2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cargo Space: 110 vs. 130 "duffle bag" analysis

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2022, 07:53 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 631 Likes on 378 Posts

Back to the topic...if the 130 is a foot longer than a 110, and you can stack the bags 4 high in the way back, then it's 4 duffle bags bigger. That's great when traveling with the family and ski gear, or traveling with the family & dog, or the upcoming college move-ins. But for the other days of the year, it looks cumbersome. Seeing it in a parking spot, I can't imagine trying to street park it in a city like Boston or NYC.

I'd take 30" tires I could order a 5-seat 130 with the spare tire underneath like the LR4, or inside where the 8-seat rear folding seats go. (255/55/19 LR4 tires are 30")

And I want my LR4 split tailgate back. Top half keeps you dry when loading groceries in the rain. Bottom half is an awesome bench to sit on, or stand on it to reach the roof tray, or keep it down when carrying home longer wood. Defender is much better than the LR4 is so many ways, but the LR4 was an amazing design in regard to space. So much passenger space and cargo space without making it ridiculously long.

Old 08-12-2022, 08:13 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 191 Likes on 113 Posts

The fixation on the 33" tires is for people that actually use the thing off-road. There are just no choices in a 32" tire, it is an oddball size and Land Rover really hamstrung the owners who want to use the car as 'advertised' in all the press material, which is odd. It is not so much about the meager half inch of additional clearance it provides (but don't sleep on how much of a difference every bit makes, picking your way over rocks and stumps is a game of fractions of inches), but rather it is about the tire choices available. The corollary to the choices in tire is also that, if the platform were built around a 33" diameter tire (and the additional width that would bring as well), then there would be no clearance issues or rubbing at all height of the air suspension. The fact that the thing would just look better is just a bonus. The proportions are off for the height of the vehicle and just get worse as you move up from a 90 to this 130. It just looks goofy.

The following users liked this post:
Royalist (08-12-2022)
Old 08-12-2022, 10:15 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 185 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by PaulLR
Back to the topic...if the 130 is a foot longer than a 110, and you can stack the bags 4 high in the way back, then it's 4 duffle bags bigger. That's great when traveling with the family and ski gear, or traveling with the family & dog, or the upcoming college move-ins. But for the other days of the year, it looks cumbersome. Seeing it in a parking spot, I can't imagine trying to street park it in a city like Boston or NYC.

I'd take 30" tires I could order a 5-seat 130 with the spare tire underneath like the LR4, or inside where the 8-seat rear folding seats go. (255/55/19 LR4 tires are 30")

And I want my LR4 split tailgate back. Top half keeps you dry when loading groceries in the rain. Bottom half is an awesome bench to sit on, or stand on it to reach the roof tray, or keep it down when carrying home longer wood. Defender is much better than the LR4 is so many ways, but the LR4 was an amazing design in regard to space. So much passenger space and cargo space without making it ridiculously long.
Yeah I don’t think that the 130 will sell well at all, very few people have orders on one, marketing is minimal, and very few on the forum talking about it. It’s still shorter than a Tahoe though, I believe.

Old 08-12-2022, 10:17 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by CombatNinja
The fixation on the 33" tires is for people that actually use the thing off-road. There are just no choices in a 32" tire, it is an oddball size and Land Rover really hamstrung the owners who want to use the car as 'advertised' in all the press material, which is odd. It is not so much about the meager half inch of additional clearance it provides (but don't sleep on how much of a difference every bit makes, picking your way over rocks and stumps is a game of fractions of inches), but rather it is about the tire choices available. The corollary to the choices in tire is also that, if the platform were built around a 33" diameter tire (and the additional width that would bring as well), then there would be no clearance issues or rubbing at all height of the air suspension. The fact that the thing would just look better is just a bonus. The proportions are off for the height of the vehicle and just get worse as you move up from a 90 to this 130. It just looks goofy.
I think it’ll look better in person for you guys, but I can tell it looks good from what I’ve seen. It’s all about the spec too. Even if it is goofy, I think it gives it character.

Old 08-12-2022, 11:03 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 191 Likes on 113 Posts

To be sure it looks stupid but then so did the old 130s to be honest. We all have rose colored glasses for the old ones because most of the images we've seen of them are with a bit of patina and giraffes or elephants in the frame. Nothing like a giraffe to make anything look less goofy by comparison.

edit: And, yeah, the 130 still comes in almost a full foot shorter than the Tahoe, which shows you how big those are, and by extension, how truly humungous the Suburbans are.

Last edited by CombatNinja; 08-12-2022 at 11:06 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by CombatNinja:
PaulLR (08-12-2022), Royalist (08-12-2022)
Old 08-18-2022, 12:00 PM
Drifting
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Royalist
Well I think I'm just about the only person with an order for a '23.5MY 130 on these forums (If there are others pls, voice your opinion). You can opt for the "standard seating configuration" which is 5 seats. I opted for 8 just cuz. I had a '22 90 S and loved the look, it was odd and different. I think the 130 looking ridiculously long is also unique. I never liked the profile of the 110 at all, its my least favorite wheelbase, but that's just me.

I'd say, if ya want maximum room, get the 130 with the standard seating config (ie. 5 seats) (you can add the premium upgrade interior pack which includes the extended leather pack if ya want too [even though the build and price is weird about it) if that's your thing]. If you really don't like the look of the 130, get the 110.

I'm calling Monday to see if I got my allocation yet, I'm number 1 at my dealer and hoping to get it latest by December (keyword hoping).

I'll provide some links to the 130 in person in just a moment...

View this post on Instagram

Edit: You may have to follow the accounts on Insta to View (new_gen_defender and lucky8offroad).
I also ordered a 130 and I’m being told the first week of December for delivery.

Royalist (08-18-2022)
Old 08-18-2022, 12:13 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Rcf75
I also ordered a 130 and I’m being told the first week of December for delivery.
Oh cool, I made a poll on a thread awhile back regarding 130 orders. Friend me on here and Insta if ya want “ the_one_thirty “. Trying to see all those who ordered.

Rcf75 (08-18-2022)