2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best offroad Jack that fits under load space?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2022, 11:07 PM
Mudding
Received 113 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Best offroad Jack that fits under load space?

What jack are you boys using?

looking for a hydraulic jack that fits under the loadspace to replace the bottle jack that comes with that car. Will be used off road. Thanks in advance for your wisdom.

anyone tried Pro Eagle? Too big?

Old 01-04-2022, 10:49 AM
Mudding
Received 85 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Pangea123

looking for a hydraulic jack that fits under the loadspace to replace the bottle jack that comes with that car. Will be used off road. Thanks in advance for your wisdom.

Hell, I didn't even get a bottle jack...

Watching this thread for ideas though.

The following users liked this post:
jusmax88 (01-10-2023)
Old 01-04-2022, 01:55 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 417 Likes on 171 Posts

Lol you got a bottle jack with your car? I got a scissor jack with my car. Went and bought a 6 ton bottle jack that I put it on jack plates for changing a tire off road since its the most compact and will work for the off-roading I am doing.

jusmax88 (01-10-2023)
Old 01-04-2022, 01:58 PM
Mudding

I misspoke. Mine is also a scissor jack, and it takes a lot of muscle to life the vehicle! Do you have a link to the bottle jack you purchased inater? what is the jack plate you mention, is that just a stable base to put it on?

Old 01-04-2022, 03:10 PM
Rock Crawling

So I want to start by saying I am not an experienced off-roader and I just did some basic reading before purchasing. Based on what I like to do and the situations I imagine being in, it seems to work well. On a scale from 0-10 for off-road trails id say I won't ever go above a 6 if that helps.

From what I found when looking -
  1. Hi-lift jacks look cool and mount to stuff easily but most people think they are dangerous and don't enjoy using them.
  2. Exhaust jack - seemed like a cool concept but also seems dangerous and not very reliable
  3. Eagle pro - A traditional jack like this seems like the best option but is just big heavy and doesnt fit well anywhere (to me)
  4. Bottle jack - Small and compact and pretty straight forward to use. The only down side is the top of the jack isnt as big as something like the eagle pro or a traditional jack.

Here is the jack I use - Jack
and the jack plates - Plates I got these mainly in case I had to jack on a soft surface or needed extra height.

GrouseK9 (01-04-2022)
Old 01-04-2022, 03:12 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,255 Likes on 747 Posts

YMMV....

#1 Recommendation: SafeJack or Omega 6-ton bottle jack. Limited to mainly lifting one tire at a time and need to provide base in loose ground, but pro is that it is compact:
https://www.amazon.com/Omega-10065B-Black-Hydraulic-Bottle/dp/B002KRUCHC. https://www.amazon.com/Omega-10065B-Black-Hydraulic-Bottle/dp/B002KRUCHC.

An alternative is to get the "whole kit":
https://www.amazon.com/Bottle-Jack-Recovery-Kit-Ton/dp/B00R207SHO/ref=sr_1_3?crid=M3X4G7MB484F&keywords=safe+jack&qid=1641330458&s=hi&sprefix=safe+ja%2Ctools%2C253&sr=1-3 https://www.amazon.com/Bottle-Jack-Recovery-Kit-Ton/dp/B00R207SHO/ref=sr_1_3?crid=M3X4G7MB484F&keywords=safe+jack&qid=1641330458&s=hi&sprefix=safe+ja%2Ctools%2C253&sr=1-3

#2 Recommendation: Hi-lift jack. The classic and standard of all jacks. Also doubles as manual winch. Widely used but be VERY careful as it is often not stable if you are on inclines. If you get this, you need a roof mount, tire mount, or something else, because it is a "hoss". I carried these for years in other vehicles before I went with #1. As Andrew Skurka will tell you when you want to travel light: you don't really need a knife, just a sharp thing when backpacking. This is the full bore knife version of a lift:
Amazon Amazon

#3 Recommendation: ARB jack. Caution, I've never jumped in and actually bought one of these. Better than #2 in many dimensions, but you pay for that in currency. Link:
Amazon Amazon

#4 Recommendation: Pro eagle floor jack. A buddy has one of these, but he trailers everything to Moab. This is a BEAST. Often when off-roading in a group the best bet is to divide & conquer who carries what. I am a curmudgeon and prefer going alone overlanding most of the time, so it takes up too much room for me. If I camped with a trailer, I "might" think about carrying it. But for a crew, it is great:
Amazon Amazon

Good luck.

Last edited by GrouseK9; 01-04-2022 at 03:19 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by GrouseK9:
dj200 (01-04-2022), Finlander (10-19-2022), johnsonmc2000 (01-15-2023)
Old 01-04-2022, 04:36 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by GrouseK9
YMMV....

#1 Recommendation: SafeJack or Omega 6-ton bottle jack. Limited to mainly lifting one tire at a time and need to provide base in loose ground, but pro is that it is compact: https://www.amazon.com/Omega-10065B-Black-Hydraulic-Bottle/dp/B002KRUCHC.

An alternative is to get the "whole kit": https://www.amazon.com/Bottle-Jack-Recovery-Kit-Ton/dp/B00R207SHO/ref=sr_1_3?crid=M3X4G7MB484F&keywords=safe+jack&qi d=1641330458&s=hi&sprefix=safe+ja%2Ctools%2C253&sr =1-3

#2 Recommendation: Hi-lift jack. The classic and standard of all jacks. Also doubles as manual winch. Widely used but be VERY careful as it is often not stable if you are on inclines. If you get this, you need a roof mount, tire mount, or something else, because it is a "hoss". I carried these for years in other vehicles before I went with #1. As Andrew Skurka will tell you when you want to travel light: you don't really need a knife, just a sharp thing when backpacking. This is the full bore knife version of a lift: https://www.amazon.com/Hi-Lift-Jack-...f_=as_li_ss_tl

#3 Recommendation: ARB jack. Caution, I've never jumped in and actually bought one of these. Better than #2 in many dimensions, but you pay for that in currency. Link: https://www.amazon.com/ARB-1060001-H...f_=as_li_ss_tl

#4 Recommendation: Pro eagle floor jack. A buddy has one of these, but he trailers everything to Moab. This is a BEAST. Often when off-roading in a group the best bet is to divide & conquer who carries what. I am a curmudgeon and prefer going alone overlanding most of the time, so it takes up too much room for me. If I camped with a trailer, I "might" think about carrying it. But for a crew, it is great: https://www.amazon.com/Pro-Eagle-Hyd...f_=as_li_ss_tl

Good luck.
Wow never heard of the ARB that seems cool minus the price....

Old 01-06-2022, 12:38 AM
Mudding

As an update, I tried the Husky jack from Home Depot inater recommended.

Even at its max extension, with the vehicle in offroad height, the jack can only get the front tire about 1 inch off the ground! There is approximately 1 foot and 5 inches of suspension travel before the tire leaves terra firma!! Good for offroad travel, bad for jacking.

here is a pic of the jack at max height. I will return this and continue the search

Old 01-06-2022, 10:33 AM
Rock Crawling

Even at its max extension, with the vehicle in offroad height, the jack can only get the front tire about 1 inch off the ground! There is approximately 1 foot and 5 inches of suspension travel before the tire leaves terra firma!! Good for offroad travel, bad for jacking.

here is a pic of the jack at max height. I will return this and continue the search

Hey, so sorry for the bad information here. I admittedly have used this jack on other vehicles but hadn't had to jack up my defender yet and just threw it in there for my trip. I just went out and tried it and even with the four jack plates I use I wasn't able to lift it..... Was thinking with 16 inches of lift on the jack and another 4 from the plates it would work but I stand corrected.... Now I will be looking for a higher extension bottle jack as well ha!

It looks like you can individually buy extenders for the jack or get something like this which I think was recommended above just a little pricey. Think I will try to find an extender since the current bottle jack is useful on other cars. I agree that returning yours is best though. Sorry again!

Old 01-06-2022, 10:47 AM
Drifting
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Jacking

I hope this isn't a stupid question, but don't you want it in on-road height to get the most lift out of the jack? The manual says to engage off-road if you have deployable side steps, but why would you need that otherwise?

On another note, why on God's green Earth didn't they include wheel chocks? I managed to get some L332 ones on eBay, but they don't fit anywhere- I have to keep a small satchel in the back with these and other miscellanea. Someone needs to make an underboot storage organizer for the 90 like PowerfulUK sells for the 110. If I had known it didn't' come with wheel chocks, I would have kept them when I traded my own L322 in on the Defender...

Quick Reply: Best offroad Jack that fits under load space?