Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Defender 130, opinion

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2021, 01:06 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 262 Likes on 138 Posts
Default Defender 130, opinion

Since it was just announced today, wanted to get people's opinions. The 130 will run on the same wheelbase but will add an extra 14 inches in the back plus the tire carrier. The size of the 130 will be similar to the Toyota Sequioa. The one complaint from my wife has been how small the back is and I don't disagree. Once we fill it with a cooler a dog kennel and luggage for three, space gets tight quickly. We make it work and space will open up once our son gets to be 5 and our one dog gets out of puppy phase. ( we can put him in a harness and move him to the second row with our other dog)

Old 03-05-2021, 02:30 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 71 Likes on 25 Posts

I don't get the 130. By not extending the wheelbase, all you are getting is a substantial compromise of the departure angle of the 110 for the sake of extra passenger space and IMO if you're looking for a family/gear hauler with very roomy 3 rows and more comfort from a longer wheelbase, the Sequioa or the new Yukon AT4 would be a far better and more reliable platform.

The 130 to me, without a wheelbase change, is a compromised 110 with more shortcomings than benefits.

The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (06-22-2021)
Old 03-05-2021, 11:55 PM
Winching
Received 561 Likes on 252 Posts

I wouldn't bet on the spare being mounted on the tail end of a 130. With that type of extra rear overhang mounting it under the cargo area, LR4 and Disco5 style, should not affect departure angle or cargo room much anyway, would keep overall vehicle length more manageable for the average size garage, and open up the possibility of a powered liftgate instead of a heavy-ish door in the back, which families, moms especially (the obvious target market) would probably like better.

I think the Disco5 will be in danger of extinction in markets where the 130 is introduced, such as here in North America, although it willl probably look like a bargain by comparison, since the 130 will surely cost more than a similarly equipped 110.

The following 5 users liked this post by umbertob:
ADVAW8S (03-08-2021), angelboing (06-22-2021), catman (03-09-2021), PaulLR (03-06-2021), TrioLRowner (03-06-2021)
Old 03-06-2021, 10:55 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 700 Likes on 405 Posts

OK, so with the wheel underneath, a more suitable third row, Defender styling and a V8, we will have a replacement of the LR4 (for those who could not digest D5 styling) and the D5 in North America. We also have a more suitable sleeping space for tall folks. Now, I understand why the V8 is being launched.

I suppose one should be seated when being told the price.

Last edited by TrioLRowner; 03-06-2021 at 10:58 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by TrioLRowner:
angelboing (03-08-2021), merrion13 (03-06-2021)
Old 03-06-2021, 12:38 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 71 Likes on 25 Posts

Where does this leave the Discovery? For being 1 of the 3 core 'families' within Land Rover they're doing an awful lot to ex-communicate this family member. Although as noted, the price delta b/n a D130 and the Disco is probably going to be hefty enough to keep it as the 'value' 7 seater in the lineup.

Old 03-06-2021, 12:54 PM
Mudding
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by merrion13
Where does this leave the Discovery? For being 1 of the 3 core 'families' within Land Rover they're doing an awful lot to ex-communicate this family member. Although as noted, the price delta b/n a D130 and the Disco is probably going to be hefty enough to keep it as the 'value' 7 seater in the lineup.
Seems to be a fair amount of "meh" for the Discovery here. Wouldn't one consider the interior slightly more upscale than the Defender? Not everyone wants exposed rivets(!). Also, the cargo area is wider and the load floor is flatter with the seven seater. And a liftgate sometimes just makes more sense. I feel like people are dismissing the D5 because the Defender is "new."

I really wanted to get a Defender, but the MPG is atrocious (in the diesel-less US anyway) and the cargo area is compromised for the overall length (w/spare tire).

TrioLRowner (03-06-2021)
Old 03-06-2021, 03:07 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 700 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by eelpout
Seems to be a fair amount of "meh" for the Discovery here. Wouldn't one consider the interior slightly more upscale than the Defender? Not everyone wants exposed rivets(!). Also, the cargo area is wider and the load floor is flatter with the seven seater. And a liftgate sometimes just makes more sense. I feel like people are dismissing the D5 because the Defender is "new."

I really wanted to get a Defender, but the MPG is atrocious (in the diesel-less US anyway) and the cargo area is compromised for the overall length (w/spare tire).
Yes, and if (when?) the D5 is no longer available with a LO speed gear box (as has occurred with the rest of the Discovery line and the bottom few rungs of the RR line), it should help drive in a hefty price difference between the 130 and the D5, I suspect.

I agree I think the D5 will find a sufficient market -- focused squarely on the family school-run and shopping run mall market --- without the extra costs of off-road leadership.

It will be interesting to see what actually occurs.

Last edited by TrioLRowner; 03-06-2021 at 03:09 PM.
PaulLR (03-07-2021)
Old 03-07-2021, 08:49 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 681 Likes on 409 Posts

Coming from an LR4, I do miss the extra space in the cargo area. I'd also prefer the spare tire stored under the vehicle rather than in the rear window. I can see myself moving onto a 130 in a couple of years. However, the P400 is plenty powerful to move the extra 20 inches and I don't want the 22" wheels that come with the V8.

angelboing (06-22-2021)
Old 03-07-2021, 03:25 PM
Mudding
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by PaulLR
Coming from an LR4, I do miss the extra space in the cargo area. I'd also prefer the spare tire stored under the vehicle rather than in the rear window. I can see myself moving onto a 130 in a couple of years. However, the P400 is plenty powerful to move the extra 20 inches and I don't want the 22" wheels that come with the V8.
I miss my L4 too, but I also like my current '17 Disco 5 TD6. I've had rear mounted spare tires and side swing gates/doors ('88 Pathfinder & '95? Isuzu Trooper). The tires get in the way of tow hitch accessories like bike carriers (yeah, there are bar extensions) and add weight to the swing doors, causing them to have a mind of their own on hills and such. I don't miss either .

angelboing (03-08-2021)
Old 03-07-2021, 07:30 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 140 Likes on 88 Posts

Well, seems this seems to be watering down the whole three family concept, which I personally saw as one that was relatively well defined and executed. But then again pretty much what many car manufacturers are doing (e.g. I stopped trying to make sense of BMW's current line up a while ago). As the extremely current happy owner of a D5 (technically it's my wife's) and future owner of a D90 (that one will be mine) I would never trade the D5 for the D130 and would hate it if they start watering down the off-road capabilities of the D5 or urbanizing the Defender. BTW the lack of the spare tire makes the 130 look, from the side, more like a tall Ford Flex than a Defender

Quick Reply: Defender 130, opinion