Sponsored by:

Dealers Hidden Costs

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2024, 08:53 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 92 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Manolo
Hi,
I am in the process of buying a D130. I am not 100% locked in and looking for nice options. One thing all dealers in my area have is a treatment of the vehicle. Sometimes you find this under "interior & exterior protection" with names like "XZILON" or "PWC MAX SHIELD". The dealer usually charges $3,5k-4k. Is this actually scam or a real thing that helps the vehicle protection? Have you seen it at your dealer?
Its garbage. A sealant you can apply by yourself if you really wanted. In the end the reason they say they can charge that much is cuz they call it a 'warranty'. so if you get bird poop or other things that etch the paint they say they will somehow take care of it. But I've never heard of how reliable they are to fix issues or if they're like every other 'aftermarket extended warranty' that will find any reason to deny a claim.

The other issue is its applied by the dealer. And I doubt they do any real correction on the paint before laying the sealant down. So if you have any swirl marks or any imperfections all you're doing is sealing it in. I used to work at a dealershp and i wouldn't let them touch my car with a 10 foot pole. Even now for service they'll wash it afterwords but I never let them do it.

Bottom line, for $1k ish you can take it to a detailer who actually knows what they're doing after buying it. Get it detailed, properly paint corrected, and get it ceramic coated. Hell for 4-5k you can probably get the entire front clip and high risk areas wrapped in XPEL or 3M PPF wrap. A far more effective and higher quality end result for the money.

Your challenge, getting them to leave the truck the hell alone. That was a battle for me with my dealership too. They said 'oh but we do these on all our cars before delivery.' I said did you do it yet? The answer was no (it had recently come off the truck).. said good... dont touch the body in any way other than whatever minimum work you have to do to get it ready for delivery (remove any wrap, quick basic wash). - I'm not paying it, dont touch it.

End result...