2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bullbar install question - is lower grille visible ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2023, 11:49 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,252 Likes on 672 Posts
Default Bullbar install question - is lower grille visible ?

Anyone with an AUS bullbar installed be able to snap a couple of pics of the area between the bull bar and the front under shield?

I am wondering if the remaining sliver of the "lower grille LRN129440" is visible at all or if it's hidden. -- "X" instructions say I need to buy a new one as the X lower grille is different, and the new part is primed grey. I''m wanting to determine if it needs to be painted black or not. The portion that my finger is pointing to.

Basically, you cut most of it off, then stick rubber trim on it, but I'm wondering if there's a cm or two of it actually still visible below the bullbar.
If so it may be a rattle can job. IDK.

Some pics

The part my finger is pointing to remains, this is what I wonder is visible or no

The part in question

Old 01-20-2023, 05:18 AM
Winching
Received 450 Likes on 213 Posts

I would keep it there complete, better protection .
Found this one, modified Aussie bullbar,. They cut the lower horizontal bar away and rounded up .
Looking great I think

Old 01-20-2023, 09:41 AM
Pro Wrench

Ohh goody. Thanks this is indeed an interesting image. I've seen this one before (2020?) -- here -- Article. I think the story is that it was a render (not an actual truck photo) by New Defender Mods or JLR before the AUS bulbar actually hit the market. I remember seeing it and thinking it is so cool. You'll notice the couple differences to the production bullbars...

1) the top part is lower so you can still read DEFENDER on the hood. The actual JLR Aussie bullbar product blocks it entirely from a front view. I like this lots. This probably was changed after crash testing (?)
2) the difference you picked up on-- ie the lower grille is still intact
3) no mesh in front of the winch ie leaving clutch access (which I like and am planning on mocking up some "quick on/quick off" for that mesh.
4) deletion of the small cross bar at the bottom of the bullbar
5) addition of the aux radiator pieces on bottom left and right of bullbar (which I actually think is awesome and the JLR product should have!)

For comparison here is that render and the actual bullbar so folks can compare. Cool huh?

What I believe is the "render" before anyone had seen the actual JLR bullbar

The JLR product

The following users liked this post:
GavinC (01-20-2023)
Old 01-20-2023, 11:37 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,279 Likes on 764 Posts

Hope these help. Only pics I have on my laptop. If you want something closer or different angle, let me know and I'll post them when I get home - but won't be until Monday. Or, if you REALLY need them, let me know and I'll have my son go out and take the pics. Enjoy.

Old 01-20-2023, 01:38 PM
Pro Wrench

@GrouseK9 I could stare at your truck all day... so good

I'll hit you next week for pics, I am far from that step of my install now (actually I'm just screwing around taking the front bumper off 2 days here now)-- looking for a pic from up underneath, showing the underside of bull bar in the area between the front under shield and the bull bar (if that makes sense).

GrouseK9 (01-20-2023)
Old 01-20-2023, 02:15 PM
Pro Wrench

Will do! I'll have them for you Monday.

Old 01-20-2023, 02:41 PM
Pro Wrench

Pics are at full size so hopefully you can zoom in and the Admins don't kick me out! My son took the photos, so it's on him. I hired it done from a very good/reliable 3rd party in San Antonio. I don't see that plastic so maybe they jettisoned it. It appears that there's a nice edging trim around the opening so either they added that or it was part of the "kit". I suspect the later as I don't think they short cut anything.

Regardless, if you are pondering using a rattle can on anything down there, I'd say "Go for it!". It's hard to see down there and you really have to work to see it unless you are far in front. The perfect combination for a cheap paint application!

The following 2 users liked this post by GrouseK9:
Craig_RRS2013 (01-22-2023), GavinC (01-20-2023)
Old 01-20-2023, 06:22 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,503 Likes on 1,014 Posts

A NSFW tag on that Defender-winch-roobar ****

Love it. Best looking/practical way to mount the winch I reckon.

I know having it fully exposed is more practical from a use stand point.

Does it see much @GrouseK9 ?

Old 01-20-2023, 06:36 PM
Pro Wrench

"Much use"? I'm sad to say, no - the freaking beast just doesn't get stuck! I don't wheel as much as I used to, but this is easily 5x the capability of any other 4x4 I've had. Its ability and my learned lessons (ok, less recklessness) means I've only used it practicing, testing or non-vehicle extrication uses. So no, sadly it doesn't. I keep going off-road hoping to pull itself out. Maybe I need more snow! In Texas, that's hard...

GavinC (01-20-2023)
Old 01-20-2023, 07:08 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,503 Likes on 1,014 Posts

Originally Posted by GrouseK9
"Much use"? I'm sad to say, no - the freaking beast just doesn't get stuck! I don't wheel as much as I used to, but this is easily 5x the capability of any other 4x4 I've had. Its ability and my learned lessons (ok, less recklessness) means I've only used it practicing, testing or non-vehicle extrication uses. So no, sadly it doesn't. I keep going off-road hoping to pull itself out. Maybe I need more snow! In Texas, that's hard...
Great to have it and not need it than the other way round. I'd love to get that setup one day but too $picy a meatball for me right now.

GrouseK9 (01-20-2023)

Quick Reply: Bullbar install question - is lower grille visible ?