Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery shut off/Camping mode

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2023, 01:18 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 235 Likes on 97 Posts
Default Battery shut off/Camping mode

Has anyone figured out a solution to the low battery warning that happens while camping? I'm sure everyone has seen this while opening and closing doors during an overnight camp-out, accessing stuff inside your Defender, cooking under an awning with the back door open, etc. I know that it will eventually time out with a door left open long enough, but if you open and close doors frequently, the pivi system wakes up and interior lights turn on with a battery drain each time.

Powerful UK has made videos and had wishful thinking about an update to offer "Camping Mode" which could offer an option to disable the Pivi system and prevent battery drainage, but no progress on that yet.

Would it make any sense to install a manual battery shut-off switch or would this cause any issue/harm? Would all the vehicle settings be erased with prolonged lack of battery?

Old 06-10-2023, 02:55 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,407 Likes on 710 Posts

This is really not an answer and the guys voice is ASMR puts me to sleep but it's an interesting setup.

I can tell you from just having my battery replaced because it wouldn't hold a charge, my Pivi took 2 days to return to normal after I got it back. Everything was just a little off. It wouldn't change driving modes one time, the cameras didn't work twice, the backup camera wouldn't turn off once, it hung on the login screen one time... the craziest fault was when I started up yesterday. I moved the steering wheel a little and let it go. With my hands off, the wheel continued slowly for another half turn until I pushed it the other way.

It eventually returned to normal on day 3, today. No idea if that's common or would happen if I removed power again.

Old 06-10-2023, 03:50 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 235 Likes on 97 Posts

Thanks for your input and the video link! I've got to brainstorm on this, since your experience with the battery replacement caused so many problems...

Old 06-10-2023, 10:27 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 397 Likes on 201 Posts

Yes it makes no sense that with all the hype that this is the ultimate off-road vehicle. Tested in Namibia and so on. What do you get: stupid lights that advertise the car when you open the door and red calipers. Camping mode would have been way too hard, so let's give you a 007 logo instead. I am floored by how much effort went to poser related items and really no attention to something that is actually important. I am at 2 batteries now (warranty) in 14 months. This is perhaps why this sign was on one of the roads in Namibia, probably due to the testing Defenders needing constant jump starts:

What they think in Namibia of Land Rovers

The following 2 users liked this post by Dogpilot:
curb-optional (06-28-2023), Ronin Defender (06-12-2023)
Old 06-10-2023, 11:32 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,407 Likes on 710 Posts

Originally Posted by drcoop
Thanks for your input and the video link! I've got to brainstorm on this, since your experience with the battery replacement caused so many problems...
It's back at normal today. I spent the better part of the last two months dealing with little quirks from the constantly low battery. Seemingly should have been right as soon as it got replaced so maybe it's a one-off. Good luck. Solar charger?