2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best roof rack option for fabric roof?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2023, 12:31 PM
Mudding
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I bought a Colorado fairing wind deflector and it's being installed this week, I'm hoping this will significantly help with the wind noise.

The wind noise with a fabric roof and OEM rack is truly unbearable after speeds of 50mph or so -

Old 08-07-2023, 12:34 PM
Mudding

I'm pretty confident that LR was trying to do all the fabric roof owners a favor by just saying it's not compatible. It fits and there is no issues, but the wind noise is as if you were driving with your windows down at any given speed.

Don't expect to have a normal conversation with someone if you are doing 65mph

Old 08-11-2023, 10:22 AM
Mudding

@cofairingco got installed on my fabric roof with OEM roof rack yesterday, and it definitely will solve the noise issue. So relieved.

This is a MUST have accessory if you plan on putting a roof rack on with a fabric roof. - it makes it more quiet than it was even without the roof rack.

Old 08-11-2023, 07:07 PM
Mudding
Received 103 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by KamboMD
@cofairingco got installed on my fabric roof with OEM roof rack yesterday, and it definitely will solve the noise issue. So relieved.

This is a MUST have accessory if you plan on putting a roof rack on with a fabric roof. - it makes it more quiet than it was even without the roof rack.
Nice to know. The Voyager rack has an available full fairing. Standard has just a center one with side space for lights. I want to do lights but I may have to figure out a way to fold them down when not in use behind the fairing so when I am on the highway they are not loud. Will have to see how bad it is first.

Old 08-13-2023, 05:40 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by ORDPA
Nice to know. The Voyager rack has an available full fairing. Standard has just a center one with side space for lights. I want to do lights but I may have to figure out a way to fold them down when not in use behind the fairing so when I am on the highway they are not loud. Will have to see how bad it is first.
my only additional complaint is that now at speeds above 70mph, the plastic support poles/beams in the roof/fabric spot shake violently and sound like they are loose.

I sure like those voyager racks - I'm not sure if its now an aero dynamic issue or what

Old 08-14-2023, 10:24 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by KamboMD
my only additional complaint is that now at speeds above 70mph, the plastic support poles/beams in the roof/fabric spot shake violently and sound like they are loose.

I sure like those voyager racks - I'm not sure if its now an aero dynamic issue or what

that is interesting information. I am going to move forward with the voyager rack unless something else comes up before I buy that I like better. I am hopeful that it will work fine. If not I have a few ideas to fix it. Time will tell.

Old 01-14-2024, 12:47 PM
4wd High
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ORDPA
that is interesting information. I am going to move forward with the voyager rack unless something else comes up before I buy that I like better. I am hopeful that it will work fine. If not I have a few ideas to fix it. Time will tell.

Hello there! I’m debating the purchase of a 110 w/ fabric sun roof and one without. Has this solution worked for you? I’d like to be able to use our Yakima storage container and/or a new ski rack. However, with 3 kiddos in the back, they won’t survive that noise lol.

Old 01-14-2024, 05:09 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Cisco78
Hello there! I’m debating the purchase of a 110 w/ fabric sun roof and one without. Has this solution worked for you? I’d like to be able to use our Yakima storage container and/or a new ski rack. However, with 3 kiddos in the back, they won’t survive that noise lol.
Not to get into too long of a story I actually decided not to purchase the Voyager rack. After a bunch of reading here and on Defender2.net and my personal view of what looks good I went a deferent direction. I was thinking about building my own rack as most of what I was seeing just did not appeal to me and most options left me with concerns around noise or weird movement of fabric roof once installed. With all that said I have decided on the Prospeed Aero Expedition rack. Very low profile with a nice aero front that seals down on roof. Lots of available T track and mounting options. They have their own accessories but I assume any T track accessories should work as well. It will be here the end of the week. I am planning on posting the install and thoughts once it is done.

Here are a few pictures from Prospeed.