Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bumper and Side damage

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2021, 04:17 PM
Drifting
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Bumper and Side damage

So... we were on a road trip and I had a lot of stuff piled on in the back that was blocking my view and I banged into a parking garage pillar.
This is how the back of my car looks like. My question is, should I be ok with any body shop that is recommended by my insurance company in the US or should I go to a specialized body shop for these cars?
Thank you for your suggestions.
Saravs

Old 07-04-2021, 07:18 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,407 Likes on 710 Posts

Sorry to hear that. It looks like you may be able to get a replacement panel which would be better than having that one banged out. Good luck!

https://parts.landroverpalmbeach.com...BoCm9oQAvD_BwE

Last edited by _Allegedly; 07-10-2023 at 05:47 PM.
Old 07-04-2021, 07:24 PM
Winching
Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts

Doesn't it have an alert or warning of some sort? Like emergency braking? My 2015 Escalade has one and it saved me a lot of times.

Old 07-04-2021, 08:38 PM
Drifting

Well it does have a warning and all sorts of cameras, I was just not fully attentive. To be honest the warnings come on all the time and it’s easy to block them out.
Thanks

Old 07-04-2021, 11:20 PM
Winching
Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts

There should be autonomous emergency braking too? The car will brake for you whether you like it or not.

Old 07-05-2021, 06:38 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by sblvro
There should be autonomous emergency braking too? The car will brake for you whether you like it or not.
not sure why that did not kick in. I was probably backing up too slow? Could not have been more than 2/3 miles an hour speed.
saravs

Old 07-05-2021, 08:08 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 390 Likes on 317 Posts

The rear panel and the bumper will both have to be replaced. No need to entertain the idea of anyone "popping" or "banging" that out. If anyone tells you they can and it will look brand new they are lying. The other problem you will have is the paint. That panel will likely come unpainted and it will be painted to match. If you want it to look as best as NEW, you will need to have a legitimate shop do it. The good news is that your Defender is new and the paint has not had time to fade over years. Now is a good time to have something like this happen because the new paint is available and will match much better.

Old 07-05-2021, 08:31 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,407 Likes on 710 Posts

Originally Posted by stillruns
The rear panel and the bumper will both have to be replaced. No need to entertain the idea of anyone "popping" or "banging" that out. If anyone tells you they can and it will look brand new they are lying. The other problem you will have is the paint. That panel will likely come unpainted and it will be painted to match. If you want it to look as best as NEW, you will need to have a legitimate shop do it. The good news is that your Defender is new and the paint has not had time to fade over years. Now is a good time to have something like this happen because the new paint is available and will match much better.
​​​​​​100% agree that a new panel is the way to go in this case.

This guy, however, has done 2 jobs for me already and he's set up next week to take about 80 hail dents out of my wife's F-Pace.

The videos looked good so I gave it a shot the first time on a 3 year old car with a deep 8" dent in the door. After 3 hours of work in my driveway, I was stunned at the results. Totally invisible no matter how hard you look with bright lights at any angle and the car is high-gloss black.

Old 07-05-2021, 08:50 AM
Drifting

Thank you for your input. Just curious, if changing the panels is something highly technical for a specialized body shop or any body shop recommended by my insurance can pop the old ones out and put the new ones in?
saravs

Old 07-05-2021, 09:26 AM
Drifting

Thank you for your input. Just curious, if changing the panels is something highly technical for a specialized body shop or any body shop recommended by my insurance can pop the old ones out and put the new ones in?
saravs

Quick Reply: Bumper and Side damage