Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check this before you have a flat

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2022, 05:31 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,412 Likes on 713 Posts

Originally Posted by GavinC
Back left slot is for something related to the diesel models. A funnel of some sort to add a magic fluid. Sorry I'm a bit of an idiot when it comes to these things.
Ahh, thank you. Blue DEF. Now I'm just missing the eye.

The following users liked this post:
GavinC (01-04-2022)
Old 01-03-2022, 05:39 PM
Drifting
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Funny shaped hole in Styrofoam under load space

Originally Posted by GavinC
Back left slot is for something related to the diesel models. A funnel of some sort to add a magic fluid. Sorry I'm a bit of an idiot when it comes to these things.
It is a diesel misfuel reset device. If you put a gasoline nozzle in the diesel filler pipe, the filler pipe has a device that trips closed. There is a yellow tool that allows you to reset this. Powerful UK sells replacement ones (see below). I wish Land Rover mentioned that in the owner's manual, as it took months for me to accidentally discover what should (or should not) be in the empty space. The dealer was clueless.

The following 2 users liked this post by wnewport:
GavinC (01-04-2022), _Allegedly (01-03-2022)
Old 01-03-2022, 08:48 PM
Drifting
Default Tow eye

Originally Posted by _Allegedly
Ahh, thank you. Blue DEF. Now I'm just missing the eye.
If you have the installed tow hooks in the back (I think you said you did above), there won't be anywhere to attach the tow eye- the sockets that the tow eye reverse threads into get replaced with the tow hooks.

Old 01-04-2022, 05:18 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by wnewport
If you have the installed tow hooks in the back (I think you said you did above), there won't be anywhere to attach the tow eye- the sockets that the tow eye reverse threads into get replaced with the tow hooks.
I do but the workshop manual says "never tow the vehicle backwards with all 4 wheels on the ground" "do not tow on two wheels" and "only tow forward on all 4 wheels". It discusses using the tow eye in the front (that my dealer tossed after new vehicle prep).

Last edited by _Allegedly; 01-04-2022 at 05:32 AM.
Old 01-04-2022, 08:48 AM
Winching
Received 653 Likes on 318 Posts

Also, that little pocket/depression just forward of the slot for the diesel reset tool is where I found my lug nut ‘key’ for the locking lug nuts on the spare tire. Which brings up my next point. There are two locking lug nuts on my spare. None on the tires on the ground. As far as the price to replace a possibly stolen wheel, I immediately ordered and installed a complete set of locking lug nuts. Funny, because at this price point, one would think this should be standard. Every Honda I’ve owned over the last several years came with locking lug nuts. So, for peace of mind, I purchased them for my Defender.

Old 01-04-2022, 08:55 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by WTFChuck
Also, that little pocket/depression just forward of the slot for the diesel reset tool is where I found my lug nut ‘key’ for the locking lug nuts on the spare tire. Which brings up my next point. There are two locking lug nuts on my spare. None on the tires on the ground. As far as the price to replace a possibly stolen wheel, I immediately ordered and installed a complete set of locking lug nuts. Funny, because at this price point, one would think this should be standard. Every Honda I’ve owned over the last several years came with locking lug nuts. So, for peace of mind, I purchased them for my Defender.

Yes. That's where mine was (first pic) but it made noise so I moved it to sit on top of the removal post (2nd pic).

Old 01-04-2022, 09:23 AM
Drifting
Default Front towing eye

Originally Posted by _Allegedly
I do but the workshop manual says "never tow the vehicle backwards with all 4 wheels on the ground" "do not tow on two wheels" and "only tow forward on all 4 wheels". It discusses using the tow eye in the front (that my dealer tossed after new vehicle prep).
The front tow eye on the new Defender is permanently mounted. It is held with two large bolts as shown in some of the photos in posts above. It is either already exposed if you have the front undershield or requires removal of the plastic cover for access if you don't. My wife's 2017 Evoque (and maybe some other LR models) I think requires screwing in the towing eye in the front, but the new Defender does not. I see no reason for you to need it. You could have mine if you want one for some reason.. (but it is not light and wouldn't be that cheap to send.)

Old 01-04-2022, 10:45 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,403 Likes on 689 Posts

^^ Uzzackly. Nailed it. C'mon 'Ledge, people who ordered a P300 didn't get a 3.0 liter I6 even though there's space for one. You didn't get all sorts of things that are standard on trim levels you didn't order. If there's not even a place for the temporary towhook to screw in, and the place it would be used on "lesser" models is taken by the permanent tow hooks on your model, a) why would LR give you that unneeded item, and b) why would you want it?

Hey, I'm just pulling your chain -- we want what we want, I get it. But I'm encouraging you to stop wanting that inferior bit of kit.

Old 01-04-2022, 01:10 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
^^ Uzzackly. Nailed it. C'mon 'Ledge, people who ordered a P300 didn't get a 3.0 liter I6 even though there's space for one. You didn't get all sorts of things that are standard on trim levels you didn't order. If there's not even a place for the temporary towhook to screw in, and the place it would be used on "lesser" models is taken by the permanent tow hooks on your model, a) why would LR give you that unneeded item, and b) why would you want it?

Hey, I'm just pulling your chain -- we want what we want, I get it. But I'm encouraging you to stop wanting that inferior bit of kit.
Its all just so complicated. Why do they tell the vehicle prep people to remove and stow the "front/rear tow eye" for future towing?

I'm assuming it had to be attached at the front during transit because you apparently can't ever tow this crystal vase backwards so my rear XD tow eyes are only for pulling stumps or drawing & quartering my numerous enemies.

Will I need it to get a front tow up the truck or should I just do what I usually do when a vehicle needs service and put it in a lake?

Last edited by _Allegedly; 01-04-2022 at 01:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
GavinC (01-04-2022)
Old 01-04-2022, 02:19 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,403 Likes on 689 Posts

So where does it screw in in the front of the truck? I’ve never looked for a spot, since the lower permanent one is readily apparent. Is there a trap door like on the front of Porsches that can be removed so a tow loop can be installed for track days?

Quick Reply: Check this before you have a flat