2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Defender 110 2024 front suspension

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2023, 03:59 PM
Winching
Received 293 Likes on 190 Posts

Surely that can't be the case on a brand new vehicle?

Old 10-27-2023, 12:03 PM
Overlanding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Low Country
So if I’m understanding this conversation correctly, when I start up in the morning or after parked for a while and my 2023 Defender 90 air suspension lifts up on its own, I’m screwed and need new air suspension?
No. It's natural for the suspension to adjust itself a little on startup, especially if where you park is not absolutely level.

Old 10-27-2023, 12:35 PM
Winching
Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts

Toggle the switch up and down to find or level it? Do you have a lift kit?

Old 10-27-2023, 01:37 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another update: Went back to the dealer with the video proof and without any other troubleshooting they have arbitrarily decided that they will order a replacement driver side front air shock. I asked why only one and why not both and why not the valve block as well. The service advisor just gave me a BS explanation oh how if they order too much Land Rover will send inspectors etc. I wrote an email next day asking to talk to a manager and after I did talk to a manger he agreed that they need to get the car in and do proper troubleshooting and find the faulty parts. He told me that they need to send the faulty parts to Land Rover to be checked after the repair is done and if they prove to be good and not faulty the dealership has to pay for them.
Also talking to the service advisor another thing came up. They noticed that the cooling fans are going on high too often after I shut down the car. They said that it might be a water pump issue and they will look into that. He also told me there is a national backorder for water pumps...
That got me worried because the I had an issue with overheating a few months ago, but a software upgrade took care of that and I have since put 2000 miles on the car and no issues. Seemed at the time that this was a false alert, but now what he told me got me wondering...

Old 11-09-2023, 01:56 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 127 Likes on 86 Posts

I’m also noticing what I think is the rear suspension raising up a little bit at every stop during stop and go driving.

Old 11-11-2023, 03:51 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

about to place a build order with my dealer. Wondering if I want air suspension after reading this thread. Are the coils as comfortable to drive on? What's the ground clearance (without mods) on the coils? Thanks

Old 11-12-2023, 07:28 AM
Winching
Received 293 Likes on 190 Posts

The coil springs are fine. Obviously you can't raise or lower the vehicle but unless you plan extreme off road activities you don't need it.

Old 11-12-2023, 07:56 AM
Mudding
Received 157 Likes on 90 Posts

A year and a half ago I was having odd issues with the air suspension. Aside from what is mentioned here (lowering after parking, raising when starting - sometimes), I was also noticing it adjusting when driving. The dealership ran tests and found nothing and asked if a tech could take it overnight, which I approved. Fortunately it adjusted mid-drive for him and they replaced the front air coils. I now rarely notice it adjust when driving, but most of the time, after sitting overnight, the front comes back up, and I've heard / seen it air down very slightly after parking in the garage, though I've never been sure WHY. At this point, a year and a half later and no other issues, I just assume it's normal operation, especially since I've seen/heard it, vs it just slowly dropping. I also can't explain why sometimes, it stays as-is. Maybe it has to do with how hard I back it over the small bump into the garage or something. In any case, seems fine.

The following users liked this post:
AdvGuy (11-13-2023)
Old 11-12-2023, 08:42 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 127 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by D-Fens
A year and a half ago I was having odd issues with the air suspension. Aside from what is mentioned here (lowering after parking, raising when starting - sometimes), I was also noticing it adjusting when driving. The dealership ran tests and found nothing and asked if a tech could take it overnight, which I approved. Fortunately it adjusted mid-drive for him and they replaced the front air coils. I now rarely notice it adjust when driving, but most of the time, after sitting overnight, the front comes back up, and I've heard / seen it air down very slightly after parking in the garage, though I've never been sure WHY. At this point, a year and a half later and no other issues, I just assume it's normal operation, especially since I've seen/heard it, vs it just slowly dropping. I also can't explain why sometimes, it stays as-is. Maybe it has to do with how hard I back it over the small bump into the garage or something. In any case, seems fine.
D-Fens,
thank you so much for the help. So, in short my front drops evenly a 1/2” and the rear drops an 1/8” after parked overnight almost always but not every day. Also during driving it appears as if the rear suspension raises a little bit every time I come to a red light.

It’s going to the dealership next week for assessment. I will update.

The following users liked this post:
AdvGuy (11-13-2023)