Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Beware Land Rover of Pasadena

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2023, 09:39 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by sarj
i was wondering the same thing w/ the change of options with the model year change. I'd be looking at the V8 if I was forced into that.

The ship we expected to see both our vehicles on docked in Long Beach this morning. The Graceful Leader; CXVT7
I had them check the computer - my vehicle ended up coming in a month earlier 5/20/23, so it must've caught an earlier ship.
Anyways, congrats and enjoy your new Defender!

Old 09-01-2023, 12:03 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Myron
OP, presumably you had a buy/sell contract with the dealer? Or was it more of a handshake with a good faith deposit?
Even with a handshake-and especially a deposit-this is an affirmed oral contract which is recognized by the courts. Especially in a State, like California.

Last edited by Wasatch72; 09-01-2023 at 12:07 PM.
Old 09-01-2023, 12:18 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by yangpei
I ordered (and placed a deposit on) a 2023.5 Defender 110 X-Dynamic SE in Feb 2023 from Land Rover of Pasadena. My original build date was 4/14/23 and original delivery date was 6/23/23. I previously had a Rivian R1S ordered, but cancelled expecting the Defender in June. I called last week to get an update on the order and was told that my vehicle had come in early and was sold by the sales manager to someone else. I’m not even sure how a mistake like that can happen. Now, I’m stuck between looking for an available MY 23.5 car with similar build (unlikely), ordering a MY 24 car and waiting until Oct / Nov, or giving up and getting my deposit back.

FYI - I have bought several cars from this dealer in past and previously had decent experiences. Salesmen Ruben and Justin both claim to have been out when my car arrived and blame their sales manager for inadvertently selling the car. I dunno if that’s the real story. Perhaps someone came in offering them significant $$ over MSRP.

Just a cautionary tale for those shopping in Southern California.
Very sorry to hear of your “loss.” A total BS move by the dealership.

I literally was about to pull the plug on a 110 from Land Rover Pasadena this morning but decided to research the dealership before doing so (the prices are more “reasonable” than in SLC, where I live for some reason, perhaps the snow factor) and came across the this forum. So, as not to reward their bad business practices-I’m not going to buy from them.

Quick question for you as a former Rivian owner (and anyone else in here). The R1T is what I’ve been looking at-I’m surrounded by them where I live (along with Defenders). All the Rivian owners I have spoken to love them and all recommend getting one. What was the reason(s) you got rid of your R1T, if you don’t mind me asking?

Old 09-01-2023, 03:11 PM
Overlanding
Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts

Just wanted to add some other data points, both good and bad.

The good:
  • Some of the sales managers/associates are fairly nice. Some aren't pushy at all.
  • They don't have a markup on their Defenders. But do on other vehicles (RR and RR Sport)
  • Big-ish selection of builds with variety of options.
  • Was able to discount dealer-added extras.
The bad:
  • Although they don't have a markup, they do have a few 'extras' already installed. Mud flaps etc.
  • Related to the above, all cars come with a Reviver digital license plate. They charge $1800 for it. Even though new + install is only $580ish. On top of that, Reviver has a $20 a month subscription.
  • I did overhear another sales manager being a little scummy to another customer in doing a trade-in + sell.
So sorry to hear about your experience.

Old 09-01-2023, 10:45 PM
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They can't be worse than Land Rover Los Angeles or Bellevue Land Rover. lol

Old 09-01-2023, 11:47 PM
Overlanding
Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Parkstr8
They can't be worse than Land Rover Los Angeles or Bellevue Land Rover. lol
True, LR Los Angeles was asking $100k over for the Carpathian Edition last year.

Old 09-02-2023, 08:27 AM
Drifting
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Shark
True, LR Los Angeles was asking $100k over for the Carpathian Edition last year.

Seriously? I enjoy the Defender but its a car…it depreciates, it wears out and eventually it gets crushed. There wont be any modern Defenders at Pebble Beach.

Old 09-02-2023, 11:35 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Wasatch72

Quick question for you as a former Rivian owner (and anyone else in here). The R1T is what I’ve been looking at-I’m surrounded by them where I live (along with Defenders). All the Rivian owners I have spoken to love them and all recommend getting one. What was the reason(s) you got rid of your R1T, if you don’t mind me asking?

I have a Rivian R1S on order (currently slated for Jan / Feb 2024) that I will likely cancel once the Defender arrives. I may still keep the Rivian in addition to the Defender (haven't decided yet). My only reservation with the R1S being our only SUV is that I'm not comfortable adding the complexity / logistical issues with charging enroute to ski destinations during busy holiday weekends. I'm sure as the charging networks improve (in addition to the ability to use Tesla charging stations), the situation will improve. When I did email Rivian about possibly cancelling my order, they immediately called me with several local available vehicles that I could choose from if I wanted to take immediate delivery

The following users liked this post:
Wasatch72 (09-02-2023)
Old 09-02-2023, 12:27 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by yangpei
I have a Rivian R1S on order (currently slated for Jan / Feb 2024) that I will likely cancel once the Defender arrives. I may still keep the Rivian in addition to the Defender (haven't decided yet). My only reservation with the R1S being our only SUV is that I'm not comfortable adding the complexity / logistical issues with charging enroute to ski destinations during busy holiday weekends. I'm sure as the charging networks improve (in addition to the ability to use Tesla charging stations), the situation will improve. When I did email Rivian about possibly cancelling my order, they immediately called me with several local available vehicles that I could choose from if I wanted to take immediate delivery
Thanks for the response.

Personally, I love the look of the Defender more so than the Rivians (which look great). That being said, I’m only sixteen miles away from the first lift to snowboard… so, ideally I should wait for the P400e. I spoke to one of the LR dealerships here yesterday and the guy told me that are going to start employee classes on them soon, as they are supposedly going to arrive in North America.

Old 09-04-2023, 01:46 PM
v35
Three Wheeling
Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

Just to add to this- I only had a positive first-time experience with Land Rover Pasadena.

I came to Sam Martinez back in December 2022 to place a custom order for a Defender. We went through the configurator together and built out my Defender. He was great in giving me updates throughout my 7-month wait all the way up till the car landed at the dealership.

Jordan Michael took over on delivery day and he was super friendly and helpful in making sure we closed the deal. The Finance department helped me out with beating my personal bank’s own rates which made things even easier with financing my Defender. No one was pushy at all and everyone was super helpful in making things go as smoothly as possible!

Quick Reply: Beware Land Rover of Pasadena