Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Beware Land Rover of Pasadena

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2023, 12:12 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Beware Land Rover of Pasadena

I ordered (and placed a deposit on) a 2023.5 Defender 110 X-Dynamic SE in Feb 2023 from Land Rover of Pasadena. My original build date was 4/14/23 and original delivery date was 6/23/23. I previously had a Rivian R1S ordered, but cancelled expecting the Defender in June. I called last week to get an update on the order and was told that my vehicle had come in early and was sold by the sales manager to someone else. I’m not even sure how a mistake like that can happen. Now, I’m stuck between looking for an available MY 23.5 car with similar build (unlikely), ordering a MY 24 car and waiting until Oct / Nov, or giving up and getting my deposit back.

FYI - I have bought several cars from this dealer in past and previously had decent experiences. Salesmen Ruben and Justin both claim to have been out when my car arrived and blame their sales manager for inadvertently selling the car. I dunno if that’s the real story. Perhaps someone came in offering them significant $$ over MSRP.

Just a cautionary tale for those shopping in Southern California.

Last edited by yangpei; 06-06-2023 at 12:22 AM.
Old 06-06-2023, 07:25 AM
Drifting
Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

That truly sucks, sorry to hear.
I would report them to LR headquarters in the US. And I would expect them to at least offer me a $5k discount on the car that I would order to come in Oct (if you go that route).
I love EV's and have many Tesla's since 2015. Ordered the Rivian R1S also but just cancelled my order as I see no need for it. Got to drive one and neither my wife or I were impressed with it at all. We love our Defender much more. Actually got a brand new Range Rover in Nov when they first came out, and sold it after a few weeks since I decided to keep my Defender instead. The RR is amazing and luxurious, the Defender is just a more special driving experience. The RR is more luxurious and I love that and yet get bored of it pretty quickly. Wish I had enough garage room for both.

The following users liked this post:
Eggenburg (06-06-2023)
Old 06-06-2023, 08:53 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 245 Likes on 131 Posts

We are also Rivian refugees Really wanted teh R1T Max Pack, delay dealy, feature strip, dropped features, price games, delays and here we are.

Not a fan of the gas prices & use but very happy with our 110.

Old 06-06-2023, 09:30 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 417 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by yangpei
I ordered (and placed a deposit on) a 2023.5 Defender 110 X-Dynamic SE in Feb 2023 from Land Rover of Pasadena. My original build date was 4/14/23 and original delivery date was 6/23/23. I previously had a Rivian R1S ordered, but cancelled expecting the Defender in June. I called last week to get an update on the order and was told that my vehicle had come in early and was sold by the sales manager to someone else. I’m not even sure how a mistake like that can happen. Now, I’m stuck between looking for an available MY 23.5 car with similar build (unlikely), ordering a MY 24 car and waiting until Oct / Nov, or giving up and getting my deposit back.

FYI - I have bought several cars from this dealer in past and previously had decent experiences. Salesmen Ruben and Justin both claim to have been out when my car arrived and blame their sales manager for inadvertently selling the car. I dunno if that’s the real story. Perhaps someone came in offering them significant $$ over MSRP.

And all they said was sorry to you? I would be asking to talk to the GM if I had placed an order and had a deposit and didn't get my car.....

The following 2 users liked this post by inater:
ficklma1 (06-06-2023), WAFOX (06-06-2023)
Old 06-06-2023, 10:13 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by inater
And all they said was sorry to you? I would be asking to talk to the GM if I had placed an order and had a deposit and didn't get my car.....
I've been texting back and forth with the salespersons. I probably need to go in to speak with sales manager / GM.

The following users liked this post:
lightning (06-07-2023)
Old 06-06-2023, 10:15 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Tlandrover
That truly sucks, sorry to hear.
I would report them to LR headquarters in the US. And I would expect them to at least offer me a $5k discount on the car that I would order to come in Oct (if you go that route).
I love EV's and have many Tesla's since 2015. Ordered the Rivian R1S also but just cancelled my order as I see no need for it. Got to drive one and neither my wife or I were impressed with it at all. We love our Defender much more. Actually got a brand new Range Rover in Nov when they first came out, and sold it after a few weeks since I decided to keep my Defender instead. The RR is amazing and luxurious, the Defender is just a more special driving experience. The RR is more luxurious and I love that and yet get bored of it pretty quickly. Wish I had enough garage room for both.
A hypothetical build on a MY24 vehicle with identical build (minus surround sound) is already $1600 more than the MY23.5 build. Plus, I'd have to wait an additional 4-5 months

Old 06-06-2023, 11:28 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

Plus the features you may not be able to get with a 24.
I would complain to everyone who will listen.
The GM, the owner, LR anyone.
Unless they give you a significant discount I wouldn't give that dealership another dime.

That manager who sold your truck KNEW it was a customer order.
Trust me.

The following 2 users liked this post by evomind:
Mike_F (06-07-2023), SoCalDef (06-10-2023)
Old 06-06-2023, 11:52 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by evomind
Plus the features you may not be able to get with a 24.
I would complain to everyone who will listen.
The GM, the owner, LR anyone.
Unless they give you a significant discount I wouldn't give that dealership another dime.

That manager who sold your truck KNEW it was a customer order.
Trust me.
Thanks for the input / advice.
I have emailed the dealership, Land Rover USA, and posted on the Land Rover Facebook page.
I'm going to go in to the dealership this week and speak with whomever will talk with me.

Old 06-06-2023, 02:46 PM
Overlanding
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by yangpei

They're taking ordered vehicles and selling them with a huge markup. The same thing happened to my neighbor who ordered a Ranger Rover Autobiography edition from a Maryland dealer. They ordered it January of 2022 ....had to reorder and just got delivery.

Last edited by SAYenshaw; 06-06-2023 at 02:49 PM.
Old 06-06-2023, 02:54 PM
Drifting
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Maybe Land Rover USA can help you connect the VIN # with your order number, and tell you where (and when) the vehicle is. That number got associated with your order number once it was built. Maybe with it, the dealer may see the error of his ways.

Reminds me of the movie “Taken”

Last edited by sarj; 06-06-2023 at 03:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Beware Land Rover of Pasadena