2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D90 Rear Seats

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2021, 04:55 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 432 Likes on 202 Posts

Max 50" till back of front seats in normal position.
so 44" sound right..

1" = 2,54 cm

Last edited by Defendit..; 06-12-2021 at 04:59 AM.
The following users liked this post:
tifighter (06-14-2021)
Old 06-12-2021, 04:28 PM
4wd Low
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GFranklin
We had the Ac overfill issue and a few electrical issues, but the biggest issue right now is the rattling…seems like everything from the front seats back rattles from the Meridian surround sound system…have you noticed it? A D90 X owner in California had the same problem and they tracked it to bad welds !?!?
Bad welds?!?!?! Let's hope not. Luckily, I'm not having major rattling yet. Just the annoying ticking sound coming from the right A pillar (which is a known issue). I did see another post that some guy was driving down the road at 80 and the shroud covering the left A pillar just blew off. I know that Land Rover is not famous for reliability, but as a former Jeep owner, I didn't expect I'd be going backwards.

Old 07-07-2021, 04:50 AM
Drifting
Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by TiggerBen
Hello everybody,

I have a P400 - 90 coming in the next weeks and know this picture from Landrover press very well.
My mom just got her D250 - 90 last week, what a great car but the boot is very small.

The seat does not fold flat.
The picture with my dog shows it in normal case if you just flip it to the front.

The picture with the silver Defender from Landrover uses a trick.
You can remove the bench without any tools, it just clips in at five positions.
If you do this it is nearly flat, see my pictures with the bench removed already.

Overall I have to say, the car is great but the boot of the 90 is way to small,
as Landrover decided to keep the space for the rear seats like in the 110, but
shortened the boot.

I still try to find a solution to put the Dog in the car, was already thinking of
skipping my incoming P400 - D90.

If you have more questions let my know as we already have a D90.

Ben
This is really helpful. Thank you.
Do you have a picture of the underneath of the seat?
Does it feel like this is a deliberate feature of the seat - ie. you can put them in/out frequently for years without breaking the clips? Or is this solution in a pinch and not recommended for frequent use?

Old 07-07-2021, 08:04 AM
4th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello,

I'm not sure if this is for frequent use, I did it 3 times and everything is fine. But the clips should be at low cost.
I have taken it out for everyday use.

Ben

Attached Thumbnails D90 Rear Seats-img_1051.jpeg  
Old 07-08-2021, 06:49 AM
4wd Low
Default Removing rear bench on 90x

Originally Posted by JMF20
Seriously, the rear seat pulls up and out without an issue, no tools required. Takes a second. And can store vertically right in front of the seat backs when you lower those. Now with the X, don't know about the heated/cooled seats option...
I tried this yesterday. Almost works. Strangely, the power cords for the heated seats are clipped into the steel frame “before” the quick-connect. So to disconnect and remove, you need to get those two clips out of a little hole in the frame before disconnecting the power and removing the bench. I tried twisting and pulling a bit but couldn’t get it out and didn’t want to break the little barbs that probably hold it in. I’ll have to learn more about how those clips work later. Maybe pressing on one side with a flat blade screwdriver will release them. Not sure.

Old 07-08-2021, 07:06 AM
4wd Low
Default Comment about space without removing rear bench

For reference, I hauled a box yesterday that was 26 inches high, 48 inches deep and 24 inches wide. I slid it up the angled back seat ramp and to get it in, I needed to move the passenger seat forward and tilt upright. The 48 inch dimension was pretty tight, but I didn’t completely max out moving passenger seat forward. I think you could probably fit something a bit longer if passenger seat was all the way forward and seat back also all the forward.

however, there are two other things to note. Because of the ramp, the front top edge of the box was pressing into the fabric cover on the sunroof. And I was a bit frustrated because I opened the fabric and carefully helped guide it over the point of this box, but then parked and forgot it has a feature to auto-close that fabric if it’s hot out. So it went back over the box without my help to guide it. So up toward the front, around 25 inches is max height if not removing the bench.

and then finally, because of the ramp, the whole box was angled and that put the top rear edge facing straight to the rear window. This “box” I’ve been describing was steel, so I used a pillow to pinch between edge of box and rear window.

Everything turned out fine, but it was a tight fit.

Old 08-01-2021, 03:02 AM
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Have an Australian delivered D90 X, slanting rear seats are a real pest for large dog owners. Have attached a few pictures of my solution.
As per previous posts, the seat cushion removes easily (disconnecting x2 heated seat cables) and allows the back seats to lay flatter. They will lay totally flat if the styrene bolster under the seat cushion is removed as well (x4 torx bolts). Sheet of formply 1100x400 bolted in stead, with cut-outs to receive the seatbelt. Was going to add a bit of padding, although now I’m not entirely sure it needs it. Have a quilted load liner that covers the lot when needed. Works as a better solution for me than stowing the seat in the car, back seats are only used occasionally and are still quite serviceable in their new form by simply folding them open. Not quite as forgiving of this ‘feature’ as some online commentators, can’t understand how this was justified in design terms. In any case, much happier with the usable space Fitch the seats flat.

The following 2 users liked this post by Nige D90:
angelboing (06-04-2022), cbauer210 (10-31-2022)
Old 08-01-2021, 03:40 AM
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Have an Australian delivered D90 X, slanting rear seats are a real pest for large dog owners. Have attached a few pictures of my solution.
As per previous posts, the seat cushion removes easily (disconnecting x2 heated seat cables) and allows the back seats to lay flatter. They will lay totally flat if the styrene bolster under the seat cushion is removed as well (x4 torx bolts). Sheet of formply 1100x400 bolted in stead, with cut-outs to receive the seatbelt. Was going to add a bit of padding, although now I’m not entirely sure it needs it. Have a quilted load liner that covers the lot when needed. Works as a better solution for me than stowing the seat in the car, back seats are only used occasionally and are still quite serviceable in their new form by simply folding them open. Not quite as forgiving of this ‘feature’ as some online commentators, can’t understand how this was justified in design terms. In any case, much happier with the usable space Fitch the seats flat.

The following users liked this post:
4x4 DAVE (09-27-2021)
Old 06-01-2022, 11:02 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please let me know how the conversion goes. I would like to do the same.

Old 06-01-2022, 12:53 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Juancl
Are there D90 owners out there already? Definitely not in the US...
We exist in few numbers. Lol

Quick Reply: D90 Rear Seats