2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Consider Selling your New Defender?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2021, 04:15 PM
Winching
Received 124 Likes on 109 Posts

Bring A Trailer loves the LR - add $20K to you sticker - set the reserve - give it a shot

Old 08-29-2021, 06:47 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 196 Likes on 112 Posts

Hell no.

Old 08-29-2021, 07:46 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 132 Likes on 63 Posts

I've sold one vehicle on Bring A Trailer (BAT), and attempted to sell another one. They are very picky about the cars they will accept, and apparently are trying to shy away from fairly new/flipped vehicles lately. Their model has changed significantly since they changed ownership -- it's not as easy to sell there as it used to be.

The tricky part about selling on BaT is the actual transaction itself. When it "sells" BaT simply sends you the e-mail of the winning bidder and says "good luck!" It's up to you to work with the buyer on the transaction from that point forward.

My recommendation (if you're selling a vehicle remotely) is to use a escrow service. I used escrow.com for a recent transaction and the minor expense/additional effort was well worth it to reduce anxiety (esp. on what could be a $80-100K transaction if it's a Defender)

The following users liked this post:
Chad801 (08-29-2021)
Old 08-29-2021, 07:52 PM
Winching
Received 124 Likes on 109 Posts

wow didn't know BAT wasn't involved with the transaction

Old 08-29-2021, 11:26 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 212 Likes on 140 Posts
Default Yes, I would consider but for other reasons

Originally Posted by Chad801
I've consider an EV commuter car to replace the Defender until the market corrects itself. It certainly wouldn't be a direct replacement for the LR. Even if I paid MSRP for an EV I'd still be way ahead as it seems I could get about $20Kish over what I paid for the Defender. Then as the market cools down I could order another Defender. That's the thought anyway.
Let me say first that I love my D110. Love how it drives, capabilities, and ... everything. However, when it comes to parts ( God forbid you have an accident, or a simple electronic issue ) you are out of luck. I have another brand new LR vehicle, which is been in shop for over 45 days now, and still no parts available ... unitl God knows when. Another thing, I am not sure if you have seen how much a relatively minor fender bender can total ( yes total ) your vehicle. There is a post here, where this happened. In a year of two, when the insurance companies will have enough data about the price of repairs for these vehicles, the cost of insurance will be unattainable for most people. This is not a Rols, or Bentley... is a Land Rover after all. Yes, once I find something relatively close as a vehicle ( I know, there are not too many out there) I will definitely sell it.
And about "market correcting itself" ... yeah, I don't know about that. I don't see that happening any time soon. This is an induced craziness (no, is not the pandemic anymore) which will last for many years. But, good luck with the sale.

Old 08-30-2021, 07:27 AM
Winching
Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts

I think is an anomaly. The range rovers full size and sport have been aluminum since 2014. I think it's the inexperience of the shop that took it that's why the $40k estimate.

_Allegedly (08-30-2021)
Old 08-30-2021, 08:16 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 634 Likes on 381 Posts

Not selling since I would pay full price for whatever I can find available to replace it. Same issue with our house...have received multiple unsolicited offers from realtors to buy our house. Was told there are multiple buyers who want to move to our town before the next school year and price didn't matter. With our last child just graduating high school we considered it. However, it would be 12-15 months before we can build a new house due to the building supply shortages. Worse yet, the cost was $400 per square foot due to the current high cost of building supplies. Doesn't make sense to sell your Defender or your house right now.

Old 08-30-2021, 09:02 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 304 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by PaulLR
Not selling since I would pay full price for whatever I can find available to replace it. Same issue with our house...have received multiple unsolicited offers from realtors to buy our house. Was told there are multiple buyers who want to move to our town before the next school year and price didn't matter. With our last child just graduating high school we considered it. However, it would be 12-15 months before we can build a new house due to the building supply shortages. Worse yet, the cost was $400 per square foot due to the current high cost of building supplies. Doesn't make sense to sell your Defender or your house right now.
I hear ya on this.

We won't be selling the D anytime soon cause we enjoy it.

I have been casually shopping mid-size pickups with off-road packages, and many local dealers are adding premiums right now, around 10% over the msrp. No way I'm buying then.

But on the house thing. During the pandemic bubble we've seen similar lakefront properties around here go for a full double previous market value. I was pushing the wife for us to sell and rent for a year or two, then buy again after prices stabilize. But she was all "just enjoy living here". I get it, but it was a would have provided a ton of cash, a TON... oh well, whatever. Happy wife = happy life.... and moving is such a hassle.

Old 08-30-2021, 09:37 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 634 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by Kev M
But on the house thing. During the pandemic bubble we've seen similar lakefront properties around here go for a full double previous market value. I was pushing the wife for us to sell and rent for a year or two, then buy again after prices stabilize. But she was all "just enjoy living here". I get it, but it was a would have provided a ton of cash, a TON... oh well, whatever. Happy wife = happy life.... and moving is such a hassle.
I see you are in South Jersey. A good friend lives outside Philadelphia and has a beach house at LBI. Called me an hour ago to tell me he just got offered double what he paid for the LBI house. Like you, his wife enjoys the beach house too much to sell it.

Kev M (08-30-2021)
Old 08-30-2021, 09:53 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 698 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by Mechano2020
Let me say first that I love my D110. Love how it drives, capabilities, and ... everything. However, when it comes to parts ( God forbid you have an accident, or a simple electronic issue ) you are out of luck. I have another brand new LR vehicle, which is been in shop for over 45 days now, and still no parts available ... unitl God knows when. Another thing, I am not sure if you have seen how much a relatively minor fender bender can total ( yes total ) your vehicle. There is a post here, where this happened. In a year of two, when the insurance companies will have enough data about the price of repairs for these vehicles, the cost of insurance will be unattainable for most people. This is not a Rols, or Bentley... is a Land Rover after all. Yes, once I find something relatively close as a vehicle ( I know, there are not too many out there) I will definitely sell it.
And about "market correcting itself" ... yeah, I don't know about that. I don't see that happening any time soon. This is an induced craziness (no, is not the pandemic anymore) which will last for many years. But, good luck with the sale.
Mechano2020 -- just curious, which part/issue is delaying your other JLR vehicle repair? I am still reeling from having to find my own ECU fuel pump controller.

I concur something seismic is happening in the area of supply of assets and services of many kinds -- I just have no idea what is the cause.

For those in North America, my recent stupefying moments come whenever I enter a Panera Bread lunch place. I really like their product. But, their delivery is now anemic and they have started posting corporate provided signs which beg for patience because they cannot find people to work in their restaurants.

Very confusing ....

Quick Reply: Consider Selling your New Defender?