Sponsored by:

Cross Bars

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2021, 04:04 PM
4wd Low
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Cross Bars

Hi All,

I know this has been discussed on few different posts in different contexts but I couldn't find a consolidated thread so thought I would start one here. I've got a '22 110 and I'm looking to add some cross bars and a ski box for the season. I'll likely go Thule for the ski box but I've got no clue where to go for the cross bars. The OEM ones look a little tall compared to the Thule wingbars but the Thule package looks to be about 2x the price and I don't know if they fit the same.

Curious what the community has to say on the subject of (1) Cross bars (OEM vs. Aftermarket, and (2) Ski boxes big enough for 2 boards, 2 skis.

Thanks in advance!

Old 12-20-2021, 04:25 PM
Drifting
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by hurricaneharry
Hi All,

I know this has been discussed on few different posts in different contexts but I couldn't find a consolidated thread so thought I would start one here. I've got a '22 110 and I'm looking to add some cross bars and a ski box for the season. I'll likely go Thule for the ski box but I've got no clue where to go for the cross bars. The OEM ones look a little tall compared to the Thule wingbars but the Thule package looks to be about 2x the price and I don't know if they fit the same.

Curious what the community has to say on the subject of (1) Cross bars (OEM vs. Aftermarket, and (2) Ski boxes big enough for 2 boards, 2 skis.

Thanks in advance!
Pro tip on all Thule products. Buy out of the UK and you will save up to 50%. I had a good experience with PF Jones https://www.pfjones.co.uk/

Old 12-21-2021, 06:48 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 634 Likes on 381 Posts

I have the OEM cross bars and they are very easy to install and remove after you do it once. Very high quality product. Pretty sure the OEM cross bars are made by Thule. The lock/key number that came with my OEM cross bars is the same as another Thule rack I already have.

If going with Thule branded cross bars, hopefully they came up with a better foot for the Defender than what they offered for the LR4. The metal tabs that fit into the LR4 roof rails were too small and didn't inspire confidence when attaching a roof box loaded with thousands of dollars of ski equipment.

As for the roof box, I have a Thule Motion XT that has served me well for the last 5 or 6 years. If buying today, I'd get the Thule Vector Alpine.

Last edited by PaulLR; 12-21-2021 at 07:10 AM.
Old 12-21-2021, 03:22 PM
Mudding
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by WARWGN
Pro tip on all Thule products. Buy out of the UK and you will save up to 50%. I had a good experience with PF Jones https://www.pfjones.co.uk/
Well. ****. I wish I had seen this before. I have just ordered the Thule wingbar set up.

Hoping the 3040 from REI is the 183040 from Thule. At least if it's not, it's REI and I can just return it.

Old 12-22-2021, 09:39 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 234 Likes on 110 Posts

Thule has a cross bar system that works for the L663 defender but for some odd reasons, the system is only available in South Africa and Europe.

i bought the system A la carte (wingbars and the foot systems from the US retailers and the fit kit from the uk) as i couldn’t find the fit kit available anywhere in the U.S. Thule North America had no clue about why the system is not available in the US.

anyway, i was going to use the system with the thule motion XT to transport skis but it turned out i have been able to transport my skis inside my D90 by folding down the back seats, so i might be selling the whole system which is brand new never installed.

Old 12-23-2021, 08:49 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 58 Likes on 29 Posts

Can anyone tell me why cross bars have to be so high/raised off the roof? We had a Volvo XC 90 with raised side rails and were able to get cross bars that were almost flush with the side rails and seen the Rhino-Rack vortex installed on cars only a couple inches off the roof. I understand some clearance is needed for straps and attachments, but the OEM and Thule setups seem really high. Is there a standard or DOT required clearance? Would lower cross bars cut down on drag when the cross-bars are not in use?

Old 12-23-2021, 08:55 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 634 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by brydup
Can anyone tell me why cross bars have to be so high/raised off the roof? We had a Volvo XC 90 with raised side rails and were able to get cross bars that were almost flush with the side rails and seen the Rhino-Rack vortex installed on cars only a couple inches off the roof. I understand some clearance is needed for straps and attachments, but the OEM and Thule setups seem really high. Is there a standard or DOT required clearance? Would lower cross bars cut down on drag when the cross-bars are not in use?
My guess is clearance to open the sunroof. Why you would want to open the sunroof with items on the roof is another mystery.

The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (12-23-2021)
Old 12-23-2021, 03:18 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 435 Likes on 203 Posts

Done that, 2" clearance

oldskoolarcher (10-12-2023)
Old 12-23-2021, 09:06 PM
Mudding
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by sacharama
Thule has a cross bar system that works for the L663 defender but for some odd reasons, the system is only available in South Africa and Europe.

i bought the system A la carte (wingbars and the foot systems from the US retailers and the fit kit from the uk) as i couldn’t find the fit kit available anywhere in the U.S. Thule North America had no clue about why the system is not available in the US.

anyway, i was going to use the system with the thule motion XT to transport skis but it turned out i have been able to transport my skis inside my D90 by folding down the back seats, so i might be selling the whole system which is brand new never installed.
Actually, this is available from the US. The Fit Kit is the 3040 / 183040 -- same as the kit for the Jeep Commander, some Plymouth Minivan and others. I got it from REI, and it was literally 10 years old of a fit kit (in said box!) but installed and bolted up just fine.

It is well high off the roof, I admit. I kind of like the look, but I am not fitting in any restricted height garages any time soon!!!

WAFOX (04-18-2023)
Old 12-24-2021, 08:20 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 58 Likes on 29 Posts

Looks awesome, is that the Thule setup? During our test drive, no sun was getting in through the OEM rack, so we didn't pick a 110 with sun roof. The plan was to add a lower profile, aftermarket rack, but when we got the car no such thing was available.

And when we got it back to New Orleans, we discovered that roof clearance was an issue, most parking garages are 6' 6" max clearance, so with nothing on top, I have to lower it to get into most parking garages without nicking the antenna.

Solved the surfboard issue by adding a couple of mini Mals to our quiver. They're harder to paddle in small waves, but anything under 8' fits inside the 110 comfortably.

Happy Holidays!

Quick Reply: Cross Bars