Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brand New 2023 Defender S 110 Issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2022 | 10:33 AM
|
Three Wheeling
Default Brand New 2023 Defender S 110 Issues

The specs on my order sheet: 23.5MY Defender 110 S 300PS AC663/351 CA (for those who care.) Ordered in August 2022, took delivery mid December. Zero complaints about the driving experience, which I really really like. Now, the quirks:

1. Sound. It did not take long for the sound system issues to surface. I'd say roughly every third time I use the vehicle it has a mixed bag of problems, sometimes a tinny "AM radio through tiny speaker" only sound, sometimes a channel R or L is missing, sometimes the back speakers don't work pr barely work. And you can tell the sound is somehow off during these intervals when it is sort of working, like the frequency responses are not there. It does usually work after I turn it off (a "shutdown") and give it some time, but won't fix with a "restart" (turn off and then back on again). So since it is brand new, any thoughts? I wonder if the OS just needs to be completely reinstalled at the dealer. I note that the PIVI restart/reboot I found referenced here and there while researching this, by pressing down of the sound button until the screen goes blank and rests (I guess) doesn't seem to work at all - nothing happens - and anyway that fix seems limited to the "PIVI Pro" which I don't have. This is very frustrating because I really like to listen to music while I drive, an important feature. Daughter says "Gee, Mom's BMW sounds awesome, this is not right" while checking out a Turnstile song on the way back from PHL last evening - she was right, the back speakers were tinny sounding and "off".

2. Creaks. There is a "crinkly creak" noise coming from around the driver's side window, when you hit bumps, especially at higher speeds. You can replicate it by pressing down on the soft surfaces above and around the window. Just annoying and odd to me. any ideas?

Your sage advice, suggestions and commiserations welcome.

Old 12-30-2022 | 12:15 PM
Pro Wrench

I'd say dealer visit for both to let them figure it out.

PS - you have Pivi Pro, everyone does in the US market. There is no "Pivi" on a Defender here, it's all Pivi Pro.

One tip that may help re: #1. To get it to reboot, car has to be stopped / probably in park. Won't work while in motion or driving. I think it's around 15-20 seconds to hold until screen goes black.

Old 12-30-2022 | 01:06 PM
|
Three Wheeling

Thanks!

Old 12-30-2022 | 01:47 PM
4wd High

I actually have the same issue re: audio system, but it's probably every 10-15th time - and it's always the audio only comes out of the passenger side speaker(s) (not sure how many are actually active, I've never checked). It's ridiculously annoying. I had the dealer look into it and all they did was update the software, which didn't fix anything - of course they couldn't recreate the issue b/c it doesn't happen frequently enough. I will have to take it back at some point but have been hoping someone on here figures it out Will definitely keep an eye on this thread!

The only other issue I've had with my 23 Defender is the driver's seat occasionally makes noises as if it's not quite clicked into it's spot. I will slide it forward and lock back into place and the noise goes away. I haven't noticed that one in a while so perhaps it has worked itself out, but thought I would mention it.

Old 12-30-2022 | 07:59 PM
|
Three Wheeling

Thanks! My sound issue is more frequent, but still annoying. I have a feeling the dealer won't be able to fix it. So my next thought is can this thing be replaced?

Old 12-30-2022 | 08:20 PM
Drifting

My 2023 110 has frequently had this constant high pitched frequency sound that is fairly regularly. I imagine it would be like 25% of what a dog whistle would be if you could hear it. You can notice it most when the radio/sound is off completely. My wife borrowed my car and said it drove her crazy. I honestly wish she hadn't brought it to my attention as now I notice almost every time I drive.

The following users liked this post:
Niknak13 (12-22-2023)
Old 12-30-2022 | 09:18 PM
Overlanding

This is interesting.. My 23 P300 Audio system seems to be buggy from time to time as well. Besides being an overall disappointment in the sound quality department the sound is quite off like it is only coming from a few speakers at times. I reset the PIVI and it has not come back but I have not driven the car much recently. Annoying to say the least and I am not one to expect perfect.. Technology can always be a bit quirky but doesn't seem like a normal quirk per se. I also know the dealer will look at you like you have 3 heads and say no problem found..

Old 12-31-2022 | 08:35 AM
Mudding

I had a similar but different problem. My sound system went completely dead, I thought I blew it out. I went to the dealer and they were completely dumbfounded, I showed them and they had no idea what to do, they made me an appointment about 4 months out, sometime in March.
I reluctantly did a system reset, assuming all my settings would be lost, BTW, i was expecting the worst so i did while parked in my garage.
Everything went well and I didn't lose all my settings, I think I had to redo a couple of items. All still working well.

The following users liked this post:
ficklma1 (01-02-2023)
Old 01-04-2023 | 09:26 AM
|
Three Wheeling

So I did the reboot of my PIVI Pro system (with vehicle in park, press sound control until screen goes dark) and while I am probably jinxing myself the sound system has not had a problem since. Proceeding with caution but so far so good.

Old 01-04-2023 | 10:02 AM
4wd High

Interesting - I thought you had said you tried this and it didn't work (also that you didn't have Pivi Pro)? It ended up working (so far) after all?

Quick Reply: Brand New 2023 Defender S 110 Issues