Sponsored by:

Cargo Attachments to Expedition Rack

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2020, 09:07 PM
OTM
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cargo Attachments to Expedition Rack

I’m wondering if I can attach my Thule luggage carrier (and Yakima bike and ski racks) to the Expedition Roof Rack? I typically use factory cross bars on various vehicles to use those items. The fit looks ok but is there anything different that I should know when attaching to a large heavy rack rather than cross bars? Luggage carrier flying off the rack while on highway would not be cool. Thanks

Old 05-18-2021, 04:15 PM
Mudding
Received 167 Likes on 98 Posts

I'm wondering the same thing - have the expedition roof rack on my 2022 build that is in progress.

Did you ever get an answer to your questions?

Old 05-18-2021, 04:34 PM
OTM
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Thule ski racks fit on the expedition rack but I haven’t tried the cargo carrier. It seems like it will work based on the shape of the bars.

Old 05-19-2021, 05:32 AM
Overlanding
Received 29 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by OTM
I’m wondering if I can attach my Thule luggage carrier (and Yakima bike and ski racks) to the Expedition Roof Rack? I typically use factory cross bars on various vehicles to use those items. The fit looks ok but is there anything different that I should know when attaching to a large heavy rack rather than cross bars? Luggage carrier flying off the rack while on highway would not be cool. Thanks
I'm fairly certain that the cross bars on the rack are Thule load bars.

Additionally, take a look at the load rating for the expedition rack vs. the load rating for cross bars. This, along with mfr instructions on attaching the various accessories, is how you should go about answering the question you posed.

Old 05-20-2021, 11:42 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 234 Likes on 110 Posts

The bars on the expedition rack seem to have standard Thule “T-Slot”, and if that’s the case, i would expect most if not all Thule attachments should fit.

Old 05-21-2021, 07:19 PM
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Expedition roof rack

Originally Posted by sacharama
The bars on the expedition rack seem to have standard Thule “T-Slot”, and if that’s the case, i would expect most if not all Thule attachments should fit.
I have tried many T slot ring tie downs and other attachments and so far lo luck with any of them fitting. anyone have a place that has accessories that actually fit into the t trac slot?

Old 06-29-2021, 05:59 PM
Drifting
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I just attempted to put the Thule L storage box on the rack and it doesn't secure to the rack. The aero/styling of the bottom of the box prevent it from seating properly. The person at REI recommended that I look at a Yakima box to get a possible fit.

Anyone solve this yet?

Old 06-29-2021, 06:20 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking at my Thule box that was my thoughts as well. I Don't know a solution but keen to hear if anyone has one.

Old 06-29-2021, 08:56 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,311 Likes on 952 Posts

What is the width of the t-track in the expedition rack's bars.

I have a similar issue I expect. Thule roof rack designed to fit cross bars. When sitting atop the expedition rack there will be ~ 0.5" distance between bars and base of the box.

Thinking this might work but not sure if the bolts are long enough to reach with the added distance between box and bar. I'll likely get it to try myself once I get the rack (and Defender)

Thule Adapter for T-track Thule Adapter for T-track

The following users liked this post:
DonMitsu (06-30-2021)
Old 10-09-2021, 12:04 PM
Mudding
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Has anyone been able to find a good way to fit the Thule Motion XT Cargo box on the expedition rack? I would appreciate any detail? thx

Quick Reply: Cargo Attachments to Expedition Rack