Sponsored by:

D90 Build Advise

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2021, 10:39 AM
GBX
Drifting
Received 38 Likes on 15 Posts
Default D90 Build Advise

Just saw and drove the D90 at my local dealership. The 90 feels perfect! I always felt that the 110 just felt too big. Plus the back seats are very spacious. I sat back there with the front seat all the way back and had plenty of room (5'8"). Big rear windows make it feel even bigger.

I'm trying to keep my build as basic as possible and have spec'd as followed:

Pangea Green
18" Style 5093, Gloss White, Steel
Off-Road Tires
White contrast Roof
Folding Fabric Roof (played with this in person - opens about 25% more then the glass roof!)
Khaki Grained Leather and Robust Woven Textile Seat Facings with Ebony Interior
12-way Heated Semi-powered Front Seats
Meridian™ Sound System

What do you guys think? I'm on the fence about the off-road pack. I don't plan to do much off-roading but plan to drive on the beach and may try some off-roading if I have the chance. Plus, we get a decent amount of snow in the NE. How necessary do you think the active diff is for my use?

Also, I remember seeing early on in the configurator a way to delete the center console. Anyone know anything about that? Is it still an option?

The following users liked this post:
angelboing (03-11-2021)
Old 03-10-2021, 12:03 PM
Winching
Received 246 Likes on 173 Posts

Personally I like the look of the 90 vs 110. The price difference to the 110 is fairly minimal though, which makes it tough to pass on the additional cargo space. If you are not concerned about that and possibly towing then you are probably alrighty from a utility perspective. The 90 makese a better urban/city vehicle obviously.

If you are not going to be using your defender for consistent off roading where you need traction , then you can probably get away without having the off road pack. It can help you in snow and ice so depending on what you do in your winters thats a consideration. If you are factory ordering a vehicle then I would suggest ordering it and maybe it expands how you plan to use the defender.

I think you can delete the center console by ordering the jump seat. I dont know of another way.

Old 03-10-2021, 01:03 PM
GBX
Drifting
Received 38 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Moretti
I think you can delete the center console by ordering the jump seat. I dont know of another way.
Thanks! When they first launched the configurator, there was a no charge option for no center console (without jump seat). When selected it actually showed the interior without one....would certainly make accessing the back seats in the 90 easier.

Old 03-10-2021, 01:11 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by GBX
Thanks! When they first launched the configurator, there was a no charge option for no center console (without jump seat). When selected it actually showed the interior without one....would certainly make accessing the back seats in the 90 easier.
We are still waiting for the 2022 build configurator to hit the USA site. On the UK site its called "cabin walk through." Maybe they will allow this for 22 USA builds.

Old 03-10-2021, 01:53 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

If you're worried about resale, the off-road pack is they way to go, as most defenders don't have it. Personally I would rather have the rear locker and not need it, than need it and not have it.

The following users liked this post:
Jolly Rancher (03-28-2021)
Old 03-10-2021, 02:58 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 698 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by GBX
Just saw and drove the D90 at my local dealership. The 90 feels perfect! I always felt that the 110 just felt too big. Plus the back seats are very spacious. I sat back there with the front seat all the way back and had plenty of room (5'8"). Big rear windows make it feel even bigger.

I'm trying to keep my build as basic as possible and have spec'd as followed:

Pangea Green
18" Style 5093, Gloss White, Steel
Off-Road Tires
White contrast Roof
Folding Fabric Roof (played with this in person - opens about 25% more then the glass roof!)
Khaki Grained Leather and Robust Woven Textile Seat Facings with Ebony Interior
12-way Heated Semi-powered Front Seats
Meridian™ Sound System

What do you guys think? I'm on the fence about the off-road pack. I don't plan to do much off-roading but plan to drive on the beach and may try some off-roading if I have the chance. Plus, we get a decent amount of snow in the NE. How necessary do you think the active diff is for my use?

Also, I remember seeing early on in the configurator a way to delete the center console. Anyone know anything about that? Is it still an option?
It is exciting to see you ready to order the fabric roof -- very adventurous.

Three compelling reasons to add the small, extra cost up-front for the locking rear differential:

1) You are purchasing a D90, which means that the resale market for your vehicle, at some point in the future, will definitely be folks who really want to off-road.
2) you may find yourself enamoured with off-roading and want to try more interesting and exciting trails and
3) the technology and capability inherent in the locking rear different and terrain response two cannot realistically be added post purchase.

Old 03-10-2021, 05:02 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 140 Likes on 88 Posts

I ordered a D90 back in Jan. I skipped the off-road package as I figured the car has plenty of capability for my skill.... Some good points made about resale value on this thread, though I feel the level of electronics the defender brings with it might lead true off-roading enthusiasts to more analog cars like the Wrangler, the Bronco or even the LR3. Anyway, like you I was aiming for a "cheap" Defender, but I did include the tow hitch receiver (not the tow package with the fancy electronics) and the interactive driver display (just because it seems cool, though more electronics prone to fail). I am not sure I would venture with a canvas roof specially on a new model, I mean LR can't even get their windshields to not leak . Finally, because I have kids riding in the back I got the three zone climate control and rear heated seats (because it gets really cold here in South FL...)

The following 2 users liked this post by Juancl:
angelboing (03-11-2021), Jolly Rancher (03-28-2021)
Old 03-10-2021, 05:39 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Juancl
I ordered a D90 back in Jan. I skipped the off-road package as I figured the car has plenty of capability for my skill.... Some good points made about resale value on this thread, though I feel the level of electronics the defender brings with it might lead true off-roading enthusiasts to more analog cars like the Wrangler, the Bronco or even the LR3. Anyway, like you I was aiming for a "cheap" Defender, but I did include the tow hitch receiver (not the tow package with the fancy electronics) and the interactive driver display (just because it seems cool, though more electronics prone to fail). I am not sure I would venture with a canvas roof specially on a new model, I mean LR can't even get their windshields to not leak . Finally, because I have kids riding in the back I got the three zone climate control and rear heated seats (because it gets really cold here in South FL...)
I will say that during my time of trying to shop used Lr3 and LR4 finding out if there was a locking rear diff was very challenging. Most did not advertise it. I identified some by vin searches. Not sure if this is as big of a concern on the resale market for the masses. Obviously its important to some.

Old 03-10-2021, 07:00 PM
Drifting
Received 49 Likes on 19 Posts

Nice build and thanks for the report on the D90. I haven’t seen one and likely the first one I see will be the one I ordered. My order is scheduled for delivery on April 9th.

I would add/consider the interactive display and clear sight rear view mirror. I would also go ahead and go for the off-road package because it definitely can’t be done after the fact if you ever need it. Before I ordered my 90, I was considering a 110 and noticed that a lot of dealer stock didn’t come equipped with the off-road pack, so thinking further down the road and considering the resale I think it will be something people will be searching for. You’re already adding the off-road tires and they are included in the off-road pack so you’re partly there!

Old 03-11-2021, 06:21 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 698 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by Moretti
I will say that during my time of trying to shop used Lr3 and LR4 finding out if there was a locking rear diff was very challenging. Most did not advertise it. I identified some by vin searches. Not sure if this is as big of a concern on the resale market for the masses. Obviously its important to some.
There exist single on/off after market compressed air lockers for the rear diffs of the the LR3 and LR4 which one can add after purchase. But this is an antiquated technology and is not necessary for use very often. The LR3 air locker came on the market a few years after being introduced, the LR4 (which uses a larger rear diff.) came onto the market much later.

The clutched, electronic rear differential on the New Defender with TR2 is much more sophisticated and is active much more often than the OEM LR3 and LR4 rear lockers. This results in a better on-road drive, much less wheel slippage off-road, less trail damage and there is less risk to damaging the vehicle, as one can maintain momentum at lower speeds.

Last edited by TrioLRowner; 04-26-2021 at 02:39 PM.

Quick Reply: D90 Build Advise