2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad Design: Wipers

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2021, 10:46 AM
Winching
Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts

No problems with the wipers here. I use rainx windshield washer fluids. Not an even whine from the motors.

The following users liked this post:
michaellenzi (02-04-2022)
Old 12-19-2021, 11:13 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 196 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by sblvro
No problems with the wipers here. I use rainx windshield washer fluids. Not an even whine from the motors.
Thanks. I’ll have them check them out. I don’t remember any sound whatsoever when I picked her up, it was only about a month ago I started hearing a faint motor whine. Weird.

Old 02-03-2022, 07:30 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 231 Likes on 141 Posts

Any update on this? I'm having a bad time with the wipers in the snow storms lately, not just that terrible stuttering which deservedly spawned its own thread but intermittently flat out fails to wipe entire swaths in front of my face. What's the consensus for Trico as a replacement set of blades? I see Trico Flex, Ice and Tech variants. Ice makes sense since mine are caked with it tonight but just in case anyone tried it and wasn't satisfied please share your thoughts.

Old 02-03-2022, 07:51 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,154 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Laszlo
While there’s an active thread on this do you guys hear the wiper motor, a faint swipe wiper motor whine when they go back and forth? My son said it sounds like a crow in the distance. Caw-caw. Haha. It’s hard to explain — not sure if it’s normal or not.
Yes, I do hear the wiper motor on mine, which kind of surprised me. An electric motor noise. It does sound like a faint caw-caw-caw of a crow. It almost sounds like the *rear* wiper motor on the rear of my old LR4 which I could hear too in the car.

To the original poster, I took my Defender to Mt Hood where it was insane snow recently. Stock wipers, they're around 6 mos old. I did have the heated windshield on probably most if not all the time, and I thought the wipers did great. I am somewhat not a fan of the squirters being on the wiper arms though, it seems it only squirts when the wipers go up (so it pulses on ... off... on) -- but I had no wiper functionality issues like you're describing. That's odd. But clearly multiple people are having this problem.

Old 02-04-2022, 12:23 AM
FSB
Overlanding
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

It often snows in Moscow in winter, but I don't have any problems with wipers

But I know good aftermarket solution for those of us who have this problem: Bosch Aerotwin A821S

I hope it's available on US market

The following 2 users liked this post by FSB:
Elektrapops (02-04-2022), nashvegas (02-05-2022)
Old 02-04-2022, 05:27 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 231 Likes on 141 Posts

Thanks for the suggestion of Bosch Aerotwin A821S, however after searching around online I'm not sure which model number of that blade set will fit this vehicle. The Bosch web site only shows a match for the rear wiper on this vehicle.

Last edited by Chief65; 02-04-2022 at 09:19 AM.
Old 02-04-2022, 09:28 AM
Overlanding
Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SElllis
I live in Ontario and got my Defender this past summer. Now its December and finding the design is exceptionally poor. The fluid sprayers clog/freeze and the way they spray from the blade arm is useless. Rear wiper is just as bad. Ontario uses a lot of salt on the roads, so we have to constantly clean the film off the windscreen...and between the problem that 2020Defend3r noted above and the fluid-spray problem, I feel leery to drive it in the winter! Do I have faulty wipers? And yes, I am going to the dealer with the problem, but I am wondering if this is a more prevalent design-issue?
This last weekend I had the fluid sprayer freeze up in Asheville NC, where it was 15' F, which really isn't that cold. Was assuming that the factory washer fluid did not have de-icer in it, has anyone tried swapping to different fluid to see if that fixes the issue?

The following users liked this post:
Chief65 (02-04-2022)
Old 02-04-2022, 09:30 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 196 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by nashvegas
Yes, I do hear the wiper motor on mine, which kind of surprised me. An electric motor noise. It does sound like a faint caw-caw-caw of a crow. It almost sounds like the *rear* wiper motor on the rear of my old LR4 which I could hear too in the car.

To the original poster, I took my Defender to Mt Hood where it was insane snow recently. Stock wipers, they're around 6 mos old. I did have the heated windshield on probably most if not all the time, and I thought the wipers did great. I am somewhat not a fan of the squirters being on the wiper arms though, it seems it only squirts when the wipers go up (so it pulses on ... off... on) -- but I had no wiper functionality issues like you're describing. That's odd. But clearly multiple people are having this problem.
Thank you for confirming the front wiper motor sound. It’s a subtle sound and doesn’t bother me at all. And yes, it sounds exactly like the rear wiper motor on the LR4! Had that beast a while back and perfect call out. TY

Old 02-04-2022, 09:33 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 212 Likes on 109 Posts

I wonder how many of those having problems don’t have the cold climate pack which has heated washer jets and of course the heated windshield

Old 02-04-2022, 09:44 AM
FSB
Overlanding
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Chief65
Thanks for the suggestion of Bosch Aerotwin A821S, however after searching around online I'm not sure which model number of that blade set will fit this vehicle. The Bosch web site only shows a match for the rear wiper on this vehicle.
hi, Chief65

this model fits perfect the New Defender

Quick Reply: Bad Design: Wipers