Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buy 23.5 or wait ??? Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2023, 09:10 AM
Mudding
Received 51 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Tlandrover
In my 1 year with the Defender X and now my V8, I have loved and had no issues with the digital dash or anything else for that matter. I do drive through tunnels and have not had that dimming or unreadability that someone posted about. They have both been amazing.
Why don't you look at slightly used, seems to be many for sale on autotrader.
Thx for the info … However, the one I placed a dp on is scheduled at the last week of this new month. Closest to my idea build & soonest I could find , it does not have the digital display. As far as used , prices are extremely close to buying new.

Old 06-01-2023, 10:50 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 92 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by dshark1
Thx for the info … However, the one I placed a dp on is scheduled at the last week of this new month. Closest to my idea build & soonest I could find , it does not have the digital display. As far as used , prices are extremely close to buying new.
I was where you were on this. The digital display has been coming on more and more even 23.5s But for me I couldn't find one that had it AND adaptive cruise control. And it came down to choosing between adaptive or the digital display. For what its worth here are my two cents after sitting in both and playing with both.

1) I didn't live with it so I cannot comment on the dash dimming comments above.
2) While the full digital is undoubtably cooler/more high tech. I think there is something to be said about the silver/brushed aluminum look of the 'analog' dials. They give it a retro vibe and frankly I dig the look more than digital gauges from a purely aesthetic point of view. Point is I am with you on wanting the tech (esp since theres no discount for having the smaller display) but you really can't go wrong with either.
3) As far as functionality, I didn't notice that the full screen display really offered more functionality than the analog, except for the ability to configure multiple things at once on the screen. That said what you could get on the center screen of the analog display is the same content (albeit not simultaneously) as is on the full screen (as far as I could tell, spending 10-15 min in a defender with the full gauges).
4) The coolest looking feature for me of the full digital is the full map view, where the whole gauge cluster is taken over by the navi screen maps. The thing here is that it only works if you're using the built in navigation from JLR. I dont know about you but I never use it. I'm always using android auto, or my wife uses apple car play for navigation through Waze. In this case, the full map w/navigation cannot be used for turn by turn directions. You could arguably still view the map, but would still use the center screen for turn by turn directions.

In the end in a perfect world I would have loved to have had the full gauges. But the bottom line (my 2 cents anyway) is that you're not really giving anything up other than the cool factor of the full display. And what you lose in that regard, you gain with the retro feel of the half analog half digital display. Long story short, dont let it the lack of the feature keep ya from a particular unit.

The loss of the nicer stereo is a MUCH bigger, noticeable downgrade if the model you're looking at would indeed loose the meridian surround in 2024, but has it in 2023.5.

The following users liked this post:
dshark1 (06-01-2023)
Old 06-01-2023, 11:14 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,253 Likes on 672 Posts

Stereo is critical path looking at the 2024 model breakdowns, in my humble opinion.

"Fully kitted out 2024 Defender 110 X?"
"Yes sir, please, I'll take one sir!"
"That will be $103K"
"OK I will send the wire transfer"
"Enjoy your base stereo, sucker!"

Absolutely not. This makes me think the value equation has gotten totally out of whack, I wouldn't pull the trigger on a 2024.

Price has gone up, content has gone down.

Old 06-01-2023, 01:17 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by nashvegas
Stereo is critical path looking at the 2024 model breakdowns, in my humble opinion.

"That will be $103K"

Absolutely not. This makes me think the value equation has gotten totally out of whack, I wouldn't pull the trigger on a 2024.

To be clear, I'm not sure the Surround is gone from all models. I know its gone from the X-Dynamic SE. I'd be shocked if it was gone from the V8 too. But I've not confirmed.

Either way I agree and acted accordingly. Once I knew the stereo was gone in my model I was looking at, there was nothing left to decide. 2023.5 or bust. Just became a matter of finding the closest I could to what I was looking for. Making my peace with what its lacking or walking away. Full digital guages, I could live without. Clearsight rear view, less happy about (but I understand its gone from 2024 as well anyway, so waiting there had no benefit). I would have walked without adaptive cruise control. And since I found one with it. I pounced.

That said, as I understand it, JLR has done this every year since the Defender has come out. Price increases (or at least no decreases) and just less content year after year. may be the first vehicle I've ever seen do this. Most manufacturers add stuff to keep the hype up/relevant to buy and upgrade to the newest model years. For example, soft close rear door is no longer available but I understand it was for the first few years.

nashvegas (06-01-2023)
Old 06-01-2023, 01:43 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 681 Likes on 409 Posts

This makes me think the value equation has gotten totally out of whack, I wouldn't pull the trigger on a 2024. Price has gone up, content has gone down.
Totally agree. I like our 2021 X-Dynamic better than our 2023 X-Dynamic for just that reason.

2023 has 400w sound despite ordering the 700w system, no USB ports in back, no clear view rearview mirror, no sunglass holder, no lights in the door sills, some cheaper dashboard materials, no soft headrests and probably more things I have not noticed yet.

Old 06-01-2023, 01:48 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by PaulLR
Totally agree. I like our 2021 X-Dynamic better than our 2023 X-Dynamic for just that reason.

2023 has 400w sound despite ordering the 700w system, no USB ports in back, no clear view rearview mirror, no sunglass holder, no lights in the door sills, some cheaper dashboard materials, no soft headrests and probably more things I have not noticed yet.
I guess I got lucky that my 2023.5 X-Dynamic SE has the 700w system. Perhaps thats specific to the 130s?

Old 06-01-2023, 02:30 PM
Mudding
Received 78 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by starbai
I was where you were on this. The digital display has been coming on more and more even 23.5s But for me I couldn't find one that had it AND adaptive cruise control. And it came down to choosing between adaptive or the digital display. For what its worth here are my two cents after sitting in both and playing with both.

1) I didn't live with it so I cannot comment on the dash dimming comments above.
2) While the full digital is undoubtably cooler/more high tech. I think there is something to be said about the silver/brushed aluminum look of the 'analog' dials. They give it a retro vibe and frankly I dig the look more than digital gauges from a purely aesthetic point of view. Point is I am with you on wanting the tech (esp since theres no discount for having the smaller display) but you really can't go wrong with either.
3) As far as functionality, I didn't notice that the full screen display really offered more functionality than the analog, except for the ability to configure multiple things at once on the screen. That said what you could get on the center screen of the analog display is the same content (albeit not simultaneously) as is on the full screen (as far as I could tell, spending 10-15 min in a defender with the full gauges).
4) The coolest looking feature for me of the full digital is the full map view, where the whole gauge cluster is taken over by the navi screen maps. The thing here is that it only works if you're using the built in navigation from JLR. I dont know about you but I never use it. I'm always using android auto, or my wife uses apple car play for navigation through Waze. In this case, the full map w/navigation cannot be used for turn by turn directions. You could arguably still view the map, but would still use the center screen for turn by turn directions.

In the end in a perfect world I would have loved to have had the full gauges. But the bottom line (my 2 cents anyway) is that you're not really giving anything up other than the cool factor of the full display. And what you lose in that regard, you gain with the retro feel of the half analog half digital display. Long story short, dont let it the lack of the feature keep ya from a particular unit.

The loss of the nicer stereo is a MUCH bigger, noticeable downgrade if the model you're looking at would indeed loose the meridian surround in 2024, but has it in 2023.5.
Well stated. I agree regarding the analogue dash fitting the vehicle....And the fact that the full map feature does not work with Waze....Really don't think it will be missed..We were fortunate enough to get the 11.4" screen, 700w stereo (quite good) and all of the USB ports, 2 sets of keys etc on our '23.5 110SE we picked up last month. It was worth the wait!

Old 06-01-2023, 02:33 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

"That will be $103K"

I have a 23.5 110 X scheduled to arrive mid Aug. I was going to cancel it and get a 24 being that they're about to transition production right after my 23.5 is scheduled to be built. I don't mind waiting as I have other very enjoyable vehicles to keep me happy. So, I built a 24 online and was surprised that it was actually slightly less than my identical 23.5 build. That was until I noticed that the 700W 14 speaker Surround Sound was down graded to the base 400W 10 speaker system for 24. Needless to say, I'm sticking with the 23.5.

I suspect, most 24 buyers will not even know that the prior model year had a much better sound system unless they buy a V8 model (only models to have the 700W for 2024) or did their homework and don't care. Perhaps a LR sales strategy. "Hey look, no price change from last years model". Conveniently leaving out the downgrades.

dshark1 (06-01-2023)
Old 06-01-2023, 02:42 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by dshark1
So here is my dilemma,

Sold my Jeep just recently, with the intentions to order & buy a 24”Defender. So here I am , 2 weeks later sharing a vehicle with the wife.
told by my local dealer that my 24” would come sometime September if lucky? I don’t think I can wait it out! So after spending much time calling around , Found a Defender that is almost exact to my build besides exterior color. I was wanting Hakuba silver, this is Fuji white. What’s everyone’s opinion to purchase a 23.5 now or wait months for “24? The Defender fever is real! Just curious of your thoughts…..
My advice is to determine what is important to YOU. Not what anyone here thinks. Take facts like the audio system differences in the 2024 model vs the spec of the available 23.5 you can buy now (some 23.5s have been downgraded due to supply issues. ie gauges, rear view camera, Surround Sound etc.). However, try to avoid buy something out of impatience and have buyers remorse.

The following 4 users liked this post by BC-2:
dshark1 (06-01-2023), nashvegas (06-01-2023), starbai (06-01-2023), WAFOX (06-03-2023)
Old 06-02-2023, 07:13 AM
Mudding
Received 51 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by starbai

Very helpful input here ,

I am always using Apple Maps vs a factory navigation. Great point , like u said , the cool factor would really be the only upside to this.
Only other thing is, buying a soon to be one year old , once the 24”s hit the streets. Depreciation concern? Also have the crazy thought of taking the 23.5 & then trading it once the 24” order comes in? That’s something I need to get out of my head, Real quick! Lol probably would take a bath on a deal like that, in such a short amount of time.

Last edited by dshark1; 06-02-2023 at 07:24 AM.

Quick Reply: Buy 23.5 or wait ??? Help