2023)
Old 08-17-2023, 09:09 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 211 Likes on 117 Posts

To me it is pretty obvious the dreadful "baby bronco" is, in fact, a smaller-Ford-Flex-replacement than anything else. They just took advantage of the Bronco-name bandwagon. Hope JLR does not go that same path.

Old 08-17-2023, 10:29 AM
Winching
Received 273 Likes on 174 Posts

The target market for this version of the Defender won't care about that.

They'll buy the vehicle in their thousands. lt's not a bad thing, just a different market.
The Defender name on the front will sell it.

Quick Reply: Baby Defender Incoming