Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To Box or not to Box

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2022, 08:20 AM
Drifting
Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by cardude
I ordered a gloss black from Vulkan for 2 or 3 hundred and use it to store dog gear (water, leashes and dirty stuff). had no quality issues with it so far - it's plastic but quite heavy and sturdy. i would put it on again.
Does it come with all of the parts needed to install it or is that separate? It isn't really clear on their site.

Old 07-12-2022, 09:48 AM
Winching
Received 161 Likes on 114 Posts

i have heard the wind noise that is created isn’t noticeable as it sits further back from all passengers. Same for the ladder. I had the ladder before and could not hear any increase in noise

my defender does not have a ladder and find stepping on the tire just as easy as using the ladder.

i would say the box is more cosmetic. i would stock it with some whiskey and glasses

Old 07-12-2022, 11:08 AM
Mudding
Received 167 Likes on 98 Posts

I wasn't impressed with the quality of the box when it was on the demo model I drove before I ordered my Defender. The dealer hadn't installed it correctly so the top flew open on the highway.

The one use case I could think of where it makes good sense is to store fuel for camp stoves and such on camping trips. On balance, though, the flimsy lock means that it will be broken into any time you park in a city and that's a headache I didn't need.

I passed on it, though I think it looks cool and distinctive.

Old 07-12-2022, 12:23 PM
Drifting
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Defend1
Does it come with all of the parts needed to install it or is that separate? It isn't really clear on their site.
It included everything, including an installation manual. They claim they upgraded some screws as OEM tends to rust and the ones they include isn't, though I cannot comment on that. I got the dealer installed both the box and the ladder (which I also got from Vulkan) for warranty reasons. I don't have them for a very long time but so far I have no issues with them. Wind noise is not noticeable to me and it doesn't bother me from a visibility perspective either.

Old 07-12-2022, 09:15 PM
Vin
Mudding
Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts

I recently purchased a new trim piece so I can remove the box and not have two holes in the window trim.

My use case for the box is to carry emergency items (fire extinguisher, road flares, first aid kit, tow rope) when the cargo area is loaded.

Old 07-13-2022, 08:09 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,255 Likes on 747 Posts

@Defend1 - If you are going to do it, I would highly recommend watching the two PowerfulUk videos. The one on the install and the other on finding the best drill bit for the job. There is a bit of trim under the window that you need to make two (maybe three?) holes into. They will look TERRIBLE, but don't worry. Even the best ones will be holes in the trim and it will all be covered by the box. I suggest, however, that if you ever suspect that you will take it off - go ahead and also order that trim. It's <$100. Then drill away on the one you just ordered. If you ever take it off, put back on the trim that you saved.

Here's the GearBox video to install:

And here's the Drill bit comparison:

Oh, and the Right trim part # is LR147358 and the Left is LR147359. CAUTION: Confirm before you order...Worked for me on my 2022 Defender 110, X-Dyn HSE. Ymmv.

Last edited by GrouseK9; 07-13-2022 at 08:21 AM.
Old 07-30-2022, 04:14 PM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cardude
It included everything, including an installation manual. They claim they upgraded some screws as OEM tends to rust and the ones they include isn't, though I cannot comment on that. I got the dealer installed both the box and the ladder (which I also got from Vulkan) for warranty reasons. I don't have them for a very long time but so far I have no issues with them. Wind noise is not noticeable to me and it doesn't bother me from a visibility perspective either.
I am seriously considering order the black ladder and carpathian grey gear box from Vulkan. Good to know there is fellow members here are satisfied with them.

Thanks.

Old 07-30-2022, 06:35 PM
Mudding
Received 75 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by zhihong.james
I am seriously considering order the black ladder and carpathian grey gear box from Vulkan. Good to know there is fellow members here are satisfied with them.

Thanks.
Step 1: You cut a hole in the box…

Just kidding. I also really like it and think it is quite innovative!!

The following users liked this post:
DrPizz (08-25-2022)
Old 07-30-2022, 06:42 PM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jrunr619
Step 1: You cut a hole in the box…

Just kidding. I also really like it and think it is quite innovative!!
In term of the quality and fitment, is the Vulkan ladder as good as or better than the OEM one?

Old 07-31-2022, 07:46 AM
Mudding
Received 127 Likes on 71 Posts

We have the box and love it. It's not only very distinctive to the car, but is also practical. All of our recovery gear stays in the box (tow straps, shackles, ****** block, and gloves) In our previous rover we had a duffle with our recovery gear that took up space in the back and was sometimes buried or difficult to access when needed. The box is always on the side and easy to access from the outside. If you don't have a winch nor do much off road driving this may not be a helpful reply, but even in that case I still love the look.

The following users liked this post:
ficklma1 (10-20-2022)

Quick Reply: To Box or not to Box