Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cleaning Tips and Products for the Defender Interior

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2022, 04:33 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,297 Likes on 948 Posts
Default Cleaning Tips and Products for the Defender Interior

I am not the tidiest of chaps. I've always been a bit of a magnet for grime. According to my better half, our Defender's interior could do with a bit of a sprucing up.

I wanted to ask if the good folks here have any tips, pointers or products they'd recommend for cleaning the various materials on the Defender's interior. The wetsuit like material and leather specifically.

Thanks in advance.

The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (05-16-2022)
Old 05-15-2022, 08:36 PM
Drifting
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I like Chemical Guys products a lot. You’ll find anything and everything you’ll need to clean up that mess

GavinC (05-15-2022)
Old 05-15-2022, 09:55 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,407 Likes on 710 Posts

Good Lord man, did you bury a body or something?

Get the bulk of it off with damp towels. Use a lot of towels so you aren't just rubbing it in or around.

Follow up with an all-purpose interior cleaner that really works. CarPro InnerQD is my favorite. It has a very clean vaguely citrus-based scent and it's water-based so it doesn't leave any residue. Cleans leather, plastic, screens, rubber, and vinyl.

If you plan to keep playing the mud (who the hell am I to judge?) Treat your leather to a protective treatment. After you get the dirt off, it just wipes on and it's like a ceramic coating for the leather. It will be infinitely easier to clean next time.

Protect the vinyl and plastic with CarPro Perl. This is the modern version of Armor-All. It's completely non-greasy. Smells like a tropical cocktail. Dries to a dull smooth sheen and it repels water and dirt. Keeps the material black and looking new for months. Perl is also incredible in your engine compartment on the plastic and hoses. Good on tires and exterior rubber and trim too but it only lasts a month or two there.

There are plenty of other great products from other companies but these are the best I've used and I'm extremely picky about my interior.

Last edited by _Allegedly; 05-17-2022 at 12:30 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by _Allegedly:
dj200 (05-16-2022), GavinC (05-15-2022), GrouseK9 (05-16-2022), mopadzi (05-17-2022)
Old 05-15-2022, 10:27 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by _Allegedly
Good Lord man, did you bury a body or something?

Get the bulk of it off with damp towels. Use a lot of towels so you aren't just rubbing it in or around.

Follow up with an all-purpose interior cleaner that really works. CarPro InnerQD is my favorite. It has a very clean vaguely citrus-based scent and its water-based so it doesn't leave any residue. Cleans leather, plastic, screens, rubber, and vinyl.

If you plan to keep playing the mud (who the hell am I to judge?) Treat your leather to a protective treatment. After you get the dirt off, it just wipes on and it's like a ceramic coating for the leather. It will be infinitely easier to clean next time.

Protect the vinyl and plastic with CarPro Perl. This is the modern version of Armor-All. It's completely non-greasy. Smells like a tropical cocktail. Dries to a dull smooth sheen and it repels water and dirt. Keeps the material black and looking new for months. Perl is also incredible in your engine compartment on the plastic and hoses. Good on tires and exterior rubber and trim too but it only lasts a month or two there.

There are plenty of other great products from other companies but these are the best I've used and I'm extremely picky about my interior.
Thanks @_Allegedly . I was hoping you might chime in here. After seeing your ceramic coating thread, I have every faith in your recommendations and tips.

It may be moot at this stage. Detailing services have been contacted. One did mention the leather protection. Sounds like that's needed and a good idea.

The cause of the mud is shown in the "Defenders in the wild. Let's see them" thread. No bodies, although if I repeat this again, my other half may be disposing of one.

_Allegedly (05-15-2022)
Old 05-15-2022, 10:54 PM
Pro Wrench

Good plan. I guess I am the neighborhood clean freak.

That ceramic coating was around 8 weeks ago. I've only had to wash it twice since. It just always looks clean. Mostly, I can just spray bugs off with a water bottle or just quick-rinse the car before I drive somewhere. They've really changed everything about car care.

​​​​​​Bodies are easy to get rid of in Florida. Alligators.

Last edited by _Allegedly; 05-17-2022 at 12:29 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by _Allegedly:
GavinC (05-16-2022), PaulLR (05-22-2022)
Old 05-16-2022, 11:39 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,254 Likes on 746 Posts

Ditto the thanks for the tips, @_Allegedly ! That one is going into my "Saved" bookmarks for Defender tips. I'm in the middle of my latest project with bits & parts of trim everywhere. At my usual piddling pace it may be a few weeks until I can finish and put it all back together. But as soon as I do, I'll buff it up like you recommend!!

Old 05-17-2022, 01:12 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 261 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by GavinC
Thanks @_Allegedly . I was hoping you might chime in here. After seeing your ceramic coating thread, I have every faith in your recommendations and tips.

It may be moot at this stage. Detailing services have been contacted. One did mention the leather protection. Sounds like that's needed and a good idea.

The cause of the mud is shown in the "Defenders in the wild. Let's see them" thread. No bodies, although if I repeat this again, my other half may be disposing of one.
Get the heavy dirt off first because detail service will hit you with a big upcharge because of the mud.

Old 05-17-2022, 01:44 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by ADVAW8S
Get the heavy dirt off first because detail service will hit you with a big upcharge because of the mud.
Yeah I did get most of the heavier brain matter and blood stains out first. They came by yesterday and made a good start but are coming back Wednesday with some better products. No extra costs just a different method I guess.

I realized quickly enough that I'd hire someone. My rag and bucket skills were falling short of the mark

The only real SNAFU from my muddy adventures was from me scuffing the paint on the driver side with my muddy clothes. Climbed up on to the rack to get the Maxtrax and instead of taking the ladder back I just slid down the side Hazzard county style. Only shows up after that fancy contactless car wash so lesson is, never wash the car.

Might be doing some sort of waxing/ceramic one day. I don't know. Seems like the horse has bolted leaving the paint stable door flapping in the breeze. Doesn't bother me but not everyone feels the same.

GrouseK9 (05-17-2022)
Old 05-17-2022, 02:01 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by GavinC
Yeah I did get most of the heavier brain matter and blood stains out first. They came by yesterday and made a good start but are coming back Wednesday with some better products. No extra costs just a different method I guess.

I realized quickly enough that I'd hire someone. My rag and bucket skills were falling short of the mark

The only real SNAFU from my muddy adventures was from me scuffing the paint on the driver side with my muddy clothes. Climbed up on to the rack to get the Maxtrax and instead of taking the ladder back I just slid down the side Hazzard county style. Only shows up after that fancy contactless car wash so lesson is, never wash the car.

Might be doing some sort of waxing/ceramic one day. I don't know. Seems like the horse has bolted leaving the paint stable door flapping in the breeze. Doesn't bother me but not everyone feels the same.
I promise you will never look back at all the fun times you've had with your kids on your adventures... and wish your car had been cleaner.

The following 3 users liked this post by _Allegedly:
Foxshire (05-17-2022), GavinC (05-17-2022), user 729788 (05-17-2022)
Old 05-21-2022, 08:41 PM
Mudding
Received 147 Likes on 83 Posts

How about cleaning that interior microfibre on the doors? Unfortunately I got some tree sap on the driver door

Quick Reply: Cleaning Tips and Products for the Defender Interior